How Far Should Cyinders Protrude into the Head?

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
firstcav46

How Far Should Cyinders Protrude into the Head?

Postby firstcav46 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:23 pm

I'm asking this in terms of how far the cylinders should protrude during erection. Mine go nearly all the way to the tip of my penis. Is that normal? I had the AMS 700 implanted in May 2014 by Dr. Milam. All went well until March 2015 until I began experiencing pain and burning around my foreskin and the head of my penis during foreplay. The pain/burning is so intense that it has made ejaculation impossible. Dr. Milam had no answer, other than to tell me 4 or 5 men have the same experience each year. I've consulted three other urologists. I can't get any relief. Thanks for any help.
71. Married 35 yrs to sexy woman; ED at 62; pills/injections eventual fails; AMS implant 5/29/14 (Dr. Milam); yr later - severe burning, pain around shaft on inflation. Remove & replace with Coloplast Titan 10/18/17 (Dr. Kramer).
Auburn, Ala.

DonBecker54

Re: How Far Should Cyinders Protrude into the Head?

Postby DonBecker54 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:51 pm

Mine go to within 1/8" and 1/4" of the tip. I haven't tried sex yet, but testing it on my own, I don't think it should be a problem.

Can you give a estimate as to how close to the skin yours are?
Butchered by Dr. Douglas Milam, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, in January 2016. Lost 2" Before After

merrix

Postby merrix » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:52 am

In my case, I'd say it's hard to give a number.
Glans is larger when aroused, and I think distance to tip increases when aroused and blood filled.
When aroused, it is also hard, or impossible, for me to say where the tip of cylinders are. My glans gets too hard to let me touch and feel the cylinders well.
My estimation though is that when aroused, my glans is 4 cm long and the cylinders go 3 cm into the glans. I.e. 1 cm from the tip.
When not aroused, cylinders are very easily felt, especially from the top-side (45 deg angle), and I'd say they are closer to the tip than 1 cm.

Whatever the ruler says, the important thing is that whatever measurements I have, it seems to work great.
My glans is firm and full when I have sex, my sensation is as before, and I have no tip pain at all when aroused even if fully inflated.
And, maybe being the best indicator of a perfect placement: My wife says she notices no difference on my glans from my best-day pill-erection before surgery. Neither during oral nor vaginal sex.
43 yo, ED forever from VL
Fit and active
Implanted December 2015
Titan XL 24 cm, no RTEs
Dr. Eid
Activated day 13
Sex after 3 weeks
Gained length and girth
So far It works perfectly
Only one advice: Find a world class surgeon

alibaba

Postby alibaba » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:01 am

Milam did mine 1/13 with a 700 LGX. Tips are right at the bottom of the glans until I pump it up as hard as I can get it, then they are more toward the lower side of the glans beside urethra and go up about 1/2 way into the glans. Glans is always soft and when folded back over the top of the penis the tips are below the glans and beside urethra on each side. I had the skin burning too but has gotten less often in the past week. Only constant now when pumped up and played with and a few hours after. It was constant for a long time. The tips pinching the urethra hurt like hell and is kind of a burning feeling. If I could get any blood into my glans I think the tips would be a lot further from the end. Normally the glans was twice as big around and long as the pointy little thing is now. Again, skin burning is less, but pumped up the cylinders and tips are compressing on the urethra ( took me a long time to figure out this is what is going on) and it has a sharp near burning pain that is constant and lasts a sometimes a 2-3 hours after releasing the pressure. Letting the pressure off and kneading the tips to get a little space between gives me a lot of relief. I have to release the pressure sometimes after only 1-2 minutes pumped up because of the pain.
LGX 21cm .Milam 01/13/16. Horror; both service and surgical outcome. hated infrapubic installation. Kramer revision 03/01/17. 22cm Titan +1.5cm extender. Those who think their opinion is the only one that matters are a danger to themselves and others.

firstcav46

Postby firstcav46 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:01 am

alibaba wrote:Milam did mine 1/13 with a 700 LGX. Tips are right at the bottom of the glans until I pump it up as hard as I can get it, then they are more toward the lower side of the glans beside urethra and go up about 1/2 way into the glans. Glans is always soft and when folded back over the top of the penis the tips are below the glans and beside urethra on each side. I had the skin burning too but has gotten less often in the past week. Only constant now when pumped up and played with and a few hours after. It was constant for a long time. The tips pinching the urethra hurt like hell and is kind of a burning feeling. If I could get any blood into my glans I think the tips would be a lot further from the end. Normally the glans was twice as big around and long as the pointy little thing is now. Again, skin burning is less, but pumped up the cylinders and tips are compressing on the urethra ( took me a long time to figure out this is what is going on) and it has a sharp near burning pain that is constant and lasts a sometimes a 2-3 hours after releasing the pressure. Letting the pressure off and kneading the tips to get a little space between gives me a lot of relief. I have to release the pressure sometimes after only 1-2 minutes pumped up because of the pain.

