Newbie advice on a penile implant

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
peteh01

Newbie advice on a penile implant

Postby peteh01 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:02 pm

Postby peteh01 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:24 pm

I've already thankfully received two responses for my question below under 'the members area' and would like some more input as to recommendations and thoughts. Perhaps this is the area I should have started with first.

Hi All,

I am new to FrankTalk but have seen some of the postings regarding penile implants. I am 65 years old, had a prostatectomy about two years ago and am considering a penile implant since my erectile nerves were not salvaged. How does one know who to go to for a proper and reliable device implant ? I live in Central New Jersey and have New York & Philadelphia available as well. The less traveling the better but not at the sake of the surgery. My current urological group does implants but I have no faith in them since I feel that they botched my prostatectomy to begin with. Are there any recommendations that someone can provide to begin the 'shopping' process ? I feel lost in the woods when it comes to this or any medical recommendations for that matter. Did anyone also have any stress incontinence repairs done at the same time ? Whatever specifics or advice you could provide would be most appreciated. Many Thanks, Pete

proactive

Re: Newbie advice on a penile implant

Postby proactive » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:27 pm

Dr. Eaid in NYC and Dr. Andrew Kramer are two of the most respected surgeons and they are relatively close to you. There is also a good one in Philly. Dr. Kramer did mine and I highly recommend him, but the other 2 that I mentioned are also tops in this area of expertise. Dr. Kramer is in Baltimore at the University of Maryland.
50 yr old. 21cm Titan implanted on June 20th 2013

bob1138

Postby bob1138 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:46 am

Hi Pete,

Two highly regarded Implant Surgeons in NYC are Dr. François Eid at New York Hospital and Dr. John Mulhall at
Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK).
Also, Dr. Bruce Garber is a highly regarded Implant Surgeon in Philadelphia at U Penn and Hahnamen Medical Center.
In my PM I included the name of my Implant Surgeon at Hackensack UMC.
I included my contact info in the above PM.
Please feel free to contact me with any non-medical questions or just to talk about the Implant.
Bob

Dave92014

Postby Dave92014 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:31 pm

Dr. Eid in NYC and Dr. Kramer in Baltimore have been mentioned on FT-Talk many times as very number of implants per year and very good doctors. I have never seen anyone say anything negative about either of them. Both of them have information about them available on the web site including infection rates and some videos of procedures. You can do some searches on FT and find many references to each of those docs and to other docs.

I live on the west coast but if I were close to one of those two I would choose the one with that is closest in travel time. If you have some post-surgery problems you want to be able to get back to the doctor easily so that is why I suggest choosing the closest.

Best wishes, I think you are on the right track.

Dave
Implant surgery by Dr. John Greisman 10/31/2012 - Installed AMS CX700

Bionic_by_AMS

Postby Bionic_by_AMS » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:56 pm

peteh01,
Since you live in Central Jersey ... I would recommend my surgeon Douglas S. Berkman (Mt. Laurel, NJ) He did my robotic prostrate surgery