Happy with implant? Who is your surgeon?

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
merrix

Re: Happy with implant? Who is your surgeon?

Postby merrix » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:01 pm

stringerbell wrote:"I also said that based on the same population (FT posts last few months), there are issues with Kramer. None with Eid. "

Not true, there's 3-4 guys who PM'd me who had infections and/or totally bad complications from Eid, a couple went to Cornell for repairs, a couple to Kramer for revisions. Eid publishes a lot about infections, true, but the lowest documented infection rate in the world I think is currently Kramer in baltimore.

Well it is funny how your logic fails.

I said there are no POSTS lately on FT with Eid failures.
And you say it is not true because you have got a few PMs.
You can get a million PMs, or say you have, and it doesn't change any facts about posts on FT.

And secondly, my statement was that when two docs have such low infection rates as e.g. Eid and Kramer, where differences are down to percentage decimals, it is really hard to say which one of them would provide the lowest infection risk for a patient without any pre-condition, since most likely for both of them, the infection rates are skewed by how large proportion of their patients do have infection risk increasing pre-conditions.
And your counter argument is 'I think Kramer has the lowest documented infection risk'. It is simply not even an answer to what I said.

Anyway, none of what I say is in any way a statement on who is the best. None of us will ever know that. There probably isn't even a universal answer to that question.
It probably depends on your specific case and your targets and priorities.
43 yo, ED forever from VL
Fit and active
Implanted December 2015
Titan XL 24 cm, no RTEs
Dr. Eid
Activated day 13
Sex after 3 weeks
Gained length and girth
So far It works perfectly
Only one advice: Find a world class surgeon

alibaba

Postby alibaba » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:04 pm

To infection rate: Depending on how many implants a doctor does a year, one old heavy smoker, meth using, whore chasing diabetic could get an infection and up that rate 20% for a doctor who does 5 a year. No, I'm not saying anyone who got an infection is a whore chasing meth addict, just trying to make the point some things can up the risk so don't p.m. me your anti fan mail. For a doctor who does 250 a year as some do, he would only change the figure a fraction of a decimal point. Do doctors select who they want to implant and not due to risk factors that could change their number? I would say some do considering I went through 15 urologists trying to get to one who would do an implant. Do some doctors manage those who others consider a risk? I would say again yes as both Eid and Kramer have told me my well managed risk factor is no risk for an implant. Like I said before, this is not something that can be duplicated by machine 10,000 times and be identical but some doctors take more control of the situation to level the outcomes. You can literally fill pages on all the variables.
LGX 21cm .Milam 01/13/16. Horror; both service and surgical outcome. hated infrapubic installation. Kramer revision 03/01/17. 22cm Titan +1.5cm extender. Those who think their opinion is the only one that matters are a danger to themselves and others.

flman48

Postby flman48 » Sat May 07, 2016 2:08 pm

Very happy with my implant done by Dr Perito.
Joined the Bionic Brotherhood on 10/16/15 Coloplast Titan Touch 22cm + 1cm rte implanted by Dr. Paul Perito

farmallfarmer

Postby farmallfarmer » Tue May 10, 2016 10:38 am

Very happy with my implant- Dr Landon Trost, Mayo, Rochester, MN

Metraman

Postby Metraman » Sun May 15, 2016 11:39 am

I just had mine done 5/13/16 AM by MD Petrio in Miami. Saturday morning my wife drove me to Fort Myers for a 2 week rest up before heading back over for a final check before I fly back to Michigan. If had a couple of questions and he'd answered everyone in a couple of minutes even today Sunday. I've got a little pain form the reservoir which he explained today. I haven't had to take anything for pain since I left Miami. I'm only sorry I didn't do this sooner.

oldgoat

Postby oldgoat » Tue May 17, 2016 11:23 am

merrix wrote:
oldgoat wrote:Dr Jonas Benson at uropartners in Wheaton, il

Ok. What about the first question?

https://www.uropartners.com/physicians/Jonas%20Benson
Implanted with colorplast Titan 3 years ago. Davinci radical prostatectomy 6 months ago. Very happy with the outcome of both procedures.
Dr Jonas Benson. Uropartners, Wheaton, IL.

psyched123

Postby psyched123 » Tue May 17, 2016 12:19 pm

I just put this reply on another post, but it would probably fit better under this thread. I had my AMS700 CX implanted by Dr. Morey at UTSouthwestern Med School in Dallas last Nov '15.

Dr. Morey did a botched job with the implant. The right tube was not placed fully into the glans and, because of this, it is bunched some at the base of the penis. This has not really been a problem with using it, though, because the left tube was placed correctly and keeps the glans firm and straight. However, it is definitely a botched job.

Now, the pump has started going flat before the implant is fully rigid. Has a leak.

Also, discouraging is Morey's lack of follow-up. He didn't even come by to check the implant in the hospital the morning after the surgery. Some trainee came by and just asked how things were going. If Morey had actually stopped by and looked, he surely would have seen the problem of the misplaced tube and addressed it right then. With Morey, after the surgery, you are pretty much on your own. I never had a follow-up phone call or any contact from his office to answer questions or see if things were progressing.

