trying to decide which way to go

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Gfnin1

trying to decide which way to go

Postby Gfnin1 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:01 am

So, my uro tells me I am an excellent candidate for an implant and I spent over six months thinking about weather or not I was ready to give up on the idea that my dick may eventually come out of its coma. But the reality of my situation is that it’s been three years since my surgery and three years since I had sex last and I think it is as good as it’s going to get.

My research has led me to a three part implant and a choice of a doctor that will implant me from underneath by dissecting my penis and installing the AMS700 implant of a doctor that will open a one inch slit from above the penis and implant the same AMS700. To me it, looking at the videos of the operation it seems like the incision above the penis method is less invasive than the incision below the penis where they remove a section of scrotum and open (dissect) the penis to install the implant.

Also the doctor that performs the traditional below the penis implant does about one a month for a lifetime total of 120 +/- implants. The doctor who does the above the penis implant … has done many more implants in his clinic.
http://www.elcaminourology.com/penile_p ... plant.html

I’m thinking that the above the penis surgery is the one for me but was wondering if there are any people in this frank’s talk that have experienced the surgery.

PhxDave

Re: trying to decide which way to go

Postby PhxDave » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:06 pm

I just had an implant by the intra-pubic, above the penis, method. Dr claimed it was better for faster recovery and fewer complications. So far he appears to be correct, pain mostly gone and swelling was minimal from the start.
All else being equal, experience should be the deciding factor.

ED2013

Postby ED2013 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:34 pm

I had my implant done by Dr Karpman myself. I highly recommend him.

billylee

Postby billylee » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:47 pm

My local uro was the one who recommended the implant for me, and I am sure he probably thought he would get to do the surgery, however the more I thought about it, his 12-15 a year at the local (fairly rural) hospital just did not set well with me. He offered a recommendation of a uro in Dallas area who I called, and he did around 50 a year but after continued research I decided that I would feel better with a surgeon much more dedicated to IPPs. I ended up choosing Dr. Allen Morey at SW Med in Dallas who is dedicated to PI and the correcting of PIs done by more inexperienced PI surgeons and he does 100-200 per year & 3-4 weekly. Because of scheduled trip in late Feb I am up for March 11th surgery.

I, too, was hoping maybe for pubic approach, but that was not not what Morey suggested so I would not argue with his approach. I have mixed feelings about the pubic, wondering if perhaps the incision cuts through more, thicker tissue/muscle, but this is just mostly my theory. I can see the scrotum area getting for more swollen and uncomfortable, however the thin tissue perhaps heals quickly. Perhaps many surgeons, including Morey, still do scrotum approach because they do not want to step off into learning the newer pubic approach. I believe the insertion of tubes is a little different in each approach. Probably pro/cons to both.

Good luck,

billy
72, ED & PE worsened with age, TURP 2008, Prostrate 1.71, T-559,
Coloplast Titan OTR 21 cm (20+1 cm rear tip extender) on 3/11/2014 by Dr. Allan Morey UT-SW Medical/Dallas

Gfnin1

Postby Gfnin1 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:50 pm

Yes… for me, an untrained person, looking at the videos available in you tube detailing both procedures, the slit on top seems less invasive than the below the penis shaft method… not to mention that they remove a section of the scrotum and add a third “ball” hmm… don’t know about that.

Going to Dr. Karpman presents some additional challenges that I would not have to deal with if I opt to do it locally, like travel to a far away city, too far to commute and lodging in a hotel while recovering…

Still , it seems to me like someone who does many of these procedure annually will be better prepared to deal with complications and will/may be more aggressive in installing the correct size implant. The local doctor may by more conservative as what size implant to use. I’ve already lost length from the prostate surgery… don’t feel like I can afford to loose any more of what I currently have…

p1s8d2

Postby p1s8d2 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:07 am

For what it is worth, I chose my Uro based on his overall work in ED as a speciality. My doctor (Dr. Arthur Burnett from Johns Hopkins) does about 75 IPP's a year, but he is a scientist and researcher in the field of ED. He is not a jack of all trades urologist. I leave my low testosterone treatment for that guy.

As far as the incision approach, I had the scrotal procedure. In speaking with my Dr. he explained that what ever incision is carried out should be based on the specific needs of the patient. I am just about four weeks post op and my incision is almost completely blended back into the natural folds and creases of my scrotum.

I am more than pleased thus far with my IPP and I believe that any man that struggles with this awful condition should consider it.

Good luck with your journey.
40 years old from the East Coast
ED since my 20's and have no idea what caused it
Implanted on 11/19/13 with the AMS 700 LGX via John Hopkins Urology

wolfimplant

Postby wolfimplant » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:54 pm

I had mine 5 days ago with the scrotal approach, have zero pain, never had any real pain, and my urn
concentrates on quality, not quantity.
Not a mistake to be super experienced with many such procedures, but this procedure is considered to be rather basic.
Most important is the uro's concern for infection and steps to avoid such in the first place.
Overnight stay in hospital seems important to my urn, as you are on IV antibiotics.

Also, think of patients with hernia surgery in the past, then the method becomes less of a choice other than scrotal.
I see him Tuesday, just a week after surgery, and he will start the cycling.
AMS LGX Implant Dec. 9th, 2013

ED2013

Postby ED2013 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:26 pm

Gfnin1 wrote:Yes… for me, an untrained person, looking at the videos available in you tube detailing both procedures, the slit on top seems less invasive than the below the penis shaft method… not to mention that they remove a section of the scrotum and add a third “ball” hmm… don’t know about that.

Going to Dr. Karpman presents some additional challenges that I would not have to deal with if I opt to do it locally, like travel to a far away city, too far to commute and lodging in a hotel while recovering…

Still , it seems to me like someone who does many of these procedure annually will be better prepared to deal with complications and will/may be more aggressive in installing the correct size implant. The local doctor may by more conservative as what size implant to use. I’ve already lost length from the prostate surgery… don’t feel like I can afford to loose any more of what I currently have…

I was able to drive myself home the next day after surgery. Pain, swelling and bruising was very minimal. I was cycling my implant at one week and was cleared for intercourse at 3 weeks. I lost no size at all and I'm gaining girth.

Gfnin1

Postby Gfnin1 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:41 pm

wolfimplant wrote: my uro concentrates on quality, not quantity.
Not a mistake to be super experienced with many such procedures, but this procedure is considered to be rather basic.
Most important is the uro's concern for infection and steps to avoid such in the first place.

I hear what you are saying, infection is an important concert to me too. Thank you for your response.

JDavid

Postby JDavid » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:56 am

I will echo what Ed2013 wrote. I too had my surgery done by Dr. Karpman (El Camino Urology) and drove my self home the next day, was inflating the implant at one week, and was cleared for intercourse at three weeks. He does a great job and is a great guy.
I am sixty-six years of age and dealing with gradually worsening ED for twenty years. At sixty-three I wanted something that worked reliably. I got an AMS 700 LGX implant in 6/25/13. I am entirely pleased with the outcome. My surgeon was Dr. Karpman.

Return to “Implants”