Reading

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
merrix

Reading

Postby merrix » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:21 am

43 yo, ED forever from VL
Fit and active
Implanted December 2015
Titan XL 24 cm, no RTEs
Dr. Eid
Activated day 13
Sex after 3 weeks
Gained length and girth
So far It works perfectly
Only one advice: Find a world class surgeon

Anonymous 3

Re: Reading

Postby Anonymous 3 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:38 pm

Very interesting reading. Thanks for posting the link.

merrix

Re: Reading

Postby merrix » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:31 pm

Yes it was interesting. Caution is adviced since the article is 10 years old, but particularly interesting was the discussion on infra-pubic vs scrotal:
Scrotal advantages (+) and disadvantages (-) compared to infrapubic:
+ Easier dillution of corpora, beneficial in patients with pyroines and corporal fibrosis and when straightening is needed.
+ Better access to scrotum and easier to perfect the placement of the pump.
+ Minimal tissue dissection.
+ Cylinder insertion with minimal risk of damaging dorsal penile nerves.
- Requires 'blind' insertion of the reservoir which may be problematic in patients with prior hernia repair, pelvic surgery or morbid obesity.

Furthermore, I found it interesting that the author (Garber) says that the AMS models have a disadvantage when it comes to risk of replacement due to that its design allows corporal tissue to grow in to the device which can make it very difficult to dissect the cylinder out of the corpora.

He also mentions that a length-expanding model (i.e. AMS) is a poor choice for patients with curvature as it can make this matter worse. And as a result, of course, for a patient with a straight penis who likes the possibility to have a shorter flaccid - they pose an advantage.

Previous literature claims the Titan will provide a stronger erection and maximize girth potential.

Putting all this together then, my conclusion is that for me it seems the Titan with a scrotal insertion is the best choice (hence I am going with Eid).
I have a curvature, I don't mind the long flaccid, I am very active and like the idea of a perfectly placed pump. I am young and will probably require several replacements. I have no obesity, hernia or pelvic issues. And I do like the idea of maximum rigidity and girth.

However, Garber uses the scrotum method and hence he might be biased. We also know most top surgeons seems to be pro Coloplast vs AMS, and this could be due to relations and financial interest rather than medical advantages. However, when trying to make an informed decision, I'd rather go with available published research and doctors' recommendations than flipping a coin.
43 yo, ED forever from VL
Fit and active
Implanted December 2015
Titan XL 24 cm, no RTEs
Dr. Eid
Activated day 13
Sex after 3 weeks
Gained length and girth
So far It works perfectly
Only one advice: Find a world class surgeon

Return to “Implants”