You're Having What?

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
2451cs

You're Having What?

Postby 2451cs » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:54 pm

Scheduled for implant in April for ED due to prostate cancer surgery.
What did you tell people who, when they heard you were having surgery, asked what your surgery was for?
Radical Prostatectomy Aug 1999 (age 48); Implant AMS 700 CX, Apr 2014, Dr. Brock, London, Ontario

stanri1

Re: You're Having What?

Postby stanri1 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:29 pm

2451cs wrote:Scheduled for implant in April for ED due to prostate cancer surgery.
What did you tell people who, when they heard you were having surgery, asked what your surgery was for?

I would be tempted to tell them "none of your dam business." When I had my surgery (removed the prostate), if asked I simply said surgery due to cancer of the prostate. If still asked, my reply would be "I would rather not talk about it." No need to mention the implant, none of their %^&*( business.
79 years old. East Providence Rhode Island. Prostate cancer 20 years ago. ED for the next 19 years. Presently using injections with 90-95% success. Mostly straight, but not always. SKYPE: stanri1 Best time after 8pm Eastern

JerGeezer

Postby JerGeezer » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:29 pm

I told everybody I was having hernia surgery.
I'm 75 and got an AMS Ultrex in 1995. Had it replaced in 1999. Got a new AMS 700 LGX in 2013.

dennov

Postby dennov » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:29 pm

Same here, hernia surgery!
61 year old with a 23 cm Titan.

billylee

Postby billylee » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:22 pm

I have thought about "repairs from TURP surgery of 2008" and/or "urethra repair". i live in an area it is hard for a "secret" to stay a secret. It may finially hit facebook that I have a "mechanical dick".......actually I think that would be more embarrassment to wife than me. We'll see.
Last edited by billylee on Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
72, ED & PE worsened with age, TURP 2008, Prostrate 1.71, T-559,
Coloplast Titan OTR 21 cm (20+1 cm rear tip extender) on 3/11/2014 by Dr. Allan Morey UT-SW Medical/Dallas

Gfnin1

Postby Gfnin1 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:31 pm

I've told my close friends but not my acquaintances. It is none of their business really... That said. I think we guys are too secretive and not putting the information out there hurts other men who are struggling with ED and don't know where to go. I knew about the implant thing a year and a half ago and decided not to act back then because I did not have the correct information to make an intelligent decision. So guys, I urge you to talk to people, share what you know. Everyone thinks prostate cancer is no big deal... well for me it turned out to be a big deal. This is why there are millions of women out there with breast implants and only relatively small number of men with a penile implant. I lost my ability to perform sexually and to ejaculate... I would say that was a big deal.

If this was a woman's group talking about breast implant we'd be telling everyone and all the other women would be egging you on and cheering for you...

just my 2 cents...

Gfnin1

Postby Gfnin1 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:33 pm

I've told my close friends but not my acquaintances. It is none of their business really... That said. I think we guys are too secretive and not putting the information out there hurts other men who are struggling with ED and don't know where to go. I knew about the implant thing a year and a half ago and decided not to act back then because I did not have the correct information to make an intelligent decision. So guys, I urge you to talk to people, share what you know. Everyone thinks prostate cancer is no big deal... well for me it turned out to be a big deal. This is why there are millions of women out there with breast implants and only relatively small number of men with a penile implant. I lost my ability to perform sexually and to ejaculate... I would say that was a big deal.

If this was a woman's group talking about breast implant we'd be telling everyone and all the other women would be egging you on and cheering for you...

just my 2 cents...

hard drive

Postby hard drive » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:03 pm

I told my Father, my Mother, and my wife. Everyone else who asked me, I told them "it's rather personal, and I don't want to discuss it".
harddrive

CharlestonRealtor

Postby CharlestonRealtor » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:38 pm

I actually had Hernia surgery 6 weeks before my implant so I couldn't use it again. I used the "urethra repair" and only told a very few people. I have a feeling that once i have fully recovered I will become a little more at ease about telling the truth. Getting rid of the stigma could help a lot of people and I have noithing to be ashamed of.

RugbyDave

Postby RugbyDave » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:41 am

Gfnin - My sentiments exactly.

Talking to someone or knowing it wasn't just me might have helped me come to my decision so much earlier.

Knowledge is power!!

Dave

Gfnin1 wrote:I've told my close friends but not my acquaintances. It is none of their business really... That said. I think we guys are too secretive and not putting the information out there hurts other men who are struggling with ED and don't know where to go. I knew about the implant thing a year and a half ago and decided not to act back then because I did not have the correct information to make an intelligent decision. So guys, I urge you to talk to people, share what you know. Everyone thinks prostate cancer is no big deal... well for me it turned out to be a big deal. This is why there are millions of women out there with breast implants and only relatively small number of men with a penile implant. I lost my ability to perform sexually and to ejaculate... I would say that was a big deal.

just my 2 cents...
Diagnosed at 49 with PC - Biopsy Gleason 3+4=7
Radical Prostatectomy 14/07/08 - PSA now undetectable
ED since op
Implanted with AMS 700LGX - 26/07/13 @ UCLH London
http://rugbydave.blogspot.co.uk

Return to “Implants”