Coming up with the money

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
hendrix

Coming up with the money

Postby hendrix » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:48 pm

I'm wondering if people could share how they financed their surgery (not those with insurance that covered), and maybe shine a light on my financial situation on any areas I'm missing.

Basically I'm in Canada. The wait-list is way too long here. It has taken way too long to get to the point I'm at and my doc still hasn't put me on the wait-list. It's always 6 months to see a doctor, or 6 months for a follow up, etc... This time is adding up, and I just want to go to the States, pay for it, and get it done so I can move on with my life.

My financial situation. I have zero debt. I have a car worth ~$18k w/ a $9.5k loan on it. My housing is only $600 a month. I make ~$38k/year in a job I just started out of University (I went back to school late, and am 30 years old). By the time I pay for my taxes, rent, food, car payments, and a little entertainment I don't have anywhere near enough to save to come up with the ~$26k (after factoring in the currency exchange rate) it would cost for this surgery any time soon. It would probably take just as long to save up the cash as it would to go on the wait list in Canada.

Anything I'm missing that you guys can think of? Do some hospitals finance this sort of thing? Should I sell my car to get the cash and reduce expenses, then save every single cent for a year? Maybe I could save up $20k cash in a year? Does anybody know if there are alternatives that are cheaper? Perhaps there is a doctor in Canada that would do it for $20k Canadian currency, which would save me the USD-CAD currency exchange rate?

Would just appreciate some opinions.

hendrix

Re: Coming up with the money

Postby hendrix » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:43 pm

Actually, I ran into an old post from 3 years ago about Dr. Drogo Montague at the Cleveland Clinic only costing $12k. I didn't realize there was this big of a difference from 1 doctor to the next. Anybody else know of Doctors that are in a reasonable price range like this? That would be $15.5k Canadian. Pretty sure I could find a way to come up with that sort of money in a decent time frame.

FlaDon

Postby FlaDon » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:09 pm

My doctor charges $12K for patients without insurance, or for those who choose to pay out of pocket.
63, Central Florida area, ED for two years. Implanted with Coloplast Titan Touch (22 cm w/ no RTE's) March 23, 2015 in Daytona Beach by Dr. Martin Dineen.

hendrix

Postby hendrix » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:34 pm

FlaDon wrote:My doctor charges $12K for patients without insurance, or for those who choose to pay out of pocket.

That is something I could swing. Are you happy with the results? Any idea how many implants Dr. Dineen does a year?

Thanks

FlaDon

Postby FlaDon » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:55 pm

He does over 100 a year. I am extremely pleased with the results. Dr. Dineen is an advocate of the VED protocol, which he states in his practice has virtually eliminated complaints of loss of size post surgery. I didn't lose any length at all.
63, Central Florida area, ED for two years. Implanted with Coloplast Titan Touch (22 cm w/ no RTE's) March 23, 2015 in Daytona Beach by Dr. Martin Dineen.

hendrix

Postby hendrix » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:02 pm

FlaDon wrote:He does over 100 a year. I am extremely pleased with the results. Dr. Dineen is an advocate of the VED protocol, which he states in his practice has virtually eliminated complaints of loss of size post surgery. I didn't lose any length at all.

Thanks.

One more question. I see you got the Titan and seem happy with the results as you didn't lose size. I think would prefer the LGX700 if I got the choice as it seems like it increases in both length and girth. To me that seems like a higher likelyhood I don't lose any size when my surgery is performed. Do you know if he will do a LGX700 implant, or is he only Titan?

FlaDon

Postby FlaDon » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:16 pm

I went into this wanting the LGX too, for the same reasons, but he heavily prefers the Titan, and gave me many reasons for his preference. I see you are young, and will likely have to have the implant replaced at some point in the future. He explained that the Titan is better for future replacements because of the cylinder material. You can search the internet for comparisons and the differences between the AMS & Coloplast implants. So while you do have a choice, I wouldn't rule out the Titan simply because you think you might have a chance at a little extra length. With either implant, you are unlikely to be any longer than your stretched flaccid length.

anotherguy

Postby anotherguy » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:40 am

@hendrix I'm probably gonna have to pay for everything out pocket since I don't have insurance at the moment. Financially I'm in a similar position to you, except that I'll be able to save a lot more of my income pretty soon. At this rate, and god forbid that nothing major happens, I should be able to afford the implant in about a year and a half I'm thinking. I'm also a little bit older.

I'm in the U.S. btw and I'm going to try to get a loan from my credit union this December and like you, and most of us here, the sooner I get this problem taken care the better.
Implanted by Dr. Andrew Kramer
AMS LGX 21cm + 1.5cm rte
great results | great surgeon
Here is a YouTube video of Dr. Andrew Kramer performing penile implant surgery

keith4627

Postby keith4627 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:04 pm

I had insurance with blue-cross & blue shield but they wouldn't cover it,said it was because of coverage my company chose. My Dr. wanted to use A.M.S. and i was told implant was $12,500.00 I called A.M.S. and they WILL fiance that cost for 24 months if you qualify. they were very nice and process was very simple. My total expense was close to $40,000.00 though. But that was because i had peyronies in 2 places and there was other things that had to be done. I think the normal cost is around 18 to 20 thousand.I was going to get a loan like someone mentioned but found out i could get a hardship withdraw from my 401k. Glad i did it.

warrenw123

Postby warrenw123 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:36 pm

I had United Health Care 3 years ago when I got mine. Some how it was approved in 4 days. The total cost was $71K but I assume most of that was the hospital bills and cost nothing out of pocket. I sure wish I had that insurance again! Now I have to see the doctor again because it is not working and will cost me $225 just to see him and ask why I cannot squeeze the bulb at all anymore.

Warren

Return to “Implants”