Do you keep your implant totally secret?

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
OttoHS

Re: Do you keep your implant totally secret?

Postby OttoHS » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:59 pm

Initially I told people that I was having surgery to deal with incontinence issues from my radical prostatectomy. I had my implant surgery followed by make sling surgery 8 weeks later. After the second surgery one of my friends questioned me as to why I needed two operations. I could tell that he thought that the surgery had something to with a recurrence of prostate cancer. So, I decided that the truth was better than having friends and family think that I was dying from prostate cancer. I have told my closest friends and my family. Everyone has been supportive. I think that it is a lot easier for me to disclose the implant since I was very public about my prostate cancer diagnosis and radical prostatectomy. Anyone who knows anything about a radical prostatectomy knows what the two common side effects are. So my having implant surgery is not exactly something out of the blue. The way I look at it is that my surgery is no different than breast reconstruction surgery that women have after a radical mastectomy
Last edited by OttoHS on Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

charlesr

Postby charlesr » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:35 pm

EVERYBODY knows. My kids, clients, brothers, sisters, fellow female teachers whom my wife has talked with, work associates, most of the people (male and female) at my church and possibly some vendors of whom I know well. The only ones left out of this list were the grandkids, other young ones and many of my female work associates and clients.

I know of my wife's friends who have had mastectomies with reconstruction and I discuss this as the same issue. Everyone on that first list knew that I had prostate cancer, so they know that I had "reconstruction," or an implant.

It's not the first thing that I bring up at gatherings, but my life is an open book and I am anything but ashamed. Once it's out there it becomes a non-issue, just like my ruptered Achilles tendon from three months ago, my throat implants, blood pressure and cholesterol counts and various other medical situations.

I would recommend that mindset with everyone, but that's just me.
Born 1951. Radical Robotic Prostatectomy on October 6, 2013. Bionic with Titan Touch with Bioflex Zero Degree 18cm w/ (1) rte Implant, Infrapubic, on July 13, 2015.

David_R

Postby David_R » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:20 pm

Leek65 wrote:To the rest of world I am having a hernia repair.

I told people who didn't need to know that I was having "urological surgery," and they didn't want to know more. :)

jimp444

Postby jimp444 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:46 pm

Same as RelievedofED1 with only wife and doctors knowing. Otherwise I said "old guy surgery" when asked --- which seemed to satisfy everyone with no further questions.
64 yr old living in Southeastern, PA. ED for the past 10 yrs. Bionic on April 25. Coloplast Titan OTR.

SteveH

Postby SteveH » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:27 am

I am so pleased with mine I feel like telling and showing everybody - But know I better not
AMS LGX 18cm with 3mm rte Feb 2015 - Penis damaged in bike accident August 2007

Boulder

Postby Boulder » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:10 am

I'm single and I date a lot, I don't tell any of them except the ones I want to keep around and who ask about the 3rd nut. I tell a story that I was in special forces in Iraq and took schrapnel in my pelvis that hit the erectil nerve. Then the girls usually cry and I get a good sympathy fuck. I use that story only for the one night stands...works great! I feel that no woman wants to hear about prostate cancer...big turn off! My brother knows and an old girlfriend, who blabbed to all her friends when we got into a spat. So for all you single guys out there in my opinion don't say anything, unless they ask and you think and you feel you can "trust" that they will keep it a secret, which most don't! Women talk much more then us guys!

RickRed40

Postby RickRed40 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:09 am

I had shoulder surgery last week. I HATED having to share my surgical history with both doctors and nurses that I had a penile implant. I told no one about my implant surgery for more than a year. Once my wife and I published our book, I posted the cover on my Facebook page. At that point all my friends and family knew about my being impotent and my having implant surgery Thankfully none of my friends or any family members have asked me any questions about it. I never imagined I'd break my secrecy in such a public way.
Attachments
RenderedContent-4AA12B57-C5A7-4936-B56C-2ECB2C7273E4.JPG
RenderedContent-4AA12B57-C5A7-4936-B56C-2ECB2C7273E4.JPG (123.25 KiB) Viewed 2660 times

David_R

Postby David_R » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:39 am

RickRed40 wrote:I HATED having to share my surgical history with both doctors and nurses that I had a penile implant.

I have no problem sharing that I have an implant with doctors or nurses (or techs doing CT scans or MRIs). Some know about implants, some don't know about implants, and some are curious about implants. I consider what I'm doing with the latter two groups -- don't know and curious -- as "continuing medical education"! ;)

RickRed40

Postby RickRed40 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:30 pm

No that my wife and I wrote our book I suspect that medical educator will be my new role as well. It is distressing to meet so many in the medical field who don't know what an implant does.

jonbaldbg

Postby jonbaldbg » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:30 pm

I go in to have mine done October 12, 2016. Originally I was going to fly to Maryland alone for the procedure. Annually, my two brothers and I get together for a "brothers vacation" around this time of year. When I let them know I would be out of commission for about 6 weeks due to surgery I was having in Maryland, one brother (from Orlando) volunteered to some up and drive me to Maryland. He's retired and travels all the time. I then suggested the three of us ride together and make that our "brothers vacation." That way we could talk on the road and they could sightsee while I recuperated in the hotel room. We finally decided we'd rather all fly and meet there. So, my wife and brothers' know about this, but the rest of the world thinks I'm going on my annual brothers' trip. I'm not sure how to explain why I'll be hobbling around when I return if that is indeed the case. One does not travel from Kentucky to Baltimore for a hernia operation! :D
62 years old. ED for years. High BP and meds have done me in. AMS 700 CX /3.0 cm RTE Implanted by Andrew Kramer on 10/12/16. Involved revision to relocate tubes and pump performed 12/29/16 by Dr. Knoll of Nashville, TN.

Return to “Implants”