2nd implant, first update

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
gregorbehr

2nd implant, first update

Postby gregorbehr » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:33 am

8/25:
It's been 4 days since surgery and I'm still amazed by the difference between this surgery and the first one.
Since the first day home I've taken ONE oxycodone! Mainly I've stuck to ibuprofen and ice packs. The pubic area is tender (I'm assuming the saline reservoir is causing the discomfort), the shaft is tender, the incision site is of course very tender and sore. None of which I can't handle, though it is starting to wear me down a bit, as would any prolonged pain.

I've noticed what is causing the most pain is the pump. It is sitting VERY low in the scrotum and feels like it is poking out or else I'm sitting on it. I see the doc Tuesday and that will be the biggest issue to discuss. Hopefully it will just be a matter of pushing the pump up into the scrotum more often until it heals into place. But unlike last time, I don't feel as if it is wrapped around the testicle cords and I can actually feel the release valve. A world of difference from last time, where I was in the ER the day I released from the hospital and could barely walk because the pain was so bad. Even some of the swelling has begun to go down... though with no pubic hair I can see I REALLY have to loose some weight, cause I'm seeing more chunk than junk! LOL

After being released Friday we went to get breakfast while waiting on the pharmacy to fill the clearly unneeded oxy script. Saturday we went and got some shopping done (picked up a bottle of champagne to give to the surgeon next week at my first follow up appt) and today we went to get dim sum for lunch, took a drive around the coastal side of the city and stopped at a sporting goods store to look around a bit.

I'm beyond lucky at having a new partner to go through this experience with. ALL my friends who spent any time with me the last time warned him at how bad the recovery would be. At this point he thinks they were all being overly dramatic.
But he's been by my side the entire time. So even when you don't need it, its great to have someone there supporting you! If everything goes as planned, it's going to be one hell of a honeymoon in October! :twisted:

-Greg

3am and laying here in the hospital, bored! Trust me, I'm not complaining. I'd much rather be bored because the surgery went so well, than wide awake and in massive pain regretting the surgery, like I did last time.
Yes it still HURTS, but this time around I find I'm like, "oh... time for pain meds, cool". Where as last time I was in such massive pain, I was begging the nurse for a killer every 45 minutes, and ringing that buzzer endlessly if she was 1 second late.

I'm going to contribute this reduction in pain to the quality of the surgeon this time.

FIVE HOURS!!! That's how long it took him to do the surgery.
He methodically moved the cylinders into place, removing as much scar tissue as possible every few centimeters to make sure we avoided the "floppy head" syndrome. He was able to get the saline bladder into place without having to make a second incision and the pump is nicely settled in between its two older neighbors.
He didn't rush one step of the surgery and I'm hoping that will pay off in the end as a nicely operating implant.

Alas, I don't think he was able to make it longer and thicker as I had requested :)
But given that between the two TURP surgeries that caused peyronies and the botched first implant surgery, I had already lost well over an inch in length.... and I wasn't all that hung to begin with :cry:
So I may realistically end up between 4.5 to 5 inches in length. But hey... It will be a thick and rock hard 4.5 to 5 inches!!!

Now to get the nurse to take this catheter out.... And hopefully in 6 or 7 hours they will let me go home.
Last edited by gregorbehr on Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
51, San Francisco
Diabetic: used pills & injections.
2 TURP surgeries caused Peyronie's. 1st implant lost to infection, 2nd one is about 5 years old. But "floppy head" due to all the scar tissue, couldn't get tips all the way up.

rentguy

Re: 2nd implant is done!

Postby rentguy » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:48 am

Glad to hear things went much smoother for you this time.Take it easy and follow your Docs directions and you'll be up and around in no time.Take care and good luck with your recuperation!!
67 years old.Married 45 years to my gorgeous wife .Had ED for 22 years.Had AMS 700 CX implant on 7-17-14.New work done on 9-7-16 by Dr. Andrew Kramer.Kramer took out a CX 18cm plus 1 extender and replaced with LGX 21cm plus 3 extenders. :P

JDavid

Postby JDavid » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:18 pm

Greg, I remember your posting about your previous nightmare and am glad this is going smoothly.
I am sixty-six years of age and dealing with gradually worsening ED for twenty years. At sixty-three I wanted something that worked reliably. I got an AMS 700 LGX implant in 6/25/13. I am entirely pleased with the outcome. My surgeon was Dr. Karpman.

Bigtime071

Re: 2nd implant, first update

Postby Bigtime071 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:49 am

Hi gregorbehr I was wondering who did your first surgery and did the same guy do your second one and which implant did you choose the first and second time.

gregorbehr

Postby gregorbehr » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:38 am

rentguy wrote:Glad to hear things went much smoother for you this time.Take it easy and follow your Docs directions and you'll be up and around in no time.Take care and good luck with your recuperation!!

Thanks! Doing my best to leave it alone... but darn temping to play with it :)
51, San Francisco
2 TURP surgeries caused Peyronie's. 1st implant lost to infection, 2nd one is about 5 years old. But "floppy head" due to all the scar tissue, couldn't get tips all the way up.

gregorbehr

Postby gregorbehr » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:39 am

JDavid wrote:Greg, I remember your posting about your previous nightmare and am glad this is going smoothly.

Yeah, that was just the worst! Textbook failure from start to finish! Thanks for the well wishes.
51, San Francisco

gregorbehr

Re: 2nd implant, first update

Postby gregorbehr » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:46 am

Bigtime071 wrote:Hi gregorbehr I was wondering who did your first surgery and did the same guy do your second one and which implant did you choose the first and second time.

Dr. Brian Grady... AVOID for implants!

The second implant was done by Dr. Maurice Garcia at UC San Francisco Medical Center.
Address: 400 Parnassus Ave, San Francisco, CA 94143 Phone:(415) 353-2200 And I believe at the VA hospital in SF as well.
I cannot being to sing this man's praises enough! We spent over a year dealing with nerve pain from the first surgery, scar tissue that had calcified and was actually turning to bone and finally the implant. There may be others doing more surgeries, but I'll take personable, high quality work and a real concern for me, over a high volume surgeon any day.
51, San Francisco

Return to “Implants”