Salvage Surgery

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
SR68GTO

Salvage Surgery

Postby SR68GTO » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:24 pm

I completed my third surgery last April. First surgery ended in infection after 4 weeks. Second surgery taking out the inflatable, cleaning out infection and implanting a semi-rigid hurt all the time. My third surgery 8 months later was to remove the semi-rigid and try again with an inflatable. After another 5 months and mild discomfort I have recently developed a really sore spot in the penis which might be another infection. They say a latent infection can surface 6 months or later after implant surgery.

My surgeon is trying me on another round of antibiotics but from what I read this approach rarely works in cases of infection.

My next options are complete removal and just give up or try again using a "salvage" technique to reinstall a new inflatable.

Has anyone had success with this salvage approach after an infection? After more than a year of this and three surgeries I am at wits end to decide what to do.

Seeking

Re: Salvage Surgery

Postby Seeking » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:48 pm

This sounds about as tough as it gets - first ED and now this. Hang in there buddy, I hope you're coping as well as could be expected for such a difficult scenario.

Can I ask you how long it took from the initial diagnosis of the first infection to actually having the implant removed? I am in the UK and am considering going to the US for treatment; however if I return to the UK and need to have the implant removed ASAP due to infection I just want to know how much time I've got at my disposal. I'm not entirely sure how an urgent surgery such as that would work with NHS waiting lists.

Could you also state who your surgeon was or PM me, please?

Thanks very much,
Seeking

Return to “Implants”