Considering Implant - Venous leak - Other options?

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
PC Newbie

Considering Implant - Venous leak - Other options?

Postby PC Newbie » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:15 pm

After a radical prostatectomy (nerve sparing), and over a 5 year period more and more problems with ED, trying pills, then shots (success at first but not now):

I've been reading and participating some in this forum, studying implants. I had decided I probably should go that route. Having found the doctor that seemed to have good feedback here from the Florida area, I made an appointment and went to see him last week.

They gave me a shot, and then did what I expect was ultrasound. I was told that I have good flow in, but have a venous leak.

I also told him of my last experience with using injections (earlier Edex, later Trimix). The last one I took I had a large bulb appear at the base of my penus. I assume it was blood. Although it didn't look blue as I would have expected. Of course, after it went down, I was well bruised. It also made my penus lean left, which still seems to be the case.

Having made the appointment to see if I was a candidate for penile implant, I did not bring up alternatives. When told of the venous leak, unless I misunderstood, he left me with the impression my only options were the implant. There was no discussion of the leaning penus.

So, since then I have done some research on venous leak, I find discussions of: medications, boosting the parasympathetic nervous system, and arterial reconstruction. I've seen mention of Sclerotherapy‎, but haven't read much on that yet (find more on that about varicose veins). Venous ligation surgery, it appears from what I've read, have 30-50% success. Not that great.

One thing I might add: Given my history, phycological issues/confidence would likely be an issue even if the leak could be 'fixed'.

Interested in your thoughts. I don't want to jump in on the implant if I would be well off to investigate other things first. I am thinking I may visit a local urologist and get further input there.

Don't know that it makes any difference, a little more background: 68 years old, diabetic (with good control...6.2 A1C).

ED2013

Re: Considering Implant - Venous leak - Other options?

Postby ED2013 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:38 pm

After rp surgery, the only real ED fix is an implant imo.

charlesr

Postby charlesr » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:34 pm

With a radical prostatectomy, I agree with ED2013. The only thing that worked for me was an implant, which is excellent for me.

With a venous leak, I would definitely check all of the other options before going to an implant; even though I would lay odds that you will eventually become a member of the Bionic Brotherhood. (A happy member; I may add.)
Born 1951. Radical Robotic Prostatectomy on October 6, 2013. Bionic with Titan Touch with Bioflex Zero Degree 18cm w/ (1) rte Implant, Infrapubic, on July 13, 2015.

bob1138

Postby bob1138 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:21 pm

I was implanted with the Coloplast Titan in December 2007 after developing ED Post-Prostatectomy in 2004.
Best decision I ever made.
I would do it again in a heart-beat!!
Best of Luck.
Bob

OttoHS

Postby OttoHS » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:12 am

Whether you have a venous leak or not, it you have had 5 years of ED following a radical prostatectomy, the only real solution for your ED is an implant. Those nerves that your surgeon allegedly spared are not going to spring back to life. I am very happy with my implant.

PC Newbie

Postby PC Newbie » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:05 pm

OttoHS wrote:Whether you have a venous leak or not, it you have had 5 years of ED following a radical prostatectomy, the only real solution for your ED is an implant. Those nerves that your surgeon allegedly spared are not going to spring back to life. I am very happy with my implant.

JFYI...I had successful erections for the first year after the surgery (after recuperation, of course). Then things slowly went down hill. Success with pills for a while, then not, same with shots. So, I do think it is a venous leak, not lost nerves.

I may talk to another urologist for an opinion.

Being on the implant thread, I expect to get positive feedback on implants, which is the case. I don't see a place, on this forum anyway, to hear from folks who have attempted some of the 'fixes' for venous leaks.

Appreciate all the feedback.

woodturner

Postby woodturner » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:11 pm

Your situation sounds real similar to mine. I had to wait 5 years to get an implant because of insurance. Starting in 2010 the events are:

*2010 diagnosed with Venous Leakage, 3 months later had a Nerve Sparing Radical Prostactectomy
*None of the Oral Meds worked at all
*Refused to try Muse
*Trimix worked but it was extremely painful
*Bimix would give me a slight chubby and that is all
*For purposes of sex I found the VED to be extremely frustrating and a mood killer. I did continue to use it for Rehab purposes
*July 2014 got new insurance
*Jan 2015 I was implanted with a Coloplast Titan by a high volume surgeon
*June 2016 I am 100% satisfied with my implant. I have now recovered 100% of my Pre_ED size (that was because of the continuous rehab). My erections now remind me of a steel spike.

My only regret is that I couldn't have it done any sooner because of insurance.
Total ED since a 6/2010 RPA. Pills and injections didn't work. 2nd revision with a Coloplast Titan (24CM w & 2CM RTEs)on 12/15/2022. 68 years old

Return to “Implants”