I would caution anyone to avoid surgeons, like Morey, who work at teaching hospitals. I am certain that Morey had one of his trainees do the actual implanting and that's why I have this poor job. These docs are professors and their main concern is teaching people how to perform surgery. You will very likely become a learning subject for some new doc to cut on. Find a doc who's not involved in training people.

Anyway, the implant is not only botched but leaks and is quickly becoming unusable. I have an appointment with Dr. Kansas in Austin who is supposed to be a high volume guy, He's very well reviewed by his patients. Austin is also much closer, so I will probably have him do the repair on Morey's mess.

I want surgeons to get the practice needed to become proficient in their profession. However, just no more learning their skills on my penis.

My wife had a breast reduction a number of years ago. Only after the surgery did she learn that the surgeon did one breast and then passed the knife to a resident trainee to do the other. You can tell which breast was done by the trainee.

The consistent advice on this site is that one should seek out a very high volume surgeon to perform their implant. That, of course, would not be the inexperienced hands of a resident trainee. The only way to make sure that your surgeon is actually doing the surgery is to avoid going under the knife in a teaching hospital.

There is lots of cutting edge research coming out of teaching hospitals. These docs are just like any other professors. The game is "Publish or perish" The cadre of residents and fellows that are assigned to them help them accomplish the hard work of research and are their main concern.

One thing that we found that you can't count on is that your professor doctor will, for sure, do the surgery. When my wife had her breast surgery, she checked the "No" on the box on a form that asked if a resident would be permitted to be involved in the operation. When they got in the operating room, the professor ignored her request and passed the knife to his trainee. Teaching is the main job here. I know. I'm a retired professor. Patients on the table is how he teaches his students.

One might get lucky and, actually, have the professor perform the operation or have gotten a truly talented trainee that day. However, one needs to consider if you really want to take your chances with this.
Last edited by psyched123 on Fri May 20, 2016 3:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Implanted AMS CX 700 11/15 by Dr. Morey in Dallas (botched). 6/16 - Surgery by Dr. Kansas in Austin to correct the mistakes. Works great now. Very pleased!

gingerman9

Postby gingerman9 » Tue May 17, 2016 12:54 pm

My surgeon was Cornell and my implant date was June 29, 2015. I could not be happier with my implant and the care I received from Cornell. He maintained my size and the implant works great.

ValPinto

Postby ValPinto » Wed May 18, 2016 10:38 pm

I went to Kramer who did a Titan on me, extremely happy. I'm not sure what merrixx is saying about tipping scales one way or the other, these guys are all top notch best in the world level guys, especially Eid and Kramer, the 2 standout choices it seems. They're probably also very similar, and only in extremely complex or difficult cases would their truly extraordinary skillsets come into play- but interesting that Kramer is going a lot of Titans, few people on here are saying Eid= coloplast and Kramer = AMS. In my experience Kramer was truly 50/50. Who knows.

KMeister

Postby KMeister » Thu May 19, 2016 3:07 am

psyched123 wrote:I just put this reply on another post, but it would probably fit better under this thread. I had my AMS700 CX implanted by Dr. Morey at UTSouthwestern Med School in Dallas last Nov '15.

Dr. Morey did a botched job with the implant. The right tube was not placed fully into the glans and, because of this, it is bunched some at the base of the penis. This has not really been a problem with using it, though, because the left tube was placed correctly and keeps the glans firm and straight. However, it is definitely a botched job.

Now, the pump has started going flat before the implant is fully rigid. Has a leak.

Also, discouraging is Morey's lack of follow-up. He didn't even come by to check the implant in the hospital the morning after the surgery. Some trainee came by and just asked how things were going. If Morey had actually stopped by and looked, he surely would have seen the problem of the misplaced tube and addressed it right then. With Morey, after the surgery, you are pretty much on your own. I never had a follow-up phone call or any contact from his office to answer questions or see if things were progressing.

I would caution anyone to avoid surgeons, like Morey, who work at teaching hospitals. I am certain that Morey had one of his trainees do the actual implanting and that's why I have this poor job. These docs are professors and their main concern is teaching people how to perform surgery. You will very likely become a learning subject for some new doc to cut on. Find a doc who's not involved in training people.

Anyway, the implant is not only botched but leaks and is quickly becoming unusable. I have an appointment with Dr. Kansas in Austin who is supposed to be a high volume guy, He's very well reviewed by his patients. Austin is also much closer, so I will probably have him do the repair on Morey's mess.

I don't agree with your position on teaching hospitals. These facilities are often involved in developing the newest technology. All of the great surgeons didn't just become great surgeons. At one time they were also in training as well. Also, many of the great surgeons are involved in training others.

That written, I'm truly sorry about your situation and hope it is resolved soon. Forgive me if you've already answered this: Do you have insurance or paying out of pocket?

KMeister

Return to “Implants”