Reason I went for AMS implants

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
ronbstewart

Reason I went for AMS implants

Postby ronbstewart » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:02 pm

I have read a lot of suggestions and comment on which product is best AMS or Coloplast. Never quite got and answer that gave me a good reason to pick one over the other. Had a duel implant 4/1/14 and so far so good. I went with my Dr's suggestion of AMS because both implants (AMS 700 and AMS 800) are made by the same company and also the fact my Dr has had outstanding success with AMS. Had prostate removal for cancer 2 years ago, but urine control and ED was and ongoing issue that wasn't going to correct it self. I am 74, USAF retired and had my procedure done at Wright Patterson AFB, OH.

billylee

Re: Reason I went for AMS implants

Postby billylee » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:55 pm

Ron,
I think your reason was the best and most important.....it was what the surgeon suggested. I, like others, read on the Internet pro/cons of devices and perhaps set in our mind (I know I did) what WE think best for ourselves. Is that not ridiculous, so much invested in money and research for a particular surgeon yet we think we know what device is best. Don't get me wrong I think it important to know about each and perhaps have a preference if asked(and i would prefer a surgeon who does both thus not be product company influenced). I am guilty, I thought I wanted the AMS-LGX, but found surgeon, who does both, recommended the Coloplast. He had his reasons per my case, and when he found out that I had reservations about his choice, offered to use AMS. But in the final decision, I thought of the reason I chose this surgeon, skill and numbers, so I let his expertise dominate my choice.
Hope all continues to go well for you.
billy
72, ED & PE worsened with age, TURP 2008, Prostrate 1.71, T-559,
Coloplast Titan OTR 21 cm (20+1 cm rear tip extender) on 3/11/2014 by Dr. Allan Morey UT-SW Medical/Dallas

ronbstewart

Postby ronbstewart » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:10 pm

billylee
I am now 4 days post op and no real after surgery pain, it's more of what I would call discomfort. My implant was the AMS 700 LGX. During surgery Dr pumped it up to 60% my wife (30 yrs younger then me) smiled from ear to ear. Before I left the hospital he deflated it down to 40%, I could swear I heard her go "Ahaaaa crap" but no matter what it's still bigger than a peanut. My little willie can't recall ever being up this long which is part of the discomfort, other discomfort issues are my old condom catheters are now a bit small and tight I need to move up to the "big boy" size and the nice athletic supporter "Bike" they gave me to hold everything in place and up straight is also trying to assume the task of squeezing my 37" waist down 27 inches. Feels like I'm constantly being hugged by a short fat lady. I've also decided to have notice and date of the implants tattooed on my lower stomach describing which is on the left and right. My Dr an AF Lt Col. also thought that would be good info in an emergency, but requested I not put his initals down there. Thanks for your reply.

billylee

Postby billylee » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:21 pm

I know your feeling about size. I raaize even with some inflation I am small by some standards but sure beats looking down at the peanut I often saw before. Now my size has hardly fluctuated a 1/4" since I got home. Hopefully full deflation will not disappoint me, bet it beats the peanut anyway. b
72, ED & PE worsened with age, TURP 2008, Prostrate 1.71, T-559,
Coloplast Titan OTR 21 cm (20+1 cm rear tip extender) on 3/11/2014 by Dr. Allan Morey UT-SW Medical/Dallas

rlm1818

Postby rlm1818 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:26 am

ronbstewart wrote:I have read a lot of suggestions and comment on which product is best AMS or Coloplast. Never quite got and answer that gave me a good reason to pick one over the other.

There are lots of guys in this forum very happy with the AMS LGX. Also lot of guys very happy with the Coloplast Titan. There are fewer guys with the AMS CX, but almost all those guys very happy too. And, a few with each of these who are not happy. I think in a few cases there may be a good reason to pick one device over the other, but most of the time, I'm convinced it really doesn't matter that much. In my case, I'm totally convinced that I'd be equally happy at this point regardless of which device I had, provided it was placed with the same skill. I think choice of surgeon, and probably random luck, has much more to do with ultimate satisfaction than the device selection (apart from those few cases where it might make a difference).

Like billylee, I started out thinking I wanted the LGX and ended up with a Titan. I visited several surgeons, and the one I was most comfortable with recommended the Titan, so that's what I went with. I would think the logical choices are 1) pick the surgeon you are comfortable with and 2) accept whatever he recommends.
22cm Coloplast Titan OTR implanted Feb 2012 by Dr Francois Eid in NYC.
Initial implant experience here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1308

ronbstewart

Postby ronbstewart » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:53 pm

Your comments are so very true. Had the AMS not been available I would have went the Coloplast and thought no more about it. All in all you select a Dr you trust and respect after conversation him or her, who answers all your questions without giving you the impression "that was a dumb question or I really don't know the answer to your question" and from that point either device should work fine if installed properly and instructions followed correctly.

Return to “Implants”