Radical prostatectomy after implant.

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
JDavid

Radical prostatectomy after implant.

Postby JDavid » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:15 am

I got my implant in 2013 and it has been great. This summer my PSA level went from 1.6 a year ago to 3.7. Dr. karpman doubts it is cancer for a couple of reasons:
1. There is some kind of algorithm related to PSA levels by age and the probability of cancer and my levels have been low.
2. The rate of increase is more than is typical with cancer.
I have a follow-up PSA in a couple of weeks and just trying to think ahead. Any comments of surgery after an implant and/or about best cancer surgeons will be very much appreciated. I am willing to travel for the best.
I am sixty-six years of age and dealing with gradually worsening ED for twenty years. At sixty-three I wanted something that worked reliably. I got an AMS 700 LGX implant in 6/25/13. I am entirely pleased with the outcome. My surgeon was Dr. Karpman.

LMCatman

Re: Radical prostatectomy after implant.

Postby LMCatman » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:43 am

Not remembering the exact numbers, my psa went from "nowhere" to "very high" between my regular "annual physical" (about 15 months)....had RP, result being removal of an aggressive cancer on the "rind" of the prostate. 6 years later, all is well.....particularly thanks to Coloplast and Dr Perito....

Good luck!!!
73 Years old. RP Oct 2010, No erections after, Botched Titan implant April, 2013, Successful Titan revision, April , 2014 by Dr. Paul Perito, Miami. Titan failure Feb 2017. Rev. by Dr Perito March 1st, 2017. Titan failure Nov 2020. New Titan January 2021

oldgoat

Postby oldgoat » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:46 am

Similar situation. I had my titan installed about 2 years ago. Very happy with it.
6 months ago my PSA had risen from 1.2 to 4. I had it rechecked and it was 2.
2 months ago it was 6.5. I had a biopsy and it came back with cancer in 4 of the 12 segments.
3+3 in two segments and 3+4 in the other two. Gleason score of 7. Tumor stage at least T1c nxmx.
I had laparascopic prostate removal 6 days ago and will have my catheter removed tomorrow.
The doctor also removed my lymph nodes on the left side but not on the right side as that would have damaged my titan.
No report yet on the extent of the cancer but I am optimistic.
Implanted with colorplast Titan 3 years ago. Davinci radical prostatectomy 6 months ago. Very happy with the outcome of both procedures.
Dr Jonas Benson. Uropartners, Wheaton, IL.

oldgoat

Postby oldgoat » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:51 am

P.S. I am 72 years old.
My doctor for both the implant and prostatectomy was Jonas Benson at uropartners in Wheaton il
Implanted with colorplast Titan 3 years ago. Davinci radical prostatectomy 6 months ago. Very happy with the outcome of both procedures.

Boulder

Postby Boulder » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:40 am

Do nothing except change you diet to the Mediterranean, cut out the stress in your life use the recommended supplements, exercise and your PSA and Gleason score will go away if not disappear. Don't let anyone cut or radiate you.

oldgoat

Postby oldgoat » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:14 pm

Boulder,. Please explain your reasoning for this approach.
I got my pathology report yesterday. My prostate was removed and the cancer had not yet spread.
With your approach I fear a far worse outcome.

JDavid

Postby JDavid » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:30 pm

Thanks guys. Hopefully I have dodged cancer for a while longer. However, if I have a biopsy and it is positive for cancer, I will have surgery. Watching cancer grow is not my idea of great entertainment.
I am sixty-six years of age and dealing with gradually worsening ED for twenty years. At sixty-three I wanted something that worked reliably. I got an AMS 700 LGX implant in 6/25/13. I am entirely pleased with the outcome. My surgeon was Dr. Karpman.

Return to “Implants”