Practicality of Malleable/Semi-Rigid prostheses

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Lost Sheep

Practicality of Malleable/Semi-Rigid prostheses

Postby Lost Sheep » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:35 pm

Currently, in everyday activities, I do not like to hang down (and my small size doesn't do that well, anyway), but prefer to be held by my clothes in a upward-pointing orientation (as much as my small flaccid size allows), so I wear briefs rather than boxes.

With a malleable, I understand (correct me if I am wrong) my 2" flaccid will become a permanent 4.5-4.75 (my normal erect size) with substantially more girth This might become a bit of a bulge. I expect that if I maintain a position nestled in the crease where thigh meets belly (to the left or right of centerline), that would be OK under fitted jeans or any bathing suit other than a Speedo. Am I right about that?

Of course, in a locker room, community shower or other situations where a pointing penis in any direction would raise eyebrows, I would discreetly bend it downward.

Anyone have thoughts on the practicality or accuracy of my preconceptions/speculations?

I know I am jumping the gun, as the Veteran's Administration has not yet authorized an implant, but I want to be prepared for the discussion of what type we will choose, particularly if they want to steer me in one direction or another (what they will authorize and what I will accept). I like the fact that inflatables look more natural both flaccid and erect, but I like the simpler surgery and fewer parts (less invasive and less to go wrong) leading to less likelihood of subsequent surgery being needed. And the V.A. may want to opt for cheaper and less taxing on my manual dexterity, which may be an issue.

Thanks, especially for the guys with the malleables.

Lost Sheep
Last edited by Lost Sheep on Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

ED2013

Re: Practicallity of Malleable/Semi-Rigid prostheses

Postby ED2013 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:07 am

These implants are primitive in my opinion. Personally, I would'nt consider one.

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:46 am

ED2013 wrote:These implants are primitive in my opinion. Personally, I would'nt consider one.

Not as primitive as some I have read about. Besides, they seem to have a lower failure rate (with no complex parts, valves tubing etc.). On top of that, the V.A. may not give me a choice unless I can present a really good, well-reasoned case.

But thanks for your opinion. I have done some research and do find the satisfaction rate is lower than the inflatables, and I cannot attribute that entirely to cosmetic appearance. But I am here to see others' actual testimony.

There is no shortage of testimony recommending the inflatables, but I wanted to see if anyone has had good experience with the malleable.

The main advantages seem to be simplicity of the surgery, longevity and simplicity of user operation. And it being slower in cost.

Drawbacks are how it looks, being in the way and bulging under clothes,

And anything else I have NOT thought of.

Lost Shep
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023

Jamesbond

Postby Jamesbond » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:21 am

I would look at that very closely.
Think inflatables are closer to the real thing.
They have been around along time. Think the satisfaction rate is higher.
They may break but I think the rate is low and takes a long time in most cases.
I have seen 2 surgeons. Both never mentioned malleable or Semi-rigid.
They are primative.
Thinking of getting implant. Have not done it because of the length I
have lost.
50, Straight, I miss women

chedog

Postby chedog » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:21 pm

I had an implant that had to be removed a little over a year ago. It was replaced by a semi-rigid to keep the channels open, and my uro agreed that, if I liked it, I'd just keep it.

I didn't. Or I should say we (my wife and I) didn't.

It was too small and too non-rigid for penetration. We tried many times and different positions but it was never satisfactory. I would have liked to have kept it, and not go through another surgery, but it was a non-starter for sex -- which is, of course, the reason for an implant.

I had the semi-rigid for six months until my uro offered another surgery. The inflatable that replaced it, eight months into the new world order of bionic penises, is quite wonderful, and my wife and I are very please with it and the sex it aids.

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:59 pm

Thanks, chedog. Your post is exceptionally helpful. The V.A., as I said in my original post, may have some ideas about what they are willing to authorize. The more actual testimony I can cite (opinions are like votes, everyone has one but only carry as much weight as an advisory vote), the better. Real-life experiences are a LOT more persuasive, and as one who has had both types, yours is particularly powerful.

