pre and post implant antibiotics

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
william7

pre and post implant antibiotics

Postby william7 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:00 pm

I'd like to hear what anti-infection protocols everyone went through.
Were you given antibiotics before surgery? If so, how many days before surgery?
Were you given antibiotics after after surgery? If so, how long were you on them?
Thanks!

Greywolf

Re: pre and post implant antibiotics

Postby Greywolf » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:00 pm

I had no antibiotics in the days preceding implant surgery. In the prep room I had an antibiotic drip. In the recovery room I have no recollection. When taken up to a regular room for the night I had an iv drip that evening, and then nearly 2 hours of saline and antibiotic drip the next morning. I couldn't leave till that was all completed. Upon departure I had a prescription for a ten day supply of one-a-day antibiotic pills, which I took. I had no infection so I guess this regimen worked.

Hope this helps.
RP: Sept. 2011, pathology: small tumor, 3+3, fully contained. One nerve removed, the other badly damaged, result: near total ED. PSA 3 years out: undetectable. AMS 700 LGX implant: 1/21/15. Current status (3/4/15): Now bionic, working on restoring size.

truckee48

Postby truckee48 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:39 am

My experience was identical to Greywolf. Same protocol.

gregorbehr

Postby gregorbehr » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:19 am

Being a diabetic and having a bum heart, I'm considered "high risk" and still only had post-op antibiotics.
Antibiotics on IV drip (3 or 4) during my overnight in the hospital, and a ten day, 4 pills a day oral antibiotic.
Nothing pre-op...

Return to “Implants”