Can you palpate your RTE?

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Lost Sheep

Can you palpate your RTE?

Postby Lost Sheep » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:16 am

In other words, how deep is the noninflatable portion (the RTE) of the 3-piece prosthesis? and how close to the surface can it conveniently be located?

n thinking about the idea of a pumpless inflatable prosthetic, it seems to me that if the control valve were to be at the top end of the rear tip extender (RTE) it would be less prone to damage.

The problem is, I don't know if the user could reach it to operate the valve. So, my question is, on inflatable implants, how deep is the RTE buried in yo9ur groin and could you reach a toggle button there? A longer RTE, might be worth it, if it made the unit more robust, leading to longer unit life.

I appreciate any information y'all can give me.

Lost Sheep
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

roninhouston

Re: Can you palpate your RTE?

Postby roninhouston » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:31 pm

Lost Sheep wrote:In other words, how deep is the noninflatable portion (the RTE) of the 3-piece prosthesis? and how close to the surface can it conveniently be located?

The penis has three erectile masses:
--two corpara cavernosa, covered by the tunica albuginea
--one corpus spongiosum (contains the glan and the urethra)
The cylinders repalce the c.cavernosa. The c.spongiosum is on top of them, looking from the bottom. All of this is covered with layers of flesh/skin (tunica albuginea) and filled with blood.
So the RTE is under the c.spongiosum. RTE's also get hard when the IPP is inflated. When inflated and aroused you can feel all three masses, more like hard veins, running thru the perineal area. RTEs are attached or extended to the pubic bone. RTE form the root of the IPPs and provide the leverage when erect from the pubic arch.
An thinking about the idea of a pumpless inflatable prosthetic, it seems to me that if the control valve were to be at the top end of the rear tip extender (RTE) it would be less prone to damage.
The problem is, I don't know if the user could reach it to operate the valve. So, my question is, on inflatable implants, how deep is the RTE buried in yo9ur groin and could you reach a toggle button there? A longer RTE, might be worth it, if it made the unit more robust, leading to longer unit life.
I appreciate any information y'all can give me.
Lost Sheep

Seems like you are running out of RTE space to put a button on that end of it, it would have to be on the bottom of shaft to seem natural. Otherwise you have a bump on the top of your shaft. I have two 5 cm RTEs, they start at the bottom of my shaft and go almost to my anus, i.e., the bottom third of the penis.

IMHO would look to put a button in the scrotum area, where the pump is now. It would be easy to reach. As for as RTE life, have not heard of any problems with them, most problems seem to be with the pump bulbs wearing out.

NOTE: I am an engineer not a urologist, the only anatomy I have had was in high school and via Google search. If any of the above info needs clarification, please do so.
Last edited by roninhouston on Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bionic with AMS CX on August 14, 2015. Inflated September 15th by Dr. Robert Cornell.
Was 69 with VL
. Pre-Op VED Protocol Therapy and Post-Op VED Protocol Therapy: Pre-Op length by 6th month.

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:04 am

roninhouston wrote: RTE's also get hard when the IPP is inflated. When inflated and aroused you can feel all three masses, more like hard veins, running thru the perineal area. RTEs are attached or extended to the pubic bone. RTE form the root of the IPPs and provide the leverage when erect from the pubic arch.

Having never seen a prosthesis in person, I do not know how hard its material is or that its hardness changed during inflation. I thought it was not any more flexible than say, a solid nylon block. So, I thought embedding as much of the high-pressure tubing and valves inside would lead to longer life for those components. No exposed connectors and no pinching or tangling of tubing.
roninhouston wrote:Seems like you are running out of RTE space to put a button on that end of it, it would have to be on the bottom of shaft to seem natural. Otherwise you have a bump on the top of your shaft. I have two 5 cm RTEs, they start at the bottom of my shaft and go almost to my anus, i.e., the bottom third of the penis.

IMHO would look to put a button in the scrotum area, where the pump is now. It would be easy to reach. As for as RTE life, have not heard of any problems with them, most problems seem to be with the pump bulbs wearing out.

Yes the available space is the great unknown. I have no idea of the dimensions available inside the human body, so that is the source of my question. Is there enough rear extender to contain the parts If and enough of it able to be touched by an operator (yourself or partner) to 1) inflate the device and 2) open the deflation valve? And still be of a practical size installed?

If a solid rear tip to the inflatables were to be long enough to mount a toggle button of some kind (Maybe a button that reaches from side to side of the rear extender. Push it on the left and it's closed, push it to the right and it's open) or a ball-point pen type button somewhere, or going high-tech, a valve that could be toggled open or closed by passing a magnet across your pubis or under your scrotum. (DO NOT LOSE THE MAGNET WHILE ERECT!) Of course, MRI machines would be a problem here, too.

