My first visit

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
sabaone

My first visit

Postby sabaone » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:18 pm

Tomorrow morning I have an appointment with the urologist. I have never met him, although I have seen some of his interviews on local TV. He was recommended by the local Coloplast representative as the most experienced local implant urological surgeon in the area.
On TV he seems as if he knows his business: he specializes in sexual problem solutions such as spermatic issues, testicular cancer as well as implants. His personality, and will we “click?” That I’ll have to find out tomorrow. It has been pointed out by many forum members that that rapport of comfort seems to be a necessary component in the patient-doctor relationship.
I’m nervous and all this is is the initial consultation!
More after we meet.

Sabaone
DOB:2/1940; 4 Oct 2011, date of Robotic surgery
Gleason 3+4=7
Cancer confined to one lobe, did not enter capsule

yankfan042249

Re: My first visit

Postby yankfan042249 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:01 pm

Hi Sabaone

I was implanted on April 3 this year and my experience tells me that the most important consideration ( maybe 90% of your decision should be based on it) is the experience and technical expertise of the surgeon. You are not looking for a best friend , even a personal comfort level should come in second to the surgeons past record.

My surgeon, Dr Mellenger , from Mineola NY, was a great surgeon of few words. He always asked if I had questions, if not he went on to the next step without any hand holding. The result was an excellent result that has changed my life immeasurably. I am grateful for this man's talent and skill, not his personality or lack of.

A wonderful and gracious personality may hide a less than wonderful surgical record.

Good Luck !

sabaone

Re: My first visit

Postby sabaone » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:01 pm

Thank you yankfan042249. That's an important point to consider.
Sabaone
DOB:2/1940; 4 Oct 2011, date of Robotic surgery
Gleason 3+4=7
Cancer confined to one lobe, did not enter capsule

Return to “Implants”