Milam did yours 1/13/16?? I'm not following you. Your experience seems much the same as mine. Have you gotten a new implant or planning one. Can you elaborate more with your experience with Milam? Did you complain to him? If so, what was his response. During the brief consult I had with him in December 1015, he could not explain my condition to me; only said it occurred to 4-5 of his patients each year. But he had not explanation of what the condition was. It seems to me there is a problem with my implant, but I obviously don't know what it is. Mechanically, it works, in that it pumps up an erection (that is painful/burning) and I can deflate it. But something is very wrong. Even my urethra burns, but multiple urinalysis turn up no UTI. Thanks for any further info/help.
71. Married 35 yrs to sexy woman; ED at 62; pills/injections eventual fails; AMS implant 5/29/14 (Dr. Milam); yr later - severe burning, pain around shaft on inflation. Remove & replace with Coloplast Titan 10/18/17 (Dr. Kramer).
Auburn, Ala.

alibaba

Postby alibaba » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:55 am

firstcav46, I will reply tonight when I get in. Milam gives no answers. I refused to go back to him since he told me he would not discuss my issues with me. Maryann is a witch and would only argue. Sorry to hear you also have this issue.
LGX 21cm .Milam 01/13/16. Horror; both service and surgical outcome. hated infrapubic installation. Kramer revision 03/01/17. 22cm Titan +1.5cm extender. Those who think their opinion is the only one that matters are a danger to themselves and others.

firstcav46

Postby firstcav46 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:38 pm

alibaba wrote:firstcav46, I will reply tonight when I get in. Milam gives no answers. I refused to go back to him since he told me he would not discuss my issues with me. Maryann is a witch and would only argue. Sorry to hear you also have this issue.

Thinking I may need another implant, but I'm pretty sure Milam would not agree to do it since he sees nothing wrong with me. I'm seeing a new urologist who used to do hundreds of implants early in his career, but no longer does them. Going to have to rely on his recommendation going forward. I had thought Milam was the best in my region.
Auburn, Ala.

alibaba

Postby alibaba » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:20 am

I chose Milam due to convenience that I could drive there in 5 hours and recommendations here on FT. At this point I wish I never had an implant. Doctor is not patient friendly nor is staff, hospital and record keeping are a disaster. I have a list of 8 issues with this implant. Every doctor who has looked at it tells me " That is not the way I would have done it". Last doctor turned out to be one of Milam's buddies and though he would not have put it in that way told me I should try it for a couple years to see if I can find a way to live with it before a revision. From day one I had skin burning issues and urethra burning issues. Both got better after a few weeks but never resolved and seem to be stirred up by pumping this thing up. When the shaft skin is not burning, it itches. Today traveling down the highway I was constantly rubbing it because it itched. I often spray the whole thing with bactine to try to relieve the itching or burning. Several doctors have looked at it with no answer including my dermatologist. I just figured up tonight that I've already in less than 80 days spent $3,000 on second opinions. I have had 4 urinalysis including the latest one with cultures and turned up nothing. The urethral burning is directly connected to being pumped up and the longer it is pumped up or the harder it is pumped the worse it gets till it is unbearable There is zero doubt in my mind at this point the urethral burning is the implant is pinching it. I can deflate and pry the cylinders apart a bit and the burning gets relieved. It is just like when you cut of circulation for a bit and things start to burn. Also the urethra changes color after I pump it. I looked in it with a nasal speculum ( great grandfather was a doctor and I still have his antique tools) and instead of being pink it will be grey/bluish color for a while after pumped so it has to have a blood constriction issue pumped. For 2 weeks I have been taking methocarbam and difonec (SP) together about an hour before I pump it up or I cannot take more than 1-2 minutes pumped else the pain is unbearable. Add to this the tubing bothering me all the time, the tissue connecting the rt nut to the pump which is becoming more of an issue, left bent dick, up bent dick, pump that sometimes works, sometimes does not, soft glans, 1 1/2" length loss on top of the 1 1/2 lost after the prostatectomy, there really is no plus side. This thing is rapidly approaching being an $80,000 nightmare. As soon as possible it has to come out. 1 doctor told me that getting an implant was a bad idea, 1 told me there were issues but try to live with it, 1 said there were issues and sent me to the previous stated doc for a revision, and 1 told me a list of everything he sees wrong with the way it was installed and the wrong selection of implant for my anatomy. Personally I think Milam needs to stop putting in implants given the number of times his name has come up with issues lately and their lack of interest in dealing with them. If you get an answer to you issues I would like to know what it is.

