Time For a New Implant

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
JerGeezer

Time For a New Implant

Postby JerGeezer » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:11 pm

My third implant is scheduled for this coming Monday. I sure hope it goes as easy as the first two and that I'm able to come home on the same day. Both of the first two implants were the AMS Ultrex and this new one will be the AMS 700 LGX. Sure hope Lady Luck is with me!
I'm 75 and got an AMS Ultrex in 1995. Had it replaced in 1999. Got a new AMS 700 LGX in 2013.

soonerforever

Re: Time For a New Implant

Postby soonerforever » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:55 am

As a proud new owner of an AMS 700 LGX (5 days) I sure hope that the new implants are due to you wearing them out rather than product or surgical malfunction.

Edit: just reread your signature line.....still would hope better longevity (at least 20 years per)...I'm 55 now....wouldn't like facing possibly 2-3 more re-implant surgeries.
AMS 700 LGX
Implanted 11/25/13
Dr. Lipschultz
55 y/o
ED 20 years/Peyronies/Leaky valve

JerGeezer

Postby JerGeezer » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:27 pm

I used the first one so often that I'm sure I wore it out. The second one got much less use and lasted considerably longer. After fourteen years of improvements in implants since getting this second one, I'm reasonably sure this next one will outlast me.
I'm 75 and got an AMS Ultrex in 1995. Had it replaced in 1999. Got a new AMS 700 LGX in 2013.

JerGeezer

Postby JerGeezer » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:55 pm

Got to the hospital about 15 minutes before the scheduled 5 am time. They drew blood and did all the other necessary prepping and both the anesthesiologist and urologist did their usual pre-surgery interviews. The IV was inserted and I was in that "hazy" state of mind, just waiting to be taken into the operating room. About 15 minutes past the scheduled surgery time, a nurse stopped by to tell me there was a problem. Oh oh. About a half-hour later another nurse stopped by to say the new implant had not arrived and the surgery was cancelled for now. They even checked with other local hospitals and none of them had the AMS 700 LGX, either.

I'm sure you know the thoughts going through my mind when she said that. I'm still in that state of mind, too, but must let it go as just another one of those unfortunate things that happens with life. You know... sh*t happens.

I awoke this morning figuring it would be over by now. Every nurse who took care of me was very professional and as nice as could be. Edit: I just learned that the AMS rep brought the wrong version, so he or she is responsible for making me go through this. I hope the rep gets more than just a slap on the hand.

Bet your day is better than mine!

rlm1818

Postby rlm1818 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:09 pm

Hi JerGeezer,

I'm appalled by this story. On two counts at least. First the AMS rep should be fired for incompetence. And I hope AMS covers whatever expense was incurred while you were prepped. But second, I simply don't understand why there isn't ALWAYS a selection of models and sizes available EVERY time there is a surgery? What if during surgery, the surgeon decides there is an issue with the tissue of the cavernosa and decides you should have, for example, a CX instead of an LGX. I've read about this happening. Or there's enough scar tissue encountered that they decide you need a CXM instead? Or that the measurements are different from what they were expecting? Finally, if you are going to be dependent on some rep showing up with the right stuff, why shouldn't he be there far enough in advance (eg a day or two before) so everyone knows the right stuff is on hand? What if he's delayed by weather, or in an auto accident, or whatever?

I know my surgeon boasts that every time they do a surgery they have a complete inventory of sizes, makes and models "just in case". Why should anyone ever be dependent on some rep having just the right something or another on hand at the last minute?
22cm Coloplast Titan OTR implanted Feb 2012 by Dr Francois Eid in NYC.
Initial implant experience here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1308

JerGeezer

Postby JerGeezer » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:04 pm

All excellent questions, rlm1818.

Thank you for commenting on my experience.

JerGeezer

Postby JerGeezer » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:09 pm

I've read that guys here are interested in reading of each other's experiences and helping where it seems to be needed, but I gotta say that after over a week with only one of you commenting on my horrible experience is depressing as hell. Did AMS screw up? You bet it did. Did my hospital screw up? Same answer. I'm not asking for sympathy or anything of the sort, but 190 views and only one person even comments on this horrible experience? I hope none of you goes through this. On the other hand, part of me hopes you do so you can see what it's like.

billylee

Postby billylee » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:42 pm

JerG,
I suspect many, like me, read your account of such a horrible experience (s) with awe, and with almost a speachless feeling. Those such as I who are waiting for surgery, or perhaps those who are just thinking about having an IPP, should crench of the thought of such an incident, however it is the real truth, and I/we should fully understand the possibility. I will be one, and I suggest there are many, who await with hopes for you of a completion for a correct "fix", sparing you of even a hint of the suffering that you have already experience over a decade and a half.
billy
72, ED & PE worsened with age, TURP 2008, Prostrate 1.71, T-559,
Coloplast Titan OTR 21 cm (20+1 cm rear tip extender) on 3/11/2014 by Dr. Allan Morey UT-SW Medical/Dallas

trucxrule

Postby trucxrule » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:47 pm

Good evening ,

I'm actually BPS ( Brotherhood of Prick stickers ) but I too am interested in reading about folks various treatment options and I'd like to say the following: if it were me I would be very concerned about the competence of this group . If it can have an oversight of this proportion what else may go unnoticed ? Just as with anything in life once a business gets too large and/ or too busy mistakes get made. There is no room for error when dealing with human life and non reversible procedures. My injections work fine but I still might find myself one day needing another option and this really gives me pause. I do empathize with your situation and pray this will be resolved to your satisfaction. It seems many if not most here have good results both in implanting and in the device itself. That is a good thing. Best of luck going forward.

Trucxrule -

JerGeezer

Postby JerGeezer » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:46 pm

Well, guys, after the screw-up a couple weeks ago, I go in for another try at this tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Return to “Implants”