My Journal

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
topdog

My Journal

Postby topdog » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:36 pm

My journal begins following surgery on Sept. 6th, 2016. I've noticed other posters started a journal and I think its a good idea; beneficial to the community.
I'm hoping to get some comments in response to some of the things I am experiencing by others who have been there - and also to provide information to others who are still deciding on an implant.

I've been a member of this site since Oct 2013. I'm 60 and it took me a long time to decide to do the surgery. I never believed I would do it and in fact I never wanted to do it. Gradually though, my mixed results after running the gamut of pills, pump, shots, etc became less mixed until very few good results with partner sex or masturbation. As I reflect on the past, I can identify the decline began in my early 40's but didn't become unacceptable until the last year or so. By that I mean, occasional boners; totally unpredictable and unreliable.

As you see I'm only a few weeks post op. I do not like pain or even discomfort but I realize its normal so I'm hopeful for a good future. At first I felt terrible pain around my crotch that made most activities unpleasant. I experienced burning upon urinating and I was wondering if I made a mistake. After a week the pain is gone everywhere except for the penis. I'm exercising in the gym as before and I no longer have burning when urinating so I am glad that's over. The pain that I feel in the penis should probably be described more accurately as discomfort that's occasional. Sometimes I feel pinching when sitting. I experience a dull ache or soreness that is pretty consistent throughout the day. By the way, I see the doctor tomorrow for the first time since surgery and I'm not looking forward to him handling it because I'm still sore there. However, I understand I can't wait to long to learn how to use it, "cycle" etc.

By the way, I have a few questions for the doctor that I'll post here so that I might benefit from others experience.
1) What's the general length of recovery? Will I reach a point of no discomfort or nearly none?
2) What should I expect from my first attempt at intercourse or having oral sex? I read one poster on another forum state that it was painful.
3) What about spontaneous erection potential? Will that ever happen again without the pump?
4) Is "cycling" necessary? How often?

Thanks for any responses.

Lost Sheep

Re: My Journal

Postby Lost Sheep » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:45 am

1) What's the general length of recovery? Will I reach a point of no discomfort or nearly none?
Depends on how much trauma you experienced during the surgery and how quickly you recover in general. In other words, every person is different
2) What should I expect from my first attempt at intercourse or having oral sex? I read one poster on another forum state that it was painful.
Again, it depends.
3) What about spontaneous erection potential? Will that ever happen again without the pump?
Almost guaranteed to never happen again. Did your doctor not explain this?
You want to cycle (following your doctor's advice) in order to not allow a scar tissue capsule to form around either the implant cylinders or the reservoir.

DEFINITELY talk to your doctor about the post-op protocol to follow.

I am not a Doctor, nor even have an implant myself, but have done a LOT of research. Have a look at the article in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6764
It starts out focused on pre-op vacuum therapy, but does go on with post-op rehabilitation.
and this article
https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... prosthesis

Like any surgery, physical therapy afterwards is very important and you and your Doctor should discuss it thoroughly.

Good luck.

Lost Sheep
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

topdog

Postby topdog » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:48 am

Will do. Thanks for the response.

dirtman1993

Postby dirtman1993 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:36 am

Pain gone after 3 weeks, no pain with first intecourse, no morning erections except for blood now filling shaft and some to the head. Some guys get floppy head as they call it and I do not and have never had this. In the morning I get full enough to masturbate and if I pump it is like before I lost erections. Head is very firm and it works great.

I expect two years before I get my full length back and if it comes sooner, that will be great. If not, no big deal as it works. My lady like to watch as ai pump and while inflated lying in bed at night she looks over and sees my erection that is hers to play with. This is why we all go through this surgery.

Take your time, don't worry about size at this time and cycle as directed.
Implanted March 2nd by Dr. Kramer with AMS/LGX. Had a problem lower left (scar tissue) and he placed a larger (thicker) implant as you can here on the YouTube video. Got all back, ED over 10 years before Implant.

Anonymous 3

Postby Anonymous 3 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:23 pm

Had my implant 16 months ago.

1. Pain gone? Generally 6-8 weeks? As was pointed out, it is so individual it is hard to say. Dirtman said 3 weeks. I don't think that is typical though.

There will come a time when you will not even feel or notice you have an implant. One day you will get busy doing something and later you will say, "Hey, I completely forgot I had an implant for a bit there." Right now as I am sitting and typing this, I am concentrating to see if I can feel any part of the implant. The anwer is no, nothing.

2. What to expect? It again depends. How long have you waited? Did you try while you were still in some discomfort?. How vigorous were you and your partner. There are too many variables. YOU have to judge and decide when that first time is. How much discomfort or pain are you willing to put up with.

3. Short answer, no. Two reasons. If you couldn't get an erections before the surgery, you definitely will not get them after without using the IPP. Secondly, the cylinders have replaced the erectile tissue in the cavernosa. While there may be some residual tissue left it will not be enough to produce an erection.