What I was contemplating in my topic "Pumpless Implant" was some way to 1) minimize the pieces in the scrotum (mine would be a tight fit), 2) minimize the fragility of the connectors, tubing, pump and valves by enclosing them in a protective casting and 3) enable inflation without pumping by hand, instead using foreplay and the initial actions of beginning coitus to do the inflation.

Key to the practicality are three things. 1) That initial inflation could be done by moving the upper end of the Rear Extender (which depends on you being able to manipulate it), 2) some way to operate the deflation control valve and 3) the volume of the pumping bulbs being large enough to deliver enough fluid to the inflatable tubes.

The two big questions are,

would a rear extender long enough to be worked by hand for the valve and the initial pumping be too long and stick out too far forward to allow normal flaccidity?

I am pretty sure the two individual RTE's in current use are too small to contain my design, so molding the two into a single, larger diameter rear tip extender would be necessary. Would that size be too large to fit in a man's groin? For that matter, why are there separate RTE's for the separate inflatable tubes? I get why there are two tubes, but a single "mount" for the two tubes seems to me simpler. If it's a matter of individual sizing of the left and right tubes, having a two recesses in a single rear tip module would work, as sizing shims could to in the recesses.

Note, I try to use proper terminology, but I am a layman and many of the medical terms throw me. For example your description of the tissues and flesh overlaying the IPP takes some real imagination on my part, and I hope I got it right.

Thanks for reading. I hope I didn't ramble on too long.
Lost Sheep
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023

roninhouston

Postby roninhouston » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:19 pm

Lost Sheep wrote:
roninhouston wrote: RTE's also get hard when the IPP is inflated. When inflated and aroused you can feel all three masses, more like hard veins, running thru the perineal area. RTEs are attached or extended to the pubic bone. RTE form the root of the IPPs and provide the leverage when erect from the pubic arch.

Having never seen a prosthesis in person, I do not know how hard its material is or that its hardness changed during inflation.

[b]Did not understand you had were not a part of the Bionic Brotherhood and not seen a prosthesis in a person. This is a link to "penis anatomy"..........
https://www.google.com/search?q=corpus+ ... 8JwL3pM%3A

.......and there are several YouTube videos of the complete IPP operation and others show the IPP inflated.

Also there are some connectors and no pinching or tangling of tubing.

This is not a problem with me.

roninhouston wrote:Seems like you are running out of RTE space to put a button on that end of it, it would have to be on the bottom of shaft to seem natural. Otherwise you have a bump on the top of your shaft. I have two 5 cm RTEs, they start at the bottom of my shaft and go almost to my anus, i.e., the bottom third of the penis.

Yes the available space is the great unknown. I have no idea of the dimensions available inside the human body, so that is the source of my question. Is there enough rear extender to contain the parts If and enough of it able to be touched by an operator (yourself or partner) to 1) inflate the device and 2) open the deflation valve? And still be of a practical size installed?

If a solid rear tip to the inflatables were to be long enough to mount a toggle button of some kind (Maybe a button that reaches from side to side of the rear extender. Push it on the left and it's closed, push it to the right and it's open) or a ball-point pen type button somewhere, or going high-tech, a valve that could be toggled open or closed by passing a magnet across your pubis or under your scrotum. (DO NOT LOSE THE MAGNET WHILE ERECT!) Of course, MRI machines would be a problem here, too.

Space is not a problem, in that we current have a plastic block (button for inflating and deflating 1/2" x 1/2" x 1" and a pump bulb 3/4" dia x 1" long attacthed). Go to "Treatments" above and look at the IPP parts in the pictures. Forget the magnet, another thing to lose and could be embarassing.

What I was contemplating in my topic "Pumpless Implant" was some way to 1) minimize the pieces in the scrotum (mine would be a tight fit), 2) minimize the fragility of the connectors, tubing, pump and valves by enclosing them in a protective casting and 3) enable inflation without pumping by hand, instead using foreplay and the initial actions of beginning coitus to do the inflation.

You have gone way pass my knowledge but a self activating erection would require getting the signal from the brain to make it start to inflate. Great idea but 1) this is not a problem that has been solve before with current technology and 2) those with IPPs have no problem with pushing a button. We currently and pushing buttons and squeezing bulbs 20 are more times.

Key to the practicality are three things. 1) That initial inflation could be done by moving the upper end of the Rear Extender (which depends on you being able to manipulate it), 2) some way to operate the deflation control valve and 3) the volume of the pumping bulbs being large enough to deliver enough fluid to the inflatable tubes.

1. is not a problem. 2. a plastic block valve like the current one. 3. The size of the reservoir and how much saline is determined by the tube size. The IPP Operation Manuel tells the surgeon how many cc's of saline based on cylinder size used.

