Swapping out Penile Implants After Install

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Cal2014

Swapping out Penile Implants After Install

Postby Cal2014 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:03 pm

Hi All,

I'm 31 years old man with venous leak. (I have great difficulty getting and sustaining 100% erections.)

I've been afraid of getting an implant for a very long time, but I've finally reached that point where I'm so tired of living the nightmare of being a young, single man with ED, that I am beginning to seriously consider it as an option.

Obviously I need to do my own research, do my reading, contact doctors etc., but having just browsed around the forum a bit, a new question has entered my mind that I hadn't thought of before: how long will an implant continue functioning, and if it malfunctions can you have it replaced with a new one?

I've been to one website already where they say that swapping out an old malfunctioning implant with a new functional one is easily done.

Is this the case? Have any of you had an implant removed and swapped out with a new one?

Again, I'm planning to do my own research and homework, but just wanted to put up a post too.

Thanks,

Cal

ED2013

Re: Implants for Men Under 35?

Postby ED2013 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:17 pm

Cal2014 wrote:Hi All,

I'm 31 years old man with venous leak. (I have great difficulty getting and sustaining 100% erections.)

I've been afraid of getting an implant for a very long time, but I've finally reached that point where I'm so tired of living the nightmare of being a young, single man with ED, that I am beginning to seriously consider it as an option.

Obviously I need to do my own research, do my reading, contact doctors etc., but having just browsed around the forum a bit, a new question has entered my mind that I hadn't thought of before: how long will an implant continue functioning?

I thought I remember speaking to a man who said that you are supposed to have them removed and replaced every 10 years. Is this the case?

Again, I'm planning to do my own research and homework, but just wanted to put up a post too.

Thanks,

Cal

I was implanted a year and a half ago at age 35. How long they last varies, they can last longer than 10 years, or less it just depends. Revisions to replace an implant are generally less traumatic than the original surgery. I highly recommend going with a top surgeon.

NickNickNick

Re: Swapping out Penile Implants After Install

Postby NickNickNick » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:22 pm

Implants last about an average of 15 years. Some as long as 25. I don't know what treatments you've tried, but remember, implants are a last resort. Once it's done, it's done.
AMS 700 LGX. Edward Karpman, California. 02/2015

hardernharder

Postby hardernharder » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:16 pm

Hello,
This is surgery video, They do many revisions and repairs. As others mentioned,here, high volume surgeon is the key to success.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4_BOQeB02M

KMeister

Postby KMeister » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:25 am

Cal2014 wrote:Hi All,

Obviously I need to do my own research, do my reading, contact doctors etc., but having just browsed around the forum a bit, a new question has entered my mind that I hadn't thought of before: how long will an implant continue functioning, and if it malfunctions can you have it replaced with a new one?

I've been to one website already where they say that swapping out an old malfunctioning implant with a new functional one is easily done.

Is this the case? Have any of you had an implant removed and swapped out with a new one?

Thanks,

Cal

Cal, I've had two revisions after my initial implant. The first revision didn't last long due to a defect in one of the cylinders. However, the second one has been fine. With a skilled surgeon, revisions tend to go much more smoothly than the original procedure.

dg_moore

Postby dg_moore » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:42 am

Note what everybody above has said. With a top surgeon such as Kramer, Eid, Perito, Garber, Milam, Karpman, as well as several others, you maximize the likelihood of a successful outcome. Experience and skill are crucial here - don't take a chance with an inexperienced surgeon. If you have to travel to get to a good surgeon, do it - it will be worth the trip.
Dave, 80, Maryland - Implant (Titan) 2008 by Dr. Andrew Kramer (failed Sept 2020) - never used due to a stroke that, among other things, ended my sex life.
Life is not the way it's supposed to be, it's the way it is.

Cal2014

Postby Cal2014 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:54 pm

Thanks for the replies, guys. Now that I know I can get revisions if I end up needing an implant, it's time to start researching surgeons and cost. ;)

LGX_Man

Postby LGX_Man » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:07 am

I had a few problems with my first procedure. Doctor did infrapubic and the bulb got stuck between my penis and scrotum. That was livable but then I got an unrelated disease and developed an infection in my body. The implant had to come out. Dealt with the infection, got better and had implant #2 installed. It was a success, done scrotally. the only way that I believe in now, and a complete success. Taking one out and putting another in is generally not a problem unless there were other problems in the area.
62. Retired. AMS 700 LGX implanted Nov. 18, 2013. Ask me any questions about being implanted or life afterwards.

chedog

Postby chedog » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:45 am

LGX_Man wrote:I had a few problems with my first procedure. Doctor did infrapubic and the bulb got stuck between my penis and scrotum. That was livable but then I got an unrelated disease and developed an infection in my body. The implant had to come out. Dealt with the infection, got better and had implant #2 installed. It was a success, done scrotally. the only way that I believe in now, and a complete success. Taking one out and putting another in is generally not a problem unless there were other problems in the area.

My first implant was infrapubic surgery as was yours. It was removed because the scrotum reacted to the pump in a way that worried my doc that there might be an infection if it stayed.

I now have semi-rigids but the option to try again with a second inflatable. I hadn't given thought yet to the method of the surgery, but you've piqued my interest with your comment "It was a success, done scrotally. the only way that I believe in now, and a complete success."

Can you tell us more about that conclusion for my own research for my putative Second Time Around? Thank you.

Return to “Implants”