Calling All NHS Implantees

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Seeking

Calling All NHS Implantees

Postby Seeking » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:19 pm

I know RugbyDave, irishguy and DoomEngloom have been implanted on the NHS. Their experiences were sadly mixed and it looks like the latter two members haven't been active on here for a long while, which is unfortunate because it looked as though they had some unresolved issues shortly after their surgery concerning floppy glans.

Therefore, I'd love to hear from anyone who has been implanted on the NHS with a summary of their experience.

Any info you could provide would be great.

SteveH

Re: Calling All NHS Implantees

Postby SteveH » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:49 pm

It was a complete success and I love it ---thank you to the University College London
AMS LGX 18cm with 3mm rte Feb 2015 - Penis damaged in bike accident August 2007

lapiste

Postby lapiste » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:44 pm

I am also curious to hear about NHS implantees. I live in Scotland and consulted both with my local urologist (on NHS) and privately with a UCL urologist in London. Because of all the recommendations on this forum to go with high-volume surgeons, I tried to be referred to the London doctors. Unfortunately, my local GP and urologist have categorically refused to refer me to London. Basically, I have been told that NHS Scotland pays for doctors to do implants in Scotland and therefore there is no reason why I should have it done in London (which would require NHS Scotland to pay NHS England for the surgery). I'm very frustrated because it seems really unfair to me that only people living in England get access to the surgeons with the most specialized surgeons in the UK. My local surgeon is really nice, but he does only about 25 implants a year, which doesn't seem like a lot.

The surgery would be covered completely by NHS Scotland, but I'm very anxious that I may not put all the chances on my side if I have it done here. Therefore, I'm also considering having it done in the US, which would require using all my savings and borrowing the rest from my family. Not sure what to do at this point...

RelievedofED1

Postby RelievedofED1 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:16 pm

25 a year is a respectable number but I would also ask if it would be possible to speak with their recent patients as a reference and I would ask the doc what their infection and complication rates are. Just my two cents.
66 year old with ED intermittently for years and consistently for the 2 years before implant. Tried everything. AMS CX 21cm+1 cm RTEs Dr Kramer 4/29/2015.
Revision 5/3/2021 AMS CX 700 21cm+2 cm RTEs.
Revision 2022 Titan XL 24 cm no RTEs.

Anonymous 3

Postby Anonymous 3 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:04 pm

lapiste wrote:I am also curious to hear about NHS implantees. I live in Scotland and consulted both with my local urologist (on NHS) and privately with a UCL urologist in London. Because of all the recommendations on this forum to go with high-volume surgeons, I tried to be referred to the London doctors. Unfortunately, my local GP and urologist have categorically refused to refer me to London. Basically, I have been told that NHS Scotland pays for doctors to do implants in Scotland and therefore there is no reason why I should have it done in London (which would require NHS Scotland to pay NHS England for the surgery). I'm very frustrated because it seems really unfair to me that only people living in England get access to the surgeons with the most specialized surgeons in the UK. My local surgeon is really nice, but he does only about 25 implants a year, which doesn't seem like a lot.

The surgery would be covered completely by NHS Scotland, but I'm very anxious that I may not put all the chances on my side if I have it done here. Therefore, I'm also considering having it done in the US, which would require using all my savings and borrowing the rest from my family. Not sure what to do at this point...

I had mine done by one of the local surgeons. I am in Canada. There were several reasons for this., The first was that it was completely paid for by my health insurance and if I had travelled to the US I would have had to pay the whole amount myself including travel and accomodation expenses. That was never going to happen. I also reasoned that if something went wrong and the implant had to be removed I would be no further behind. My ED was total, no pills, pumps or injections worked any more and hadn't for a couple of years. There was a lot to gain and nothing really to lose. Also, if something did go wrong, I was just a 2 hour drive away from the hospital and my surgeon instead of thousands of miles away. Lastly, unless people use the services of lesser known surgeons, these docs will never gain experience and I figure that with our aging population, the demand for this surgery will only grow. The more capable, experienced surgeons there are, the better.

BTW, I had my surgery in May. My implant is 100% functional, with no SST syndrome and no sign of infection. The pump is still quite firm and requires a fair bit of pressure to operate still but I am pleased with the job my low volume implanter did.

Seeking

Postby Seeking » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:51 pm

My biggest concern with an NHS op is how quickly you can get a salvage/revision done. I find private clinics are hugely more urgent and timely in this respect, which is good to know if you have a 0% working penis...

Anonymous 3

Postby Anonymous 3 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:09 am

An badly infected implant requiring a salvage operation would be a pretty serious condition and I would expect that would put you pretty close to the top of the list for the removal/reimplantation.

lapiste

Postby lapiste » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:22 pm

Many thanks for the very helpful info and opinions!

SteveH

Postby SteveH » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:28 pm

I had my AMS LGX fitted in Feb this year at the UCLH in London
Yes it did hurt and I got a small infection but that was soon forgotten
I had about a month off work but that was more by choice
I had no loss of length or girth infact I would say it has improved as things seem to shrink when not used
The first thing I felt was the implant never really empties no matter how hard I try have now got used to it - Really it looks better being bigger
I pump it every day just to cycle the implant
Usually inflate it before I go to sleep then when I wake up its like the good old days
Although my Op was done in Feb this year it hasnt had alot of use as my wife took ill just before
But it works beautifully and I feel like a man again - All the pressure has gone away and I know if an erection is needed a good one is there
I wish I had this done years ago - If this one fails I will not think twice about having a replacement
Before the ED set in I had a Bike accident in 2007 and damaged my penis causing a bad bend when erect as the scar tissue wouldn't stretch
The Implant has miraculously straightened things up so two jobs sorted in one operation
Well pleased
My only question I have to ask has any one else got marks or small spot like lumps where the Implant is pulled up through the end of the penis one side has settled but the other is still raised after 8 months
AMS LGX 18cm with 3mm rte Feb 2015 - Penis damaged in bike accident August 2007

Return to “Implants”