Weird question

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
jgf711

Weird question

Postby jgf711 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:40 am

Are any of you who have had the implant bicyclists? I bike a lot and I wonder how uncomfortable it might be to bike with an implant considering both the implant itself and the pump.

oddjob

Re: Weird question

Postby oddjob » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:53 pm

I am not a bicyclist, but the way my pump sits (centered at the bottom of the scrotum), I know that I could not ride a bicycle...it would be too painful...!

Now, I am 5 weeks post-op, so it may get better with time.

Maybe someone with more post-op time under their belt (no pun intended) will chime in to see if they can ride a bike...

Joe
Implanted with AMS 700 LGX on July 29, 2016 by Dr. Stackhouse Tripler Army Medical Center
59 yr old type II diabetic with artificial aortic heart valve

dg_moore

Postby dg_moore » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:49 pm

I just did a quick search in the Implants forum for "bike implant" and got 58 hits - give this a try and you'll see lots of comments:
search.php?keywords=bike+implant
Dave, 80, Maryland - Implant (Titan) 2008 by Dr. Andrew Kramer (failed Sept 2020) - never used due to a stroke that, among other things, ended my sex life.
Life is not the way it's supposed to be, it's the way it is.

Lost Sheep

Re: Weird question-Bicycle Seat

Postby Lost Sheep » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:54 pm

Not a weird question at all. But if you had included the word "bicyclist" in the subject line you might get more respondents.

I have no implant yet, but I recall reading one implantee who is able to ride (was preparing for a half-century event at the time), reporting no trouble with the implant while riding, but some accommodation required for the pump.

Another post I recall recommended changing your bicycle seat to one of those with the cut-out center.

I would not expect to ride during recovery, though.

Good luck.

Lost Sheep
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

jonbaldbg

Postby jonbaldbg » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:04 pm

I read, I think on Dr. Eid's site, that if you are going to cycle you need to replace your seat with a wider one and one that has a gap in the middle. You don't want pressure on that pump.
62 years old. ED for years. High BP and meds have done me in. AMS 700 CX /3.0 cm RTE Implanted by Andrew Kramer on 10/12/16. Involved revision to relocate tubes and pump performed 12/29/16 by Dr. Knoll of Nashville, TN.

OttoHS

Postby OttoHS » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:27 pm

If you go to the search link posted above, you will see my more detailed comment. I have had no difficulty with 40-50 mile rides and have not changed the saddle on my bike (Fizik Arione). After I had some discomfort beginning at mile 90 on a 116 mile ride in June I have been thinking about getting a Arione saddle with a channel; my current one is the old model without one.

LMCatman

Postby LMCatman » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:04 am

I ride with grandkids.....easily with occasional "bursts" to get ahead of the pack. After my first (botched and painful) implant, i bought a seat with no "horn?". Worked ok. After my successful revision by Dr Perito (April 2014), i switched back to my original Cheeks (big fat soft) seat and have no discomfort at all.....good luck....
73 Years old. RP Oct 2010, No erections after, Botched Titan implant April, 2013, Successful Titan revision, April , 2014 by Dr. Paul Perito, Miami. Titan failure Feb 2017. Rev. by Dr Perito March 1st, 2017. Titan failure Nov 2020. New Titan January 2021

Boulder

Postby Boulder » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:11 am

I ride both motorcycles and bicycles and have no problem now. I asked Dr. Carrion to place my pump low and behind my balls which is where it is. I do wear padded bike shorts on the bike and loose jeans on the motorcycle. It did take 3 months to get adjusted to it. Now 4 months post op I don't notice it's there.

Return to “Implants”