Scheduled for October - wife worried

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
JamesG

Scheduled for October - wife worried

Postby JamesG » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:20 pm

I am now scheduled for an October implant. My wife is worried as she has been reading anesthesia can be bad for the patient's memory and possibly be contributory to early dementia. She cites many articles and supposedly my diminished memory and attention after I had surgery 3 years ago. Some of this is true but there were other factors going on.
It is well documented the sometimes bad and long term effects anesthesia has on some folks.
My argument is:
1. It may or may not happen.
2. I need and want the procedure.
3. The anesthesia is for a small amount of time.
She just wants me to ask my doctor about this and is there an alternate means of anesthesia. She is leaving it up to me.
Have any of you noticed this after you had your procedures?

lewisbl

Re: Scheduled for October - wife worried

Postby lewisbl » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:39 pm

JamesG,

I just went through it yesterday with no problems. The only problem I have is high blood pressure. It depends on your medical history. They will do all kind of tests and blood work to make sure you are ok.
AMS LGX 18 CM with 4 RTE Implanted SEPT 15, 2014 by DR Flatt. Failed SEPT 15, 2017
AMS CX 18 CM with 5 RTE revision NOV 27, 2017 by DR Flatt.

ValPinto

Postby ValPinto » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:22 pm

When I had mine done, I was given 2 options, I mention this because I was really worried about a general anesthetic. The discussion I had with Kramer (though he had nothing to do with it), was I was free to choose 1) a spinal or 2) a short general. Basically the spinal was fine with him, but a waste since the spinal lasts 4 hours where I can't move my legs and I'd have to stay overnight. But for 20 mins, I didn't need all that anesthesia time. So he recommended general since he's had the same guy for years and trusts him. Sounded like he was saying the spinal was good in the hands of people who take a couple hours to do the case, or for say a hip or knee replacement, things that take several hours. For 20 minutes of work we decided the general made sense, more fitting for the timeline.

spotya

Postby spotya » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:16 pm

Dear JamesG,
I had mine done on june 5th, with no problems at all to this day. I was constipated for a few days after surgery from all the drugs, so if you have problems with that I would tell doctor. Only regret is I didn't get it done years ago.
55 years old, ED for 10 years from diabetes. tried pills, injections, and pumps.
Implanted by Dr. Douglas Miliam on June 5th 2014 Thank God, should have done
it sooner.

gregorbehr

Postby gregorbehr » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:57 am

For better or worse, I've had over a dozen various surgeries the past few years. Everything from a 90 minute foot surgery to a 15 hour brain surgery... to the most recent 5 hour implant surgery.
How your body reacts (at least short term) to the anesthesia has a lot to do with your current state of health (which you don't mention). You can get a physical before hand, which never hurts anyway. Your surgeon and primary physician should be able to coordinate what, if any concerns they may have about your health and preform lab work to cover those concerns.
Having personally had 7 heart attacks and being diabetic, my primary physician already watches me like a hawk, and any surgeon I go near, understandably wants up to date lab work to make sure I'm in good health. But I always understand the risks, and know that "something" can go wrong at any time. Just like I know I can walk across the street and be hit by a bus or taxi. Living life has it's risks!

As for long term side effects of the anesthesia... well, it's a risk you have to decide upon for yourself. Do you put off a surgery you want for your life now, or worry about something that *may* manifest in 20 years from now?
Only you can answer that question for yourself. But speak to your doctors, educate yourself and be informed.
51, San Francisco
Diabetic: used pills & injections.
2 TURP surgeries caused Peyronie's. 1st implant lost to infection, 2nd one is about 5 years old. But "floppy head" due to all the scar tissue, couldn't get tips all the way up.

ready1

Postby ready1 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:58 pm

JamesG ..i would ten times rather have general Anesthesia than a spinail block..Tell your wife to research this Doctor..I think he has it right,,Dr. David Perlmutter

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... luten.aspx

P-fracture

Postby P-fracture » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:23 am

Your wife is on the right track; surgery is surgery. The anesthesia is always a big concern and risk regardless of the medical procedure. But probably a bigger concern is who is performing the implant surgery and who is the anesthesiologist. I just had the surgery done this month with Dr. Kramer and his team in Baltimore. If you are having it done there, then you are in good hands. I had general anesthesia (propofol) and came out from it as expected with only one common side effect (I vomited once). Be sure to share all the details about your experience years ago so they can adjust things for your specific case.
40s, Maryland, penile fracture, AMS 700 CX in Sep 2014, device failed; Coloplast Titan in Jun 2016, both with Dr. Kramer

Return to “Implants”