Pre-op done

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
scooter65

Pre-op done

Postby scooter65 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:33 pm

Hi guys:
First of all, thanks to all of you for what you are willing to share with one another. I have been a 34 yr type 1 diabetic and for the past 10 years I have been going through all of the different ed pills one at a time until the dose was maxed and then tried another. It wasn't perfect but it worked most of the time. Late this summer the body decided that it had had enough. At first it was just poor quality erections and then nothing. I really did not realize how significant of an issue it was until I asked my wife how long it had been since she had reached orgasm and although she did not want to say it, i did the math and realized that it had been about 6 months. My wife is wonderful and she would NEVER complain but I knew that it was time to move on in terms of therapy. I was presented the options and decided to go right to the implant. After I started to put the pieces in to place, I stumbled onto your site which has been very helpful in reliving a lot of the anxiety about my decision. I just left my regular (internal medicine) Dr who gave me my pre-op physical and told her how I came to the decision and she was onboard as well (She is an amazing Doc).
So surgery is set for Mon Nov. 30th and I am very stressed about it. My Doc (urologist) usually has his patients under general anesthesia but I have a lot of alzheimers with family relatives and have read of there possibly being a link as to how the general anesthesia memory loss and alzheimers appear to be similar. Ok, I am probably just paranoid but how did people like doing a general vs a spinal (and if you did the spinal, did you stay awake for it). I am just not a big fan of having a piece of my memory wiped away...

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Type 1 diabetic for 34 year, ED for the last 10, implant on 11/30/2015.

ED2013

Re: Pre-op done

Postby ED2013 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:09 pm

I did general and no real memory loss. Just feel kinda foggy when you wake up.

alibaba

Postby alibaba » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:28 pm

Scooter, I have had many surgeries. Without counting I think it is around 22. When I was young, in the 60's and early 70's it seemed like every time i went under i would have to relearn everything we had been working on in school, especially math. I hated that. Surgeries in 87, 97, 2009, 2010, 2013, I had no such issues. I do not know it things are more refined or better meds, better trained anesthesiologists, but this nolonger seems to be an issue. I've had Midazlam, ( Versed), Propofol ( my preference but also what killed Michael jackson so you do not want an idiot anesthesiologist) and others. It seems to me that most surgeons have an anesthesiologist they are comfortable working with. Best of luck to you. d
LGX 21cm .Milam 01/13/16. Horror; both service and surgical outcome. hated infrapubic installation. Kramer revision 03/01/17. 22cm Titan +1.5cm extender. Those who think their opinion is the only one that matters are a danger to themselves and others.

Epsilon

Postby Epsilon » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:19 pm

Scooter,
I've had half a dozen surgeries and found the spinal to be to my liking. One exception was the significant sting from the injection into the spine itself. That was for a knee replacement. A few months later, I did the other knee and asked if they couldn't give me that spinal injection AFTER I was asleep. They did and it solved the problem.

For one of my Spinal's, I asked to stay awake (a hernia repair) and chatted with them a bit while they were slicing away. No problem but it was quite boring and I fell asleep in the middle of the completely painless procedure.

I think most docs would agree a spinal is a lower risk anesthesia than a General (I think that's with a tube down your throat) but perhaps someone else can comment. I think they always caution you about general anesthesia as there is a small small risk. Hopefully, someone here knows more. I have a friend (now wealthy) who's wife died under a general for a simple surgery. The anesthesiologist ended up moving away after extreme press coverage ruined his reputation in the area. That was 15 years ago but it did happen and can happen today. I don't think a spinal carries the possibility of death but can someone comment.

That's one of the reasons like you, I'm anxious, fearful, and ill at ease over my appointment on the table about a week before you. Hope this helps. It's scary
that's for sure.

alibaba

Postby alibaba » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:49 pm

One of the big name docs, Eid I believe, prefers spinal as it relaxes the smooth muscles to make implanting easier. I know there are other drugs that also relax muscles under general anesthesia too. Vecuronium and rocuronium I think were what they were when I check over the bills. Only experience I had with spinal had a spinal catheter to keep feeding it in me for 4 days. I hated the catheter of course I was laying on it too. I think spinal for a surgery like this is just a shot between the associated vertibrate for the nerves that go to the groin. I have been awake in a couple surgeries. cool to talk to the doc but I always hated they would tape pads over my eyes so I could not watch. One doc did let me watch this summer. cool and surprisingly seemed as simple as watching your mother cut and sew. d
LGX 21cm .Milam 01/13/16. Horror; both service and surgical outcome. hated infrapubic installation. Kramer revision 03/01/17. 22cm Titan +1.5cm extender. Those who think their opinion is the only one that matters are a danger to themselves and others.

Anonymous 3

Postby Anonymous 3 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:29 am

I have had several surgeries under general anesthesia including my implant, and have not had any problems with it. I was offered a spinal but chose the general. I've had many procedures and just don't want to know anymore. :D

scooter65

Postby scooter65 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:15 am

Guys
Thanks for the responses. It seems as if there is not a real preference and most everyone was satisfied with what they received. At this point I am going to have to keep an open mind until the morning of and talk through it with the anesthesiologist.
I sure appreciate your feedback!!
Type 1 diabetic for 34 year, ED for the last 10, implant on 11/30/2015.

flman48

Postby flman48 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:07 pm

I got implanted a month ago with spinal anesthesia. I was also given meds to put me to sleep but no tube. A local block was used also which provided 12 hrs of pain relief.
Joined the Bionic Brotherhood on 10/16/15 Coloplast Titan Touch 22cm + 1cm rte implanted by Dr. Paul Perito

KMeister

Postby KMeister » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:51 am

scooter65 wrote:Ok, I am probably just paranoid but how did people like doing a general vs a spinal (and if you did the spinal, did you stay awake for it). I am just not a big fan of having a piece of my memory wiped away...

General for me. I don't want to watch. Just wake me when it's over.

KMeister

roninhouston

Postby roninhouston » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:51 pm

KMeister wrote:
scooter65 wrote:Ok, I am probably just paranoid but how did people like doing a general vs a spinal (and if you did the spinal, did you stay awake for it). I am just not a big fan of having a piece of my memory wiped away...

General for me. I don't want to watch. Just wake me when it's over.

KMeister

I am with KMeister,

Had no desire to see all the bloody details, in fact I started looking at YOUTUBE videos of the procedure and STOPPED. Too much blood and gore. They put me to sleep and I woke up it was all done.
Bionic with AMS CX on August 14, 2015. Inflated September 15th by Dr. Robert Cornell.
Was 69 with VL
. Pre-Op VED Protocol Therapy and Post-Op VED Protocol Therapy: Pre-Op length by 6th month.

Return to “Implants”