Note about floppy head. This is caused by the surgeon not placing the cylinder tips far enough into the glans during surgery. The tips are a solid, rigid material and do not inflate with the cylinders. It is this stiffness that gives the glans support when the cylinders inflate. You may be lucky and have glans erection during arousal, but if you didn't before surgery, you won't afterwards.

4. Yes cycling is necessary. During the early stages it is important to keep the capsule which forms around anything implanted in your body from getting too small and restricting how much the cylinders can expand and how much fluid the reservoir can handle. You of course want maximum expansion of both. The need for cylinder cycling is obvious. The reservoir, maybe not so much. If the capsule gets too small while it is forming the reservoir will be compressed and not hold as much saline as you deflate. The saline has to go somewhere so if it can't return to the reservoir it stays in the cylinders, meaning you have a permanent semi-erection. Keep cycling as per your doctor's advice. Early on I did at least two cycles a day. Now, after 16 months, about once or twice every other day or so.

Hope this helps. Good luck on your recovery.

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:27 pm

Well said, Watsup. I have read many stories here from men not understanding #4 and substantial literature suggesting a general neglect of adequate post-op followup.

Lost Sheep
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

dg_moore

Postby dg_moore » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:30 pm

Lost Sheep wrote:Well said, Watsup. I have read many stories here from men not understanding #4 and substantial literature suggesting a general neglect of adequate post-op followup.

Lost Sheep

On the other hand, when I got my implant in 2008 I recall no instructions for any post-op rehab or cycling. I never had an "activation" appointment - I inflated when I was first able, at about 12 weeks, but beyond that I didn't really do anything - pumped it up for a couple of minutes every now and then. I've never used the implant and am unlikely to, and currently I inflate for a few minutes every couple of months just to keep "stretched and healthy," per Dr. Kramer's advice. I lost no length as a result of the procedure, and my length has not changed after 8+ years. I'm sure that aggressive cycling post-op can be beneficial, but from my results it does not seem necessarily to be crucial. Everybody's different, though, and as with anything in life, YMMV.
Dave, 80, Maryland - Implant (Titan) 2008 by Dr. Andrew Kramer (failed Sept 2020) - never used due to a stroke that, among other things, ended my sex life.
Life is not the way it's supposed to be, it's the way it is.

topdog

Postby topdog » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:25 pm

Lost Sheep wrote:1) What's the general length of recovery? Will I reach a point of no discomfort or nearly none?
Depends on how much trauma you experienced during the surgery and how quickly you recover in general. In other words, every person is different
Again, it depends.
Almost guaranteed to never happen again. Did your doctor not explain this?
You want to cycle (following your doctor's advice) in order to not allow a scar tissue capsule to form around either the implant cylinders or the reservoir.

DEFINITELY talk to your doctor about the post-op protocol to follow.

I am not a Doctor, nor even have an implant myself, but have done a LOT of research. Have a look at the article in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6764
It starts out focused on pre-op vacuum therapy, but does go on with post-op rehabilitation.
and this article
https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... prosthesis

Like any surgery, physical therapy afterwards is very important and you and your Doctor should discuss it thoroughly.

Good luck.

Lost Sheep

Thanks Lost Sheep. Been on the forum long? I'm looking to get some more feedback from anyone who is in my situation; 60ish and single if you know anyone.

topdog

Postby topdog » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:38 pm

3 weeks: Thanks for the comments all. I saw the doctor. He gave me a plastic part to practice with that is supposed to replicate the implanted piece. It makes me wonder how difficult or easy it will be come to find the inflate and deflate mechanisms once I start using it.

After three weeks he was going to show me how to use the device on myself. Problem was that I was a bit too squeamish. I have a very low threshold of pain and really wasn't looking forward to getting handled down there. Still sore so he sent me home with another appointment to return in three more weeks.

I have been a member for a few years but not very active so I don't know many members. It looks like most are older than me (60) and married. I'm wondering if I can get some more feedback from anyone who is in my situation; 60ish and single if anyone fits that description and is willing to share information.

Appreciate all comments regardless.

Thanks,

Topdog/Miami

DougYetii

Postby DougYetii » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:10 pm

I was implanted the same day as you! 3 weeks and I have no pain. I never did have much. I do get soreness when there is prolonged pressure on the inside of my scrotum from the pump. There is a very small amount of soreness in the shaft, but only noticeable when palpated. I have the most soreness at the ends of the implants. I have cheated and inflated to about 80% a few times, but that irritates the tips more. No more thickening in the scrotum, or swelling anywhere. We may take a gingerly run at 'it' tonight.

It sounds like we are having very similar experiences.
Implanted 9/6/2016 by Bruce Garber
Titan 22cm with 1.5 tips.
lost 3/4 inch, gained it back over the year. Currently 6.5l by 6.25g.

Best decision ever!

Return to “Implants”