What does a penile implant cost?

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
scooter65

Re: What does a penile implant cost?

Postby scooter65 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:56 pm

Well guys, I just logged into my insurance plans website and I am seeing the costs. The costs are about 30 grand that the insurance company paid and had I not had the insurance, it wa billed out at around $53,000.

That having been stated, I had met my deductible max for the year so it actually cost me zero but was shocked none the less!!

Scooter65
Type 1 diabetic for 34 year, ED for the last 10, implant on 11/30/2015.

alibaba

Postby alibaba » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:53 pm

I received the insurance billing on my Wednesday implant at Vanderbilt already. Damn people work fast when there is $$$$ involved. Vanderbilt billed, $61,572.91. Insurance company made an adjustment of $484.00. final cost to insurance draft was $61,088.91. Un f'cking believable. Damn thing should have been gold and diamond studded at that. d
LGX 21cm .Milam 01/13/16. Horror; both service and surgical outcome. hated infrapubic installation. Kramer revision 03/01/17. 22cm Titan +1.5cm extender. Those who think their opinion is the only one that matters are a danger to themselves and others.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:56 pm

Alibaba, If you don't mind telling who is your insurance with and did I read it right, they paid all of it? I'm looking into implants. I'll be 65 in June and getting medicare. Looking for an advantage plan to go with it. Need to find one that will pay for most if not all.
71. ED for about 10+ years to one extent or another. Implanted 9/14/2016 AMS CX 18+3 Fl/ Ky

alibaba

Postby alibaba » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:35 pm

I have United healthcare care plus policy. I've had it for near a decade. My understanding you cannot get it any more which is why I try extra hard to keep the $2100 premiums paid. premuim in 2007 was only $365 for 3 months. Now it is $25k a year and only covers me. They kicked wife off in 07 as uninsureable. She just qualified for medicare 3 months ago and we've not bought her a supplement plan. It will not pay for therapy except inpatient, then 100% if in patient which was an issue 2 years when i needed speech and physical therapy after a stroke and thoraric surgery. It will pay for meds sometimes but not most of the time. They went nuts on premium increases then affordable care act triggered a roll back and has saved me about 2800 a year. It pays 100% of everything once the deductible of $2900 is met with a network provider. If not a network provider then I have to pay $5900 plus 25% of the amount billed. I have 9 years to go to be old enough for medicare.
LGX 21cm .Milam 01/13/16. Horror; both service and surgical outcome. hated infrapubic installation. Kramer revision 03/01/17. 22cm Titan +1.5cm extender. Those who think their opinion is the only one that matters are a danger to themselves and others.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:51 pm

alibaba Thanks for the reply. I've got less than 6 months to go. I hope I can find a advantage plan than will pay for it I can have it done.
71. ED for about 10+ years to one extent or another. Implanted 9/14/2016 AMS CX 18+3 Fl/ Ky

chedog

Postby chedog » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:21 pm

beachbum wrote:Alibaba, If you don't mind telling who is your insurance with and did I read it right, they paid all of it? I'm looking into implants. I'll be 65 in June and getting medicare. Looking for an advantage plan to go with it. Need to find one that will pay for most if not all.

Are you in an area covered by Kaiser (I am in southern CA)? With their Medicare Advantage, my total cost was $220 for a night in the hospital (apparently a Medicare requirement) for what was a $55K bill. I think it's gone up to $240 in 2016.

Strider

Postby Strider » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:46 pm

Mine was $126,000!! But the insurance company only paid a very small part of that. Obviously, the hospital and doctors bill insanely high so they can claim a big loss on taxes.

alibaba

Postby alibaba » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:18 am

Yet cash pay guys can go get the job done for $19 to $26k depending who they choose. I read a list of doc self pay implant fee schedules the day I dropped my computer and broke it. Some of the big name guys were on it and surprisingly reasonable. I could have gotten a 2 for 1 deal at their prices. I don't get how insurance sometimes pays a negotiated amount and sometimes the full thing. When I saw Milam for the short initial visit 3 months ago, they paid his entire fee. This time close to it. I told the wife considering 2 1/2 hour surgery that I expected $38k being they originally wanted a bank letter of guarantee for $30k. Remind me to NOT buy lottery tickets.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:12 am

Chedog I'm in Ky. My Dr is on the AMS web site but dont know about his experience with implants yet. Will be getting more info this spring. My big thing right now is to find the right insurance to cover that also has my other Drs. in their network.

chedog

Postby chedog » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:03 am

In Kentucky, Kaiser won't work for you. But, in California, I found lots of Medicare Advantage choices when I signed up last year. Many of them had lower chrages (at least as advertised) than Kaiser, but I stayed with Kaiser as I've been using them 20 years.

Choosing a urologist was interesting for me. A year ago, I didn't even know about implants. The Kaiser uro I visited early last year for Peyronies (which i'd had for a while but checked every few years to see about new treatments) suggested considering an implant. My wife and I did the research and decided to cure both Peyronies and ED was the way to go.

Now, three surgeries later (that's another story which is here on FT if you want to look it up), we're pleased with my AMS LGX, though we went through the ups and downs (on the middle-range of that spectrum, I've learned from this forum) along the way. Just a week ago, after the final (let's hope) 30 October 2015 surgery, we've declared the experience a success.

I know now that I was "lucky" with my uro as I really didn't know much about her. I think she turned out to be a good choice, despite initial setbacks and my yearning for a Kramer or an Eid as I read the accounts here. (There was certainly much less handholding, or should I say dick-holding, for me than others who went with a superstar.) But it all seems good at this point.

Parenthetically, anyone who reads this have a woman uro? I seem to be anomalous in that realm though i can't imagine I'm the only one!

Return to “Implants”