The two big questions are,

would a rear extender long enough to be worked by hand for the valve and the initial pumping be too long and stick out too far forward to allow normal flaccidity?

I am pretty sure the two individual RTE's in current use are too small to contain my design, so molding the two into a single, larger diameter rear tip extender would be necessary. Would that size be too large to fit in a man's groin? For that matter, why are there separate RTE's for the separate inflatable tubes? I get why there are two tubes, but a single "mount" for the two tubes seems to me simpler. If it's a matter of individual sizing of the left and right tubes, having a two recesses in a single rear tip module would work, as sizing shims could to in the recesses.

Note, I try to use proper terminology, but I am a layman and many of the medical terms throw me. For example your description of the tissues and flesh overlaying the IPP takes some real imagination on my part, and I hope I got it right.

The link above should help you with the terminology, but you don't have to imagine anything, look at your own, it is the name of the skin covering your shaft.

Thanks for reading. I hope I didn't ramble on too long.
Lost Sheep
Bionic with AMS CX on August 14, 2015. Inflated September 15th by Dr. Robert Cornell.
Was 69 with VL
. Pre-Op VED Protocol Therapy and Post-Op VED Protocol Therapy: Pre-Op length by 6th month.

Anonymous 3

Postby Anonymous 3 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:06 pm

I'm lost in this discussion. Some facts.

1. Distal and proximal tips on the cylinders do NOT expand when the cylinders are inflated. Rear tip EXTENDERS do NOT expand either. TheIr purpose is to make up the difference between your measured corpus length and the lengths that the implant cylinders are manufactured in. If you measure 17 cm and the nearest sized cylinder is 18 cm the surgeon will use a 1 cm extender to make up the difference. While you cannot feel the proximal tips with your fingers, you CAN feel the distal ones (in the glans) and they are hard and DO NOT inflate.

2. The cylinders do NOT REPLACE the corpus cavernosa, they are inserted INTO the cavernosa and displace the spongiosum that no longer fills with blood.

3. The cylinders should NEVER meet. If they do you have a serious surgical mistake called crossover where the cylinder has perforated the cavernosa and has been implanted into the wrong side. If it happens in the exterior part of the penis during surgery the procedure is terminated immediately. It should not be possible to create a common proximal tip to contain a reservoir without major damage to each cavernosa. They are separate chambers.

4. You cannot palpate the proximal tips let alone manipulate them. Anywhere up to a bit less than a half of the cylinders are buried inside the cavernosa, deep in the abdominable cavity, actually not too far away from the prostate, and you all know how a doc checks for an enlarged prostate. Find a good illustration of the male lower abodomen and see for yourself.

The two piece Ambicor prosthesis already has the reservoir built into the proximal end of the device and it is considered an inferior device for a number of reasons, one of which is that the reservoir cannot contain enough saline to provide a good erection or good deflation. There is just not enough room, hence the external reservoir and greater satisfaction with the three piece.

In all honesty, after over a year with my LGX, it takes so little time to pump it up and literally seconds to deflate, that any improvement in its operation would be so small it wouldn't be worth it to me to upgrade to something else unless my current IPP failed. Just my two cents worth. Oh wait. Two cents ain't worth anything like what it it used to be. I meant my dollar's worth.

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:38 am

[/quote]
Watsup wrote:I'm lost in this discussion. Some facts.

1. Distal and proximal tips on the cylinders do NOT expand when the cylinders are inflated. Rear tip EXTENDERS do NOT expand either. TheIr purpose is to make up the difference between your measured corpus length and the lengths that the implant cylinders are manufactured in. If you measure 17 cm and the nearest sized cylinder is 18 cm the surgeon will use a 1 cm extender to make up the difference. While you cannot feel the proximal tips with your fingers, you CAN feel the distal ones (in the glans) and they are hard and DO NOT inflate.

That's what I thought until is (mis?)read lostinhouston's post. Then I became confused.
Watsup wrote:3. The cylinders should NEVER meet. If they do you have a serious surgical mistake called crossover where the cylinder has perforated the cavernosa and has been implanted into the wrong side. If it happens in the exterior part of the penis during surgery the procedure is terminated immediately. It should not be possible to create a common proximal tip to contain a reservoir without major damage to each cavernosa. They are separate chambers.
I wasn't contemplating the cylinders ever meeting, but having the left and right rear tip extenders actually being one piece. The inflatable cylinders attached separately and with appropriate separation between them.
Watsup wrote:
4. You cannot palpate the proximal tips let alone manipulate them. Anywhere up to a bit less than a half of the cylinders are buried inside the cavernosa, deep in the abdominable cavity, actually not too far away from the prostate, and you all know how a doc checks for an enlarged prostate. Find a good illustration of the male lower abodomen and see for yourself.
This confuses me. You say the "cavernosa deep in the abdominal cavity" I know the nether end of the corpus cavernosa is deep in the abdominal cavity, but the ""upper" end of the cavernosa is very near the tip of the penis. At least that's what I think. Am I mistaken?

