Bleeding at incision after 7 weeks

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
moetheman

Bleeding at incision after 7 weeks

Postby moetheman » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:21 am

Hi guys,

I've been trying to cycle twice a day for about an hour and a half in total for the past few days. I finally decided to give it 100% and see if improves size issues or at least to reach a baseline, from where I can decide if I have any genuine issues or whether they get resolved. I've had bleeding and oozing issues from week 2 to about week 5. The bleeding then stopped but there has been very tiny oozing occasionally. However with the new cycling protocol I've been feeling some pain at the base of the penis and even deeper inside. I think things are "shaking up" in there which I think is probably a good thing and I could feel more blood flowing. It also made me realise that things are not settled deep inside as yet and there is probably internal swelling which may be causing some size issues currently.

Last night I was playing tenpin bowling for the first time since the op and then came home and inflated for about an hour. I noticed after deflating that there was bleeding from the incision site (underside of the penis at the base). I don't think the bowling would have caused it as I was being cautious not to overstretch. This seems like another unexpected setback which will get in the way of cycling.

I've read on Eid's web site that cycling must be started by week 8 and ideally as early as possible, otherwise there can be size issues. Now I don't know how to proceed, should I continue with the cycling and take a chance that there could be further bleeding or stop cycling for a few days? Would that cause issues in terms of size down the line? I'm seeing my doc in just over a week but in the meantime are there any suggestions?

BTW it looks like I'm not bleeding further this morning and applied pressure last night before going to bed so it seems to be in control at the moment, but the worry is that if I inflate it will bleed :(

Thanks,
M
Developed ED at 32.
11/20/15 implanted with a botched Titan Coloplast 18cm + 3cm by urologynow.co.uk
03/23/16 Revision by Dr Eid - implanted a Titan Coloplast 24cm
04/08/16 Started cycling the implant

strongagain

Re: Bleeding at incision after 7 weeks

Postby strongagain » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:46 am

M, I guess you are pumping too long and too hard. My doc told me, in the beginning, to cycle twice a day for 40 minutes in total. Please also read:

"Patient satisfaction and penile morphology changes with postoperative penile rehabilitation 2 years after Coloplast Titan prosthesis
Michael B Pryor1, Rafael Carrion2, Run Wang3, Gerard Henry1
1 Regional Urology, 255 Bert Kouns Industrial Loop, Shreveport, LA, USA
2 Department of Urology, University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida, USA
3 Department of Urology, University of Texas School of Medicine at Houston and MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, USA
Date of Submission 22-Jun-2015

Abstract
A common complaint after inflatable penile prosthesis surgery is reduced penile length. We previously reported how using the Coloplast Titan inflatable penile prosthesis with aggressive new length measurement technique (NLMT) coupled with postoperative IPP rehabilitation of the implant for 1-year helped to improve patient satisfaction and erectile penile measurements. This is a 2 years follow-up of a prospective, three-center, study of 40 patients who underwent Titan prosthesis placement, with new length measurement technique for erectile dysfunction. Patient instructions were to inflate daily for 6 months and then inflate maximally for 1-2 h daily for 6-24 months. Fifteen penile measurements were taken before and immediately after surgery and at follow-up visits. Measurement changes were improved at 24 months as compared to immediately postoperative and at 12 months. 67.8% of subjects were satisfied with their length at 2 years, and 77% had perceived penile length that was longer (30.8%) or the same (46.2%) as prior to the surgery. 64.3% and 17.9% of subjects had increased and unchanged satisfaction, respectively, with penile length as compared to prior to penile implant surgery. All but one subject (96.5%) was satisfied with the overall function of his implant. This study suggests using the Coloplast Titan with aggressive cylinder sizing, and a postoperative penile rehabilitation inflation protocol can optimize patient satisfaction and erectile penile measurements at 2 years post implant."

Take it slow. I received my Titan 4,5 months ago and I'm cycling already as hard as possible, for at least two hours a day in total. But I had used a vacuum pump for app. eight years, so my penis expands easily.

