Semiridgid VS Inflatable

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
PCHelp76180

Semiridgid VS Inflatable

Postby PCHelp76180 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:39 pm

Hello this is my first post to this forum. I am 52 MWM with testicular scar tissue and borderline Diabetes, I have been using Rx for ED since I was 38. I am very happy to have found this forum as it will provide me with a lot of incite of things to come in my near future. I have tried various methods of obtaining and sustaining an erection and am realizing they are now of very little use. I am weighing my next steps and would appreciate help with a few questions I need answered.
-Which implant is better the flexible rods or the inflation type?
-Do these implants prevent blood flow to the gland when aroused?
-Can anyone recommend a Urologist near Fort Worth TX that has good results and patient satisfaction?
ED since my late 30's. Implanted 7/7/15 Titan Coloplast 18cm +4 cm extenders. Revision Jan 2017

MrMoJoeRisin

Re: Semiridgid VS Inflatable

Postby MrMoJoeRisin » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:58 pm

Rods are old tech, and are largely not recommended as the penis is constantly rigid. You risk tissue erosion as a major area of concern. As I understand it, most surgeons do not recommend the flexible rods unless they believe you will have physicals issues being able to operate the pump in an inflatable system.

Best of luck to you!

No matter which way you decide to go, you are making a positive decision.
46, Type II Diabetic Progressive ED since 2005

dg_moore

Postby dg_moore » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:12 pm

MrMoJoeRisin wrote:Rods are old tech, and are largely not recommended as the penis is constantly rigid. You risk tissue erosion as a major area of concern. As I understand it, most surgeons do not recommend the flexible rods unless they believe you will have physicals issues being able to operate the pump in an inflatable system.

Best of luck to you!

No matter which way you decide to go, you are making a positive decision.

+1 - the inflatable is a much better option.
Dave, 80, Maryland - Implant (Titan) 2008 by Dr. Andrew Kramer (failed Sept 2020) - never used due to a stroke that, among other things, ended my sex life.
Life is not the way it's supposed to be, it's the way it is.

PCHelp76180

Postby PCHelp76180 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:16 pm

Thank you MrMoJoeRisin and dg_moore ! I have noticed there was a lot of communication on this forum regarding the rods. Just need to find a good surgeon in my area now.
ED since my late 30's. Implanted 7/7/15 Titan Coloplast 18cm +4 cm extenders. Revision Jan 2017

hebrewhammer

Postby hebrewhammer » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:38 pm

PCHelp76180 wrote:Thank you MrMoJoeRisin and dg_moore ! I have noticed there was a lot of communication on this forum regarding the rods. Just need to find a good surgeon in my area now.

As a quick aside, it is more important to look for a qualified surgeon in this than it is to stay local. I understand it can be a pain in the ass having to travel, especially for something like this, but, frankly, it's your cock. Go to a qualified surgeon that places a lot of these each year. :D

PCHelp76180

Postby PCHelp76180 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:53 pm

Thank you hebrewhammer, that thought had crossed my mind I was just unsure how I would make a flight back post-op. I guess I would have to stay in the area for at least a week until I am mobile again.

dg_moore

Postby dg_moore » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:14 pm

PCHelp76180 wrote:Thank you hebrewhammer, that thought had crossed my mind I was just unsure how I would make a flight back post-op. I guess I would have to stay in the area for at least a week until I am mobile again.

Maybe not that long. Many men are ready to travel within a day or two - it all depends on how your procedure goes. Recently, an FT member from Sweden flew back home from New York the day after surgery with no problems.
Dave, 80, Maryland - Implant (Titan) 2008 by Dr. Andrew Kramer (failed Sept 2020) - never used due to a stroke that, among other things, ended my sex life.
Life is not the way it's supposed to be, it's the way it is.

jeremc

Postby jeremc » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:35 pm

You don't not want a Simi Ridgid or even a two piece implant. It will be up to you wether you want an AMS or Coloplast. Do your homework, and read everything in the implant section and get in the chat room. I spent three months here before getting mine, and told my Uro where the incision and type of implant I wanted. IT IS your penis and you will have to live with it, so get as educated as you can. The guys here are very nice, and will help you as much as we can.

You still get blood flow to the glans, study the penis anatomy.

Here is a link of the Operating Room instructions http://www.amselabeling.com/assets/file ... tready.pdf

Ask guys that are very happy with their Uro's and you can call them and see if those Uro's can recommend one to you in Fort Worth or the Dallas area. All the good ones know each other.

Hope my 2 cents helps, and best of luck, Jere
Page 7, 1st LGX 18+3 on 12/27/2012. 2nd LGX 18+6 on 12/11/2014, 3ed CX 24+3 on 5/29/19. bionicjere on Skype

MrMoJoeRisin

Postby MrMoJoeRisin » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:39 pm

PCHelp76180 wrote:Thank you hebrewhammer, that thought had crossed my mind I was just unsure how I would make a flight back post-op. I guess I would have to stay in the area for at least a week until I am mobile again.

I was fortunate in that Dr Garber is about an hour away from my home. But as others have iterated, a well qualified surgeon is highly recommended. Don't take chances with your johnson! I left my other urologist not because he wasn't a great guy, but had only done a handful of these procedures.

Recovery times will vary. I have an extremely high pain threshold. I was able to drive myself the very next day to have my wound drain and catheter removed - a couple hours of driving round trip. But no matter your tolerance, trust me, you WILL feel it. Ice packs work wonders, and the occasional pain med when it gets a little chronic.

My experience with Dr Garber was very positive, no complications and I believe I've retained most of my length.

Again, best of luck.
46, Type II Diabetic Progressive ED since 2005

hebrewhammer

Postby hebrewhammer » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:59 pm

I can't guarantee how you would feel of course, but I could have easily gone home the next day. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it, but it would have been possible. I went out 24 hours after surgery and was just fine. It was 72 hours that was a bit of a nuisance. Food for thought. Basically I am echoing what dg_moore said.

In addition, the infra-pubic approach is associated with less post-operative pain, in general. If you can find a surgeon that does that, it reduces post op pain often. That said, your specific case may require another approach, and there have been many that have had minimal pain with the peno-scrotal approach as well.

Return to “Implants”