Surgery Postponed Indefinately

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
RickRed40

Surgery Postponed Indefinately

Postby RickRed40 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:59 am

Yesterday had all my pre-surgery tests completed with expectation I was having surgery on 1/16. Late in the afternoon I received all call from my Surgeon's office. They couldn't get a surgery suite for that date. Not only that, but they said they would TRY to get me in within the next 30 days so I won't have to retake all my pre-surgery testing. I've been though a lot of surgeries in my time and I've never been put off in this way. I get it, this is not a life threatening situation, but to not have the ability to schedule a surgery seems very odd to me. They said they would call me every Mon, Wed, & Thurs to let me know whether or not my surgery was in the following week of that phone call. This could go on for a month or more. Since I've had my pre surgery tests, I'm tempted to visit another treatment center, but UCSF is one of the best in the nation. So I'll probably wait and hope for a surgery date. Anyone else out there experience this type of delay?

dg_moore

Re: Surgery Postponed Indefinately

Postby dg_moore » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:25 pm

No, but waiting for the best rather than looking for someplace less than best sounds like a wise choice. It is certainly frustrating, though - good luck to you.
Dave, 80, Maryland - Implant (Titan) 2008 by Dr. Andrew Kramer (failed Sept 2020) - never used due to a stroke that, among other things, ended my sex life.
Life is not the way it's supposed to be, it's the way it is.

RickRed40

Postby RickRed40 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:50 pm

Thanks. Very wise advice. I'll wait for the best and deal with my impatience. I've waied 4 years. A few more weeks won't make much of a difference.

KMeister

Postby KMeister » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:03 pm

RickRed40 wrote:Yesterday had all my pre-surgery tests completed with expectation I was having surgery on 1/16. Late in the afternoon I received all call from my Surgeon's office. They couldn't get a surgery suite for that date. Not only that, but they said they would TRY to get me in within the next 30 days so I won't have to retake all my pre-surgery testing. I've been though a lot of surgeries in my time and I've never been put off in this way. I get it, this is not a life threatening situation, but to not have the ability to schedule a surgery seems very odd to me. They said they would call me every Mon, Wed, & Thurs to let me know whether or not my surgery was in the following week of that phone call. This could go on for a month or more. Since I've had my pre surgery tests, I'm tempted to visit another treatment center, but UCSF is one of the best in the nation. So I'll probably wait and hope for a surgery date. Anyone else out there experience this type of delay?

First time I've ever heard of this. Not a very good way to treat a patient/customer. I suppose at this point it would be best to wait until they call and tell you they've got a table for you. Keep us informed.

KMeister

upandhard

Postby upandhard » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:08 pm

Why don't you see if Dr. Karpman can see you sooner since you are in the San Francisco area. He is one of the best.

stringerbell

Postby stringerbell » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:08 pm

I still have read and believe the kramer/eid/perito are the highest 3 in the world, they seem to also have huge volumes and get guys done within 1-2 weeks (probably work in centers that allow for increased capacity since they're busy…). also as someone else mentioned, Dr. Karpman who is near you is top of the field, consider shopping around a bit, especially among guys who you know are great.

dg_moore

Postby dg_moore » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:57 pm

stringerbell wrote:I still have read and believe the kramer/eid/perito are the highest 3 in the world, they seem to also have huge volumes and get guys done within 1-2 weeks (probably work in centers that allow for increased capacity since they're busy…). also as someone else mentioned, Dr. Karpman who is near you is top of the field, consider shopping around a bit, especially among guys who you know are great.

When I finally decided to pull the trigger with Dr. Kramer, he was able to schedule me within 10 days of my call. Probably could have done it even sooner if it weren't for the pre-op physical and labs, etc.
Dave, 80, Maryland - Implant (Titan) 2008 by Dr. Andrew Kramer (failed Sept 2020) - never used due to a stroke that, among other things, ended my sex life.
Life is not the way it's supposed to be, it's the way it is.

JDavid

Postby JDavid » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:08 pm

Having had dealings with UCSF, it is my impression that neither doing anything quickly, or concerning themselves with the inconveniences their cumbersome system causes, are among their priorities.
I am sixty-six years of age and dealing with gradually worsening ED for twenty years. At sixty-three I wanted something that worked reliably. I got an AMS 700 LGX implant in 6/25/13. I am entirely pleased with the outcome. My surgeon was Dr. Karpman.

ED2013

Postby ED2013 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:03 am

JDavid wrote:Having had dealings with UCSF, it is my impression that neither doing anything quickly, or concerning themselves with the inconveniences their cumbersome system causes, are among their priorities.

I agree with you. I was seen there as well. Took months just to get an appt. Doc recommended surgery for venous leakage which he was very enthusiastic about. Only after my own research online, and with patients did I discover the low success rate.

RickRed40

Postby RickRed40 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:45 am

Before jumping ship I need to contact my surgeon and find out why I'm on a waiting list and what's going on that makes it impossible for me to get a surgery date. I know a they had to close one hospital. A new one is opening in Feb. in that process the Urology Department has relocated. This move may or may not have anything to do with their inability to set a surgery date. That said I have allmy pre surgery work complete and I could have it transferred to another practice. I'll look into both options if UCSF continues to be avasive as to why they won't set a surgery date.

Return to “Implants”