I have seen drawings of the inflatable prostheses, and it appears that if the rear tip extenders were only a little bit longer (and the inflatable tubes shorter by a matching amount), operation would only be compromised a little (the shape of a flaccid penis). This would give room for my articulated rear extender.
Watsup wrote:The two piece Ambicor prosthesis already has the reservoir built into the proximal end of the device and it is considered an inferior device for a number of reasons, one of which is that the reservoir cannot contain enough saline to provide a good erection or good deflation. There is just not enough room, hence the external reservoir and greater satisfaction with the three piece.
Right. The design I contemplate does have a reservoir in the usual abdominal cavity. Only the (admittedly rather small) pumping mechanism is contained in the (admittedly rather large) rear tip extender. What I don't know is if the smallness and the largeness make my idea impossible.

Clearly, having all the high-pressure tubing and all connectors and valves contained inside the protection of the rear extender would make the device more robust, reducing the failure rate. Only a single low presssure tube communicating to the reservoir is outside the rear extender and nothing is in the scrotum.
Watsup wrote:In all honesty, after over a year with my LGX, it takes so little time to pump it up and literally seconds to deflate, that any improvement in its operation would be so small it wouldn't be worth it to me to upgrade to something else unless my current IPP failed.
What would be the value of a penis that inflated without manual manipulation, but nearaly by itself (almost like in the old days) merely by the usual foreplay and coitus. (Hopefully) very much like a natural erection.
Watsup wrote:Just my two cents worth. Oh wait. Two cents ain't worth anything like what it it used to be. I meant my dollar's worth.

In some circles two cents are highly valued. Yours are, by me, and I thank you. I need the feedback to make me think.

Lost Sheep

p.s. For sure, my idea may be completely hare-brained. But I think it an interesting concept if it is possible. Lower failure rate. Inflation nearly by itself and simpler surgical implantation.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023

Lost Sheep

Let me redefine the question

Postby Lost Sheep » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:14 pm

Let me redefine the question.

After examining anatomy drawings and poking around a little on myself, I am thinking that pressing on the perineum between the anus and the scrotum, one would be able to press on the lower surface of the RTEs (rear tip extenders).

True or false?

Thanks.

Lost Sheep
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023

Boulder

Postby Boulder » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:21 am

That would be a definite noooooo. I did read about a new implant that's suposidly in the development stage. No reservoir and no pump ( wouldn't that be nice!). There a fluid that when electrically charged expands which "could" be contained in the cylinders and the batteries would be in the cylinder as well, similar to a pacemaker. You would use a key fob like devise to operate the hardware. So a bleep and it's hard! You would think the geniuses in the R&D Dept would hurry up and develop this. Can you imagine how many men would be getting them. A small incision to install it? Hmmmmmm I'd love the patent on that!

And your wife or girlfriend could hit the fob when your asleep or too drunk to pump yourself up and ride your pony at will!

charlesr

Postby charlesr » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:32 pm

No "key fob" for me please! My grandkids would come over, find the fob, (unless I have it attached to my car/house keys (if they even still make those)) lose the remote down a heating vent and I'm screwed, but not in a good way.

I'm going to be optimistic and hope that they come up with a mechanism that causes an erection when the penis is stroked or stimulated in some way. How cool would that be?
Born 1951. Radical Robotic Prostatectomy on October 6, 2013. Bionic with Titan Touch with Bioflex Zero Degree 18cm w/ (1) rte Implant, Infrapubic, on July 13, 2015.

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:32 am

charlesr wrote:No "key fob" for me please! My grandkids would come over, find the fob, (unless I have it attached to my car/house keys (if they even still make those)) lose the remote down a heating vent and I'm screwed, but not in a good way.

I'm going to be optimistic and hope that they come up with a mechanism that causes an erection when the penis is stroked or stimulated in some way. How cool would that be?

I'm working on that.

Suppose you put a tiny inflation pump in the rear tip extender (RTE) embedded in an articulated joint in the RTE. When the penis was moved in/out, up/down or side-to-side, a small amount of fluid would be pumped into the tubes. A few or several minutes (even if the pump bulb is very small) should deliver enough fluid for an erection.

See my topic "Pumpless Inflatable". Never mind that the dual RTE is impractical for surgical placement, the concept is worth thinking about, I believe.

My mind is working overtime.

Lost Sheep
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023

Return to “Implants”