I'm starting to think about having "IT" done

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
stanri

I'm starting to think about having "IT" done

Postby stanri » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:33 pm

I will be 80 years old next week. lost my prostate 20 years ago to cancer. I'm cancer free but have ED. Tried all the pills, didn't work. Have used a vacuum pump, but for many reasons I hate it even though it produced a hard erection. Presently using injections, that work maybe half the time.

After reading all the comments both good and bad in this group about getting a implant I have decided to talk to my doctor about having it done. I see him on December 4th. I'm not too worried about the how I will react to the surgery and the recovery. My concern is my family and living alone. I do not plan to tell the family what I'm actually going into the hospital for...Instead tell them it's for a urology "plumbing" problem. My concern is my recovery at home after the surgery. I live alone and am a little concerned about recovering with no one to keep an eye on me just in case there are problems.

In spite of these fears, I want to talk to the doctor about having it done and my worries about living alone. Would appreciate some feed back...Am I worried when I really don't have too. Or am I simply too old to even think about having a implant??
age 80. Prostate removed (cancer) 20 years ago. ED resulted. 19+ years did nothing. Tried pills, vacuum pump (HATED IT), injections worked sometimes, but not dependable. Presently have a inflatable, worked the 1st year. Not working for me now.

LGX_Man

Re: I'm starting to think about having "IT" done

Postby LGX_Man » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:21 am

I honestly do not think that you would ever be too old for an implant. However, it is not easy to get around for the first few days and sometimes Ice needs to be applied to reduce swelling or pain meds need to be taken. Bed rest is often important after such a procedure. If you could find a friend or even someone here on FT who would be willing to join you and help you out, I'd recommend it. Also, doctors will usually not release you unless you have someone picking you up ... at least this is the case where I had mine done.

I had a friend who received a new implant and I flew to his city to spend a week with him. It was a very good decision as he was not nearly as strong as he thought he would be. Sometimes, you just need a helping hand.

LGX_Man
62. Retired. AMS 700 LGX implanted Nov. 18, 2013. Ask me any questions about being implanted or life afterwards.

sabaone

Re: I'm starting to think about having "IT" done

Postby sabaone » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:49 am

Stan,

Congratulations on your decision. I, who will be 75 in a few months and am in his first week of recovery,see no problem with your age. My Uro-surgeon told me he ha already placed an implant in a 82 year old fellow.

But I have to totally agree with the comments made by LGX_Man. I had my surgery on Thursday, a week ago, and I don't know what I would have done, and still do, without the aid of my wife. You can find my experiences in this forum under A rite of passage. You should get a friend or relative with whom you feel comfortable to be around during the day to help prepare meals, buy meds you may need, or find extra pillows for back support were you to want to sit.

Our bodies aren't as flexible as they were when we were even in our 50s, so things like squating to pick up something or get it from the fridge, taxes the stitches and other areas of trauma due to the operation.

Nonetheless, good luck on your adventure.

Sabaone
DOB:2/1940; 4 Oct 2011, date of Robotic surgery
Gleason 3+4=7
Cancer confined to one lobe, did not enter capsule

Return to “Implants”