Questions about activation

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
RickRed40

Questions about activation

Postby RickRed40 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:36 pm

March 9th is my activation date. I have a few questions/concerns and would appreciate those further along sharing their experiences. Here's my questions:

1. Is it painful to have the implant activated?

2. Before you leave is there enough time given to ensure that I can inflate and deflate the implant. (I can't feel the release button)

3. Are you able to use the implant on the day of activation or is it best to wait a few days?

4. Any important tips, advice that would be good to know?

oldcar

Re: Questions about activation

Postby oldcar » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:01 am

I will be in the activated on Feb 26 and I have been told to take some Motrin 1 to 2 hours before my appointment. From what I have found out it may hurt or be sore after the activation or maybe not hurt at all. You should do a search on this web site for activation as there have been other comments from others that have been down the road before.

RickRed40

Postby RickRed40 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:52 am

I appreciated the suggestion to take a pain med before activation. I will certainly do that.

upandhard

Postby upandhard » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:42 pm

I took 2 pain pills an hour before the activation appointment. It worked perfectly as I felt no pain during the activation. My doc turned me loose and cleared me to make full use of the implant afterwards. Also, yes, my doc insured that I knew how to both inflate and deflate. I'm sure yours will take you through this drill as well. Good luck, RR!

JerGeezer

Postby JerGeezer » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:10 pm

I've had three implants and had no pain at all during any of the initial activations.
I'm 75 and got an AMS Ultrex in 1995. Had it replaced in 1999. Got a new AMS 700 LGX in 2013.

RickRed40

Postby RickRed40 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:58 pm

Three implants no activation pain. That's fantastic. My journey so far has been of exceptions to the rule. Since my scrotum swelled to the size of a grapefruit, and I still have some degree of pain, I suspect I won't have a pain free activation. It seems there's such a variety of experiences. You had no pain, some men have pain for the initial activation, others have said the pain has lasted as long as three months.

I like to hope for the best but prepare for the worst, so I'll be taking something for pain prior to activation while hoping I have your experience of no pain. Three implant surgeries, that's amazing. I don't know if I could go through another surgery. I take it you've found the pump to be highly satisfying or you wouldn't have put yourself through three surgeries. I find that in itself encouraging.

MrMoJoeRisin

Postby MrMoJoeRisin » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:12 am

I was activated Feb 3rd.

Dr. Garber explained the function of the pump, it was not all that hard to get the concept. There was a little soreness and pain with the first few pumps. But pump away and play around - have sex - the soreness for me went away after a week or so.

I can pump now and really do not have pain. After a long session of sex, I felt a little sore.

Should not be very painful.
46, Type II Diabetic Progressive ED since 2005

RickRed40

Postby RickRed40 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:36 am

I don't know how I managed to do this this, but I thought I had my hand on the pump and I gave it a hard squeeze. Unfortunately for me it turned out I mistakenly grabbed my right testicle. It throbbed for hours afterward. This experience taught me a very important lesson. Not to assume I've grabbed the pump. I'm going to CHECK IT OUT that I've correctly identified the pump, before giving it a hard squeeze!

I think I've located the release valve but it's very close to the suture line, which still has stitches in, so it's too early (and painful) to be poking around in that area.

I hope I'm healed enough in 3 weeks go for activation, because I'm still somewhat swollen. Additionally, there are areas in the scrotum which are VERY painful to touch. I still can't get to sleep without over the counter pain meds both at night and at some point in the middle of the night as well.

I don't want to drive to San Francisco only to find it's too painful for me to activate the pump, making it necessary to go back again for another lesson on how to use and release the pump.

If my stitches have not absorbed a few days prior to my appointment for activation, I'm wondering if I should postpone the appointment a few weeks. As it stands now there's no way I'd let anyone touch the area near my release valve. That said, a lot can happen in the next three weeks.

MrMoJoeRisin

Postby MrMoJoeRisin » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:05 pm

That's a tough one - I was infra pubic, so didn't have to deal with scrotal sutures.

For sure it's slippery trying to grab that pump. I still use two hands fearing it will slip and hit my testicles.

But it's much easier to manage after just a bit of practice. Play around with it, you get the hang of it. The valve is easy to find, again use two hands to keep it steady and then just depress it firmly.

What I found painful was my first orgasm. The tightening of the muscles in the area, really created a bit of pain around the implant - the portion that 'anchors'. But that has subsided - and everything seems to be going well. Each day, it feels more like a natural part of me. I'm thinking in another month or two I should have no soreness at all.

Best of luck to you!
46, Type II Diabetic Progressive ED since 2005

backup2014

Postby backup2014 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:09 pm

I had my implant on Dec 15th 2014. I am 8 weeks post op. I had a terrible time the first 3 weeks after surgery. The pain was almost unbearable. I thought this was going to be a walk in the park compared to my prostate removal back in March 2014. WRONG!! This wasn't as easy as I had hoped it would be. I guess I am one of the 5% that just has issues. I got a inflammation right after surgery, it felt like someone had hit me in the boys with a ball bat. When I went in to be activated I was sore as a boil. Still swollen and thinking I have really messed my self up this time. My doc is a good guy and very reasonable, I told him if he squeezed anything in that area we would be on the 10 o'clock news. He gave me 3 weeks of antibiotics, said when I was ready go ahead and pump it up. It took another week, I took the strongest pain med I could find in the cupboard. Street value probably a $ 50.00 pill. Entered a hot bath and give the new triplet a hard squeeze. Mr. Happy must of grown a whopping 1/4 of an inch. That's right, non of the monster meat I had read about on FT. No sir not for me, it seemed like what I had was a poor image of what I entered the operating room with. It has been about 5 weeks since I first pumped up. We have made a little progress but nothing to write home about. As far as the pain in activation, don't worry too much about it. As long as most of the soreness in gone you will do fine. In another week or two you will want to get brave. But leave the first time to the professional. I would have but it is a long drive for me to the doctors office and a day off work. Mr. Happy does feel like I have a 1/2 inch dowel pin stuck down each side. Nothing about it feels natural, especially the pump. I feel like I have a 13/16th spark plug socket sitting in my ball sack. Boys that's not too natural in my part of the country. Am I sorry I did this? Believe it or not, no not right now. Give it a few more months and I will have a better answer for ya. I lived with ED for the past 20 yrs. I can deal with this stick and socket there for a while. Sorry this is so long, but I needed to vent. LOL
73, Married to my childhood sweetheart, retired. Implant Dec 2014 Dr. Dean Knoll Nashville TN, RPS March 2014. Implant failure July 2017 Revision Oct 2017, First Implant AMS 700 LGX 19CM, Revision AMS 700 MS 21CM. Feel free to PM me anytime.

Return to “Implants”