Anesthesia, Pain and First Waking Up

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Vagabond127

Anesthesia, Pain and First Waking Up

Postby Vagabond127 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:17 pm

First, I'd like to know what kind of anesthesia was used? Second, how was it when first waking up after surgery? Finally, how long were pain killers needed while recovering. I've never had surgery before and my tolerance for pain is zero. Thank you in advance for any and all feedback to my questions.
Implanted with Titan 1/15/19 with Dr. Eid.
6-length 4.5-girth.

DonBecker54

Re: Anesthesia, Pain and First Waking Up

Postby DonBecker54 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:45 pm

For my surgery, I was given a sedative via IV that made me dopey and drowsy. By the time I got to the operating room I was feeling pretty good. I don't know when it happened, but the anesthesiologist put me under completely. The next thing I knew, I woke up in my bed and at first didn't know where I was.

I was given a bottle of Oxycontin to take, but I don't like the idea of narcotics, so I didn't use them. I had some Tylenol, but only took that once or twice. I have a pretty high pain threshold.

There's pain, but it's far from the worse pain I've experienced. If you've had any serious back problems, you've probably had more pain. There's soreness, though, and it lasts two or three weeks. There's also things like the stubble of your pubic hair rubbing up against your penis and making it raw. Get something to cover your penis.y

You'll also probably get constipated from the anesthesia, so have a couple of bottles of magnesium citrate on hand. Cranberry juice, too. It's a natural diuretic, and will make you pee. If you can't pee, they'll want to put a catheter in you again.

I've had one real surgery before this, and the recovery was much faster.
Butchered by Dr. Douglas Milam, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, in January 2016. Lost 2" Before After

KMeister

Postby KMeister » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:47 am

Vagabond127 wrote:First, I'd like to know what kind of anesthesia was used? Second, how was it when first waking up after surgery? Finally, how long were pain killers needed while recovering. I've never had surgery before and my tolerance for pain is zero. Thank you in advance for any and all feedback to my questions.

You asked.

I went under general anesthesia. I have a low pain threshold and cry when I'm sick so I was miserable for the first few days. That doggone catheter, which was removed the day after the surgery, was the worst part. I took the painkillers for a week afterward. I also walked with a cane for about two weeks. My bride (of the past 21 years) was wonderful. It helps to have someone who loves you taking care of you.

KMeister

dirtman1993

Postby dirtman1993 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:22 am

Had surgery March 2nd and gas was used to knock me out as I have a fear of needles. Two deep breaths and I was gone. Woke and pain was around 8.5 to 9 on a scale of 10. Given liquid Oxycontin and pain disappeared in minutes. Once back to hotel pain was around 7 after meds wore off and I used 1/2 of a hydrocodone about three times and switched to motrin. Four every 5 to 7 hours. Pain was very easy to manage.

Drink cranberry juice and plenty of water after catheter was removed by wife and I at hotel. No big deal as we watched removal on YouTube to learn how along with directions from hospital.

Never did get constipated and was sure to use a stool softener the first day at hotel. Had surgery on Wed. and drove back to NC on Saturday. Had discomfort but no real pain. Any pain associated was inside the penis and sitting on the pump as the testicle area has to get use to having company. Check out under implants and read "MY JOURNEY" Check out photos and you will see my healing process. I can only suggest you do lots of research as it took me over a year to decide on what doctor and get the courage. Watch Videos on Youtube of procedure (Dr. Kramer) as there are over a hundred covering different things that they deal with.

I chose Dr. Kramer at the University of Maryland and it was the best decision I have made. His team dealt with my fear of needles, he emailed a response to all my questions the same day and was able to speak with him as needed. Connie in his office was wonderful and the team of people with him are the best.

March 29th I get my first inflate and ready to start cycling if I need and once again enjoy sex with no fear of failure. I now tell friends and family what has taken place as very proud I finally addressed my medical issue. Remember, health issue come up and we deal with them. This was a health issue and I finally got the courage to deal with it.

Good luck on your journey. I traveled 7 hours by car to utilize Dr. Kramer and would have driven farther if needed.
Implanted March 2nd by Dr. Kramer with AMS/LGX. Had a problem lower left (scar tissue) and he placed a larger (thicker) implant as you can here on the YouTube video. Got all back, ED over 10 years before Implant.

Vagabond127

Postby Vagabond127 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:00 am

Thanks guys for all the information you gave regarding anesthesia, pain and first waking up. My mind is made up to go through with the surgery BUT I needed to know what I am in for especially the pain. I am so grateful to this site and to everyone who has responded to all of my posts.
6-length 4.5-girth.

Twanger

Postby Twanger » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:06 am

Pain was also at the top of my "concerns" list. Talked to other guys here on FT and got a great tip on a doc who's method was pretty much pain free. First, no catheter, a biggie. They used gas and it was quick and easy. Biggest thing was a total turnaround time of under four hour from check in to check out after surgery. They used an injection of some pain killer at the end of surgery and told me it would last 12 to 15 hours and said I could (with wife driving) travel home by car same day. So I walked in and walked out of surgery, down the elevator to my car, and traveled four hours in the car stopping only to pee once.

Took a couple Oxys but didn't need them really. For me, this couldn't have been better and I believe the surgeon and his12 hour injection was the magic because once you get past that first 12 hours, it's a cake walk. He's in the Midwest. Great doc in my book.

Vagabond127

Postby Vagabond127 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:30 am

Thanks Twanger. Great advice.
6-length 4.5-girth.

jimp444

Postby jimp444 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:12 pm

I have been lurking on this site for a couple months now. Got a lot of excellent info - THANK YOU EVERYBODY!

Had implant done by Dr. Bruce Garber at Hahnemann hospital in Philadelphia this past Monday 4-25-16 at 7:30am.
I was worried about pain and it was a key reason for holding off for a bit.

Here is what I can tell you based on my recent experience. Overall not bad. No pain at hospital, just mostly stiffness at abdominal incision, not my junk. At home I followed doctors orders implicitly and took one Oxycodone every 6 hours. By doing this I really had no pain per se, but continued to be stiff at upper incision site and occasionally needed a little help getting out of bed. Catheter was no fun, but tolerable and it was removed at doctors office Tuesday morning, so that is fine now. By Wednesday at 6:00pm Oxycodone no longer needed. I switched to 3 Advil every 6 hours and by Thursday morning 4-28-16 I was off all pain meds. I have a moderate pain threshold, so I can honestly say that pain not the huge issue I expected it to be.

My one strong recommendation - Follow the docs orders!
64 yr old living in Southeastern, PA. ED for the past 10 yrs. Bionic on April 25. Coloplast Titan OTR.

dexterbenson1423

Postby dexterbenson1423 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:16 pm

Yes, if you use Senna Leaves too much, they will make your constipation worse. they are meant to be used in the short term. For me, I use the Dr Max Powers 15 Days Cleanse. I DO NOT TAKE IT FOR 15 DAYS!!! I only take two pills the day i have constipation, and maybe the next day. NO MORE. And then I dont take it for a month, as you dont want you body getting used to it. A bottle lasts me about a year, and for the last year I have barely had any problems.

Return to “Implants”