What to tell my employer & colleagues re the time off work?

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
zac white

Re: What to tell my employer & colleagues re the time off work?

Postby zac white » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:45 am

Would like to hear from some Aussies as to how they found their surgeons, what they thought of their procedures and after care, including infection rate? On this site I have read some very scary cases especially related to infection. I have had many different surgeries over the years for many different things but have never come across infection. With the nature of this op I would hope to get it right first time round . Any comments you can add that would shine a little light on how implant surgery (for me a AMS 700 LXG going in October 7) is taking place in Australia would be greatly appreciated. Only 5 weeks to go to surgery
Thanks Zac
47, Type 2 Diabetes, AMS 700 LGX - Brother since Oct 2014, Australia

zac white

Postby zac white » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:20 am

Now is the time to start telling family, friends and work that I am going in for surgery 1st week in October. With only 3 weeks to go I need to excuse myself from a whole range of activities and commitments with out concerning family etc that it is any thing too serious to concern themselves with and with the hernia excuse for the surgery I have suggested that the doc won't allow me to drive for 2 weeks so that should give me enough time to get through the first stage of recovery.

Just hope all goes well and no complications but if the need arises we are prepared to tell our grown sons but for now really don't think they need know rather see them happy and enjoying their folks mainting a very healthy relationship (at their age they don't really want to know if Mum & Dad are doing it but do like to know that we are very happy with life & love)

Does any one know if you can hire a cradle device to sit over the groin area in bed under the sheets, we have a small dog that has a habit of jumping in my lap for a cuddle in bed, even pre op it can sometimes make me jump, he is truly mans best friend but I am concerned about the stitches if you have a suggestion I would appreciate your comments.

Have any of you told your mates? And if so what was the reaction.? Joining a Bionic Brotherhood is an amazing thought but would our non bionic brothers be pissed off at our potential staying power etc,etc Just a thought!!! :mrgreen:

proactive

Postby proactive » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:38 pm

I would just go with a pillow. I had the same issue with Cats. For the most part the first few weeks I wedged myself into the couch and put a folded pillow between my knees to keep my legs apart. Since I am a belly sleeper I was miserable for a few weeks due to not being able sleep well. It was about 8 - 10 weeks before I could sleep on my stomach again. By the time I got back in the bed I would use a pillow or a folded blanket over my groin if I was worried about the cats possibly jumping on me when they were playing or standing on me wanting to be pet. It seems that they have a knack for stepping on the spot that hurts the most. LOL
50 yr old. 21cm Titan implanted on June 20th 2013

zac white

Postby zac white » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:55 am

Thanks will need more than a pillow but will take your advice but will have to come up with something stronger even though he is only a small dog he weighs a ton when he runs in to the bedroom and lands right in the crutch even now pre op He still causes me to jump. That's mans best friend for you!!
As for the sleeping I too am a stomach sleeper so not looking forward to being on my back but I will just have to brave up its that or the pain that I imagine would come with lying on the package while it is recovering. Ouch!!! :o
Fun times ahead have to keep a great sense of humor :lol:
It all starts on the 7th Oct
Zac

3rd-Nut

Postby 3rd-Nut » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:51 pm

I don't think it is anyone's business but you and your wife's. I am retired and wife is still working. Our children do not live nearby. So it was easy for me to slip away to the airport and catch a plane to have the implant done a few states away by a Dr, that was recommended highly by several other guys. I was gone for about 4 days and no one was the wiser. I had it done early in Dec. so was feeling fine when all the families and grandkids came home for Christmas. I did have to be careful with little ones jumping in my lap, though. The wife and I never said a word to our kids. I certainly was not going to announce it to anyone. I did not want any of the ladies in church staring at my crotch. Although there is a bigger bulge there than be before. There was very little pain or swelling and results are great and wife and I are very happy with it. I wish I would have done it within a year or two of prostate surgery.
If you have to say anything, I guess a hernia will do fine.
PC 2006, AMS 700 LGX implanted 18+3, 2012, Dr. Paolone in Madison, WI- Married 47 yrs.

zac white

Postby zac white » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:54 am

Sounds like you had a very speedy recovery, I agree it is no ones business beside my wife & I the hernia bit is more to take away the concern that family & friends will have with me taking off time from work and having surgery so we thought a hernia while not too drastic is in the right spot and will require being careful for a while not overdoing it.
Just hope to hell I can pull out of it as well as you seem to have Congrats on the heeling

zac white

Postby zac white » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:53 am

A little last minute shopping today with only 6 days to surgery and my new AMS700LGX I had to follow up on a couple of things that I still had concerns about
First I needed protection from our dog who always greets me in the morning by jumping on me, usually the crutch area while he is only 5 kg he packs a wallop landing on all 4's and if not him then the smaller grandchildren who love to pony ride on gramps stomach. With out making it too obvious I purchased a $12 AUD bed tray with folding legs just perfect to place under the covers as a massive protecter and has plenty of room for me to move around with out hitting anything namely the old fella. Extra benefit for meal times you can place it on top of the covers while you dine from it.
Second purchase was from the local pharmacy for $15 AUD I got a male urine bottle like they have in the hospital. So many of the post have mentioned the difficulty in pissing in a strait line or being able to bend their pecker to hit the bowl so as to save the floors and walls $15 seem like a good deal :oops:
What did you find useful to get you through the swollen stage when all is not as it usually is.
Any inventions or suggestions are most welcome

dg_moore

Postby dg_moore » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:22 pm

The urinal is not a bad idea for the first few days. Otherwise, I just used Tylenol (acetaminophen) and ice packs - did the trick for me.
Dave, 80, Maryland - Implant (Titan) 2008 by Dr. Andrew Kramer (failed Sept 2020) - never used due to a stroke that, among other things, ended my sex life.
Life is not the way it's supposed to be, it's the way it is.

3rd-Nut

Postby 3rd-Nut » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:30 pm

I used a good jock strap to help hold things together so the junk didn't move around too much. Those first days after surgery are fading as my nice bionic friend seems so natural now.
PC 2006, AMS 700 LGX implanted 18+3, 2012, Dr. Paolone in Madison, WI- Married 47 yrs.

zac white

Postby zac white » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:13 pm

I won't see my doctor until Tuesday day of surgery to ask, will I still be bandaged when I leave the hospital the following day, should I get a jock pouch to take to hospital? Is there a jock that you would recommend, should it be firm or loose?
Thanks
Zac

Return to “Implants”