Lost Sheep
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023

brasscar

Re: Practicality of Malleable/Semi-Rigid prostheses

Postby brasscar » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:34 pm

I chose the malleable/semi-rigid in 2002 because at that time there were excessive failures and a significant problem with auto-inflation with the inflatables. There was also the fact that the procedure was less complicated and therefore less likely to lead to problems. All of that said, I took two weeks vacation in January of 2002 and had the procedure. Waking up in recovery I peeked under the sheet and was really happy, then went back to sleep. That was the end of the happiness for the next four weeks and the pain didn't totally end for months. It wasn't all that bad but the biggest problem was moving my penis, like to use the urinal, I could fumble it out with pain and then still had to drop my pants to get it back. I ended up using the stall and dropping my pants and shorts at the start to pee. The sales brochure said just bend up for action and down for storage. That didn't work for me. Up worked but bent down in my jockey briefs started hurting at the head after half an hour. I weighed a lot less back then and almost any position except down (which hurt) showed in the front of my Dockers. I must have tried 20 different kinds of underwear including a women's panty girdle. I still use the panty girdle when wearing flat front Dockers to hold me in, up and to the right, in the crease along the top of my leg. Not perfect but close enough. I tend to keep my hands in my pockets on those occasions. Even today the most comfortable position is straight up. The problem with that is that the head of my penis is right behind my belt buckle. I went so far as to created a custom modified athletic cup with an extension going up above my waist to protect things. It Creates a bulge behind my belt buckle but as long as I am wearing shirts tails (I'm retired) out it really doesn't show. It has a habit of working it's way down so I have found that a one piece underwear with a hook and eye crotch works good. It is actually quite comfortable as compared to the other options if I'm going to be out and about.

All of that said, I do not regret my choices given the situation at the time, I have two friends on this site who started with inflatables and ended up with Malleable implants due to infections. I don't regret the simpler surgery and my implant is still going strong after 15 years. I would not undergo the risks and pain of surgery to change it unless it failed. Then I might consider an inflatable.

Bionic_by_AMS

Postby Bionic_by_AMS » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:59 am

Lost Sheep,
The VA does not dictate which type Implant you get ... providing the doc has entered the correct info on the forms. You either get approved or denied ... if approved then you can discuss types

I would highly advise against the malleable type ... most surgeons do not even use them any more unless you are physically restricted (can't pump the ball)
Robotic Prostrate surgery - Dec. 2011 - AMS 700 LGX Implant - 21 cm/3 cm RTE - June 2012

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:55 pm

brasscar wrote:I chose the malleable/semi-rigid in 2002 because at that time there were excessive failures and a significant problem with auto-inflation with the inflatables. There was also the fact that the procedure was less complicated and therefore less likely to lead to problems. All of that said, I took two weeks vacation in January of 2002 and had the procedure. Waking up in recovery I peeked under the sheet and was really happy, then went back to sleep. That was the end of the happiness for the next four weeks and the pain didn't totally end for months. It wasn't all that bad but the biggest problem was moving my penis, like to use the urinal, I could fumble it out with pain and then still had to drop my pants to get it back. I ended up using the stall and dropping my pants and shorts at the start to pee. The sales brochure said just bend up for action and down for storage. That didn't work for me. Up worked but bent down in my jockey briefs started hurting at the head after half an hour. I weighed a lot less back then and almost any position except down (which hurt) showed in the front of my Dockers. I must have tried 20 different kinds of underwear including a women's panty girdle. I still use the panty girdle when wearing flat front Dockers to hold me in, up and to the right, in the crease along the top of my leg. Not perfect but close enough. I tend to keep my hands in my pockets on those occasions. Even today the most comfortable position is straight up. The problem with that is that the head of my penis is right behind my belt buckle. I went so far as to created a custom modified athletic cup with an extension going up above my waist to protect things. It Creates a bulge behind my belt buckle but as long as I am wearing shirts tails (I'm retired) out it really doesn't show. It has a habit of working it's way down so I have found that a one piece underwear with a hook and eye crotch works good. It is actually quite comfortable as compared to the other options if I'm going to be out and about.

All of that said, I do not regret my choices given the situation at the time, I have two friends on this site who started with inflatables and ended up with Malleable implants due to infections. I don't regret the simpler surgery and my implant is still going strong after 15 years. I would not undergo the risks and pain of surgery to change it unless it failed. Then I might consider an inflatable.

Thanks for the testimonial. I suspect that I would not have the concealment problems you have had, as my penis on its best day would not reach my belt buckle, though wearing a racer's bathing suit would be out of the question. Access through the fly is something I wondered about and speculated that it would be about as difficult as what you described.

Anyhow, my Doctor agrees that the malleable's older technology (while reliability and service life is superior to the inflatables even today) is inferior to the inflatables.

Lost Sheep
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:56 pm

Bionic_by_AMS wrote:Lost Sheep,
The VA does not dictate which type Implant you get ... providing the doc has entered the correct info on the forms. You either get approved or denied ... if approved then you can discuss types

I would highly advise against the malleable type ... most surgeons do not even use them any more unless you are physically restricted (can't pump the ball)

Thanks, that is just what my Doctor said. Once the VA authorizes, they tend not to micro-manage.

Lost Sheep
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023

Return to “Implants”