Regarding the bleeding: right after an operation I apply raw honey to the wound. It heals in no time without hardly a scar. Put honey on and a bandage around, repeat it every day.
Last edited by strongagain on Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Born in 1950, ED since 2007 (colon cancer)
08/2015 Titan Zero Degree 22 cm + 3 cm RTE
Dr. Leiber, Freiburg, Germany
6.5" x 5.7" - Very happy with implant

Living in Freiburg, Germany

moetheman

Postby moetheman » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:52 am

StrongAgain wrote:M, I guess you are pumping too long and too hard. My doc told me, in the beginning, to cycle twice a day for 40 minutes in total.

I think you're right about pumping too long and too hard. I've been pumping almost to the max and leaving it on for an hour at least in the evenings. Previously I was cycling once a day for about 10-15 mins. The study you've mentioned also says to cycle once a day for 6 months. My doc also told me to cycle daily for about 10 mins. I'll take it easy from now on (no other choice anyway) and see how it goes. Interesting suggestion about the honey, I'll give it a go if I see any further bleeding.

Thanks for your help StrongAgain
Developed ED at 32.
11/20/15 implanted with a botched Titan Coloplast 18cm + 3cm by urologynow.co.uk

RelievedofED1

Postby RelievedofED1 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:22 am

I would also give your physician a call as they may want to take a look to see if there is some granulation tissue etc that should be cared for.
66 year old with ED intermittently for years and consistently for the 2 years before implant. Tried everything. AMS CX 21cm+1 cm RTEs Dr Kramer 4/29/2015.
Revision 5/3/2021 AMS CX 700 21cm+2 cm RTEs.
Revision 2022 Titan XL 24 cm no RTEs.

chiali09

Postby chiali09 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:14 am

StrongAgain wrote:, Regarding the bleeding: Right after an operation I apply raw honey to the wound. It heals in no time without hardly a scar. Put honey on and a bandage around, repeat it every day.

Where on earth did you get that trick? Pretty cool. I used shea butter. But I will keep this in mind going forward. Thanks!

Anonymous 3

Postby Anonymous 3 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:50 am

Honey has shown terrific healing and antibiotic qualities. There are companies that make honey infused dressings which are used in hospital settings. There are certain kinds of honey that produce the most effects, but any honey would be worth a try.

moetheman

Postby moetheman » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:26 pm

Thanks guys for the advice. I've stopped cycling since two days ago. I've had no further bleeding since a couple of nights ago. I had a really bad day yesterday and mostly stayed in bed as I think I was annoyed about the bleeding issue happening again. Seemed like a major setback but I started feeling better about it last night. Had a great day today, feeling much more positive again.

I'll start cycling slowly from tomorrow evening, probably for 10 mins or so and see how it goes. If I get further issues then I'll email the doc, but the last time I showed it to him he did say it will resolve itself, which it has (relatively speaking). In the meantime I guess it will be 2 steps forward and 1 back, but hopefully it will head in the right direction.
Developed ED at 32.

alibaba

Postby alibaba » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:16 pm

The honey suggestion is true. I had a a skin infection in 2008 that meds were not controlling. I was seeing a professor of infectious disease every 3 weeks for my doctor. I heard about honey and smeared that gooey stuff on every day for 3 weeks and cleared it. Next visit, told the doc what I did. He said he has known of it being used, it's just not FDA approved as there is no profit in it for a drug company to apply for approval of honey. d
LGX 21cm .Milam 01/13/16. Horror; both service and surgical outcome. hated infrapubic installation. Kramer revision 03/01/17. 22cm Titan +1.5cm extender. Those who think their opinion is the only one that matters are a danger to themselves and others.

chiali09

Postby chiali09 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:24 pm

alibaba wrote:The honey suggestion is true. I had a a skin infection in 2008 that meds were not controlling. I was seeing a professor of infectious disease every 3 weeks for my doctor. I heard about honey and smeared that gooey stuff on every day for 3 weeks and cleared it. Next visit, told the doc what I did. He said he has known of it being used, it's just not FDA approved as there is no profit in it for a drug company to apply for approval of honey. d

Haaaaa! Wow, good to know. Thank you all!

moetheman

Postby moetheman » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:54 pm

Do you recommend any particular type of honey?
Developed ED at 32.

Return to “Implants”