Successful Implant by Dr Karpman - Up and at it in 3 weeks

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
spreadseller

Successful Implant by Dr Karpman - Up and at it in 3 weeks

Postby spreadseller » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:08 pm

my implant experience 10/25/2013

My E.D. difficulties started some 15 years ago when I noticed a bend in my erections. Over the next 18 months the bend increased enough for me to discuss it with my local urologist who advised taking Vitamin E daily and said as long as I was able to have sex enjoyably just do nothing else as the treatment alternatives were not going to improve things overall.

In 2000 I was diagnosed and treated for prostate cancer and the bend became unimportant. I chose High Dose Radiation in four fractions over 8 days, followed by 29, once a week, low dose External Beam Radiation sessions. Sex was still possible but over time the firmness of erections declined to an unworkable level.

On September 24, 2013 Dr. Edward Karpman ( El Camino Urology Group Los Gatos, CA http://www.elcaminourology.com/penile_p ... plant.html ) implanted an AMS 700 MS CX 3 piece system in my penis using his infrapubic protocol. I chose Dr. Karpman because of his extensive implant experience, 70+ per year, and the videos of the operation on his web site which explained the procedure perfectly. I spent the night in the hospital and drove myself home the following day – a 3.5 hour drive which I accomplished with no difficulty.

A followup appointment one week later confirmed successful placement, healing etc and I began self inflation of the device that day with a minimum target of two complete up/down cycles per day.

I returned to work, which requires continuous walking plus lifting 10-40 lb boxes for several hours a day,10 days after the surgery. Although I had been given prescription pain medication, the level of pain was so low that I used only two to three Ibuprofen tablets post surgery and did not really need them at all after the first few days at home.

I was cleared to have sex after three weeks of healing and the results have exceeded my wife's and my expectations.

In summarry the discomfort was trivial, the results better than expected and I wish I had decided to do this sooner.
So far, the only real challenge was mastering the operation of the pump without thumb slippage; pretty terrific overall results.
Hope this helps someone make their decision.

Thanks

Bill
Implanted with AMS 700 by Dr. Karpman (Los Gatos,CA) on 9/24/2013..up and at it in three weeks

Epsilon

Re: Successful Implant by Dr Karpman - Up and at it in 3 weeks

Postby Epsilon » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:20 pm

Your report has been very helpful. Thanks. If possible though, I have some questions. Would it be possible to meet at a specified time in the chatroom..................or perhaps via text messaging. If you're comfortable posting a phone number, would be glad to give you a call.
Ep

Bionic_by_AMS

Postby Bionic_by_AMS » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:49 pm

Bill,
Congrats! ... welcome to the Brotherhood ...

As for the thumb slipping ... try placing your other hand on the pump block ... just to hold it still. Once the pumping gets easier ... yes the cylinders will stretch a little, thus making pumping easier, you won't really need both hands. Enjoy!
Robotic Prostrate surgery - Dec. 2011 - AMS 700 LGX Implant - 21 cm/3 cm RTE - June 2012

newly1

Postby newly1 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:11 pm

thanks alot, im having mine on 11-4, guys like you make the worry less. my email is okiedokie9876@gmail.com if you think of any word of wisdom. im going in 10am in the morniong and will go home in 23hours. my insuance calls that out patient. Thanks again!

jryancey44

Postby jryancey44 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:03 pm

I am trying to decide right now between the coloplast Titian and the ams 700 anyone have any advice?

Jim

spreadseller

Postby spreadseller » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:34 pm

I think its a Ford - Chevrolet situation; both ok with small differences.
I got the AMS 700 because my Dr preferred it - He said the cylinders were more flexible and plyable and therefor more comfortable after implant.

I don't know if exclusive use by a Dr gets a discount form the Manufacturer, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Pretty hard to compare them unless you have had each of them implanted and then can review your notes :>).

I'd let the Dr decide.

Best

Bill
Implanted with AMS 700 by Dr. Karpman (Los Gatos,CA) on 9/24/2013..up and at it in three weeks

Dave92014

Postby Dave92014 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:11 pm

My doc uses both the Titan and the AMS. He said he makes the decision based on the diameter of the penis and the shape of the scrotum. He said sometimes an AMS fits into the scrotum better and sometimes the Titan does. I think the diameter determination is that he does Titan if the diameter is larger. He did not say how large would be his decision point. He did say that both the Titan reps and the AMS reps are trying to get him to exclusively use their product but he sticks with his policy of choosing which is best for the patient.

It does seem that guys have been happy with the Titan and happy with the AMS so you won't go far wrong with either.

Dave
Implant surgery by Dr. John Greisman 10/31/2012 - Installed AMS CX700

ED2013

Postby ED2013 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:01 pm

I had an ams lgx installed by Dr Karpman. My story mirrors yours. I'm up and running after 3 weeks.

JDavid

Postby JDavid » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:04 pm

He is my surgeon too and I am completely happy about everything!
I am sixty-six years of age and dealing with gradually worsening ED for twenty years. At sixty-three I wanted something that worked reliably. I got an AMS 700 LGX implant in 6/25/13. I am entirely pleased with the outcome. My surgeon was Dr. Karpman.

skk1939

Postby skk1939 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:03 pm

ED2013 wrote:I had an ams lgx installed by Dr Karpman. My story mirrors yours. I'm up and running after 3 weeks.

Can you address the whole length thing before and after with the LGX? I have only had prelim discussions with my Urologist in Charlotte. He said he *can* do both, but he prefers the Titan. He said the AMS felt "flimsy" to him. Of course, I don't want to lose size if(more likely when) I do the implant, and the AMS seems a bit more f=geared to deal with that. How did it go for you guys?

-Scott

Return to “Implants”