firstcav46

Postby firstcav46 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:41 am

alibaba wrote:I chose Milam due to convenience that I could drive there in 5 hours and recommendations here on FT. At this point I wish I never had an implant. Doctor is not patient friendly nor is staff, hospital and record keeping are a disaster. I have a list of 8 issues with this implant. Every doctor who has looked at it tells me " That is not the way I would have done it". Last doctor turned out to be one of Milam's buddies and though he would not have put it in that way told me I should try it for a couple years to see if I can find a way to live with it before a revision. From day one I had skin burning issues and urethra burning issues. Both got better after a few weeks but never resolved and seem to be stirred up by pumping this thing up. When the shaft skin is not burning, it itches. Today traveling down the highway I was constantly rubbing it because it itched. I often spray the whole thing with bactine to try to relieve the itching or burning. Several doctors have looked at it with no answer including my dermatologist. I just figured up tonight that I've already in less than 80 days spent $3,000 on second opinions. I have had 4 urinalysis including the latest one with cultures and turned up nothing. The urethral burning is directly connected to being pumped up and the longer it is pumped up or the harder it is pumped the worse it gets till it is unbearable There is zero doubt in my mind at this point the urethral burning is the implant is pinching it. I can deflate and pry the cylinders apart a bit and the burning gets relieved. It is just like when you cut of circulation for a bit and things start to burn. Also the urethra changes color after I pump it. I looked in it with a nasal speculum ( great grandfather was a doctor and I still have his antique tools) and instead of being pink it will be grey/bluish color for a while after pumped so it has to have a blood constriction issue pumped. For 2 weeks I have been taking methocarbam and difonec (SP) together about an hour before I pump it up or I cannot take more than 1-2 minutes pumped else the pain is unbearable. Add to this the tubing bothering me all the time, the tissue connecting the rt nut to the pump which is becoming more of an issue, left bent dick, up bent dick, pump that sometimes works, sometimes does not, soft glans, 1 1/2" length loss on top of the 1 1/2 lost after the prostatectomy, there really is no plus side. This thing is rapidly approaching being an $80,000 nightmare. As soon as possible it has to come out. 1 doctor told me that getting an implant was a bad idea, 1 told me there were issues but try to live with it, 1 said there were issues and sent me to the previous stated doc for a revision, and 1 told me a list of everything he sees wrong with the way it was installed and the wrong selection of implant for my anatomy. Personally I think Milam needs to stop putting in implants given the number of times his name has come up with issues lately and their lack of interest in dealing with them. If you get an answer to you issues I would like to know what it is.

You say ASAP, yours has to come out. Will you get another?
I selected Milam due to a recommendation from a friend and from what I had read on this list and others. Also, I'm a 4 1/2 hour drive from the Vanderbilt University Medical Center.
My implant was done in 5/14, and things went fine until 3/15 (obviously nearly a year later). That's when the burning/pain began around the head and foreskin suddenly began. The urethral burning then began within a couple of weeks. I knew the urethral burning had to be connected to the implant since repeated urinalysis have turned up nothing.
The burning and pain upon erection and attempt at sex that started 13 months ago for me is still going strong with no signs that it is going to relent. When fully pumped up, however, there is no pain or burning until me or my wife touches my dick. If my wife begins foreplay, BJ or HJ, there is only so far she can go because it simply becomes too painful to continue. I can't even masturbate because of the same reason. If I leave mine pumped up fully, it begins to ache after about 20 minutes.
It is absolutely 100 percent frustrating that I underwent this procedure and am left in this condition. I was not totally impotent when I decided to have an implant done. I suffered from VL and could not sustain an erection to penetration (or some times beyond just a few minutes, depending on things were going with my penis that day) I now wish I had just kept the semi-natural erections I was able to attain instead of the painful condition I'm left with now.
Now, given a chance to do it all over, I would not do it.
I did not have any significant loss of length or girth, nor have I had any problem with my pump (although I do sometimes have a problem bringing my erection all the way down.)
I had the implant done under Medicare, so I'm not out of pocket a lot of money, other than travel, etc., although Vanderbilt soaked Medicare for $75,000. But now I'm left hanging as to what do I do in the future. It's going to start costing me money for referrals since this is the third urologist I've seen. I'm not sure how much pain and suffering one has to endure before a revision is in order and Medicare will pay for it.
Since you had your implant in January, Milam would have known about the problems I complained to him about in December (and that he brushed off). Of course, he also told me at that time that he had 4-5 patients each year that complained about the same thing that I was presenting with, without explaining what the cause or the cure was. His only interest at my December exam was to see if the pump was working OK; he had no interest in discussing the problem I was having.
I am very disappointed with Milam. At the outset I had a lot of confidence in him.
My next appointment with my urologist is the first week of May. I'm going to relay the info you passed on about the pinched
urethra. Have you had a cystoscopy done in relation to your thinking about that? I'm thinking that might be a test that should be in order, even though I've not pissed any blood, or really had difficulty passing urine.
When I was considering an implant, Milam was the name that kept surfacing when I looked for a competent surgeon in the Southeast who was in driving distance of me (Atlanta, Nashville, Birmingham, etc.) Now, I don't know of any others. Would like to hear some names if there are others??
Auburn, Ala.

thinktank

Postby thinktank » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:20 pm

Hey Fellas

All this talk about Dr. Milam at Vanderbilt leaves me to wonder if he did the actual implant himself? I know Vanderbilt has a medical school, and I wonder if he is is the chief of Urology at that medical school and maybe a Vanderbilt medical school intern actually did your surgeries under his supervision.

All this talk tells me to travel to New York for Dr. Eid or see Dr. Kramer in Baltimore. Thanks to Merrick for his guidance and wisdom in helping guys. I live in the southeast and certainly will not be going to Vanderbilt. So sorry for your poor results. Hopefully your revisions will make you happier.

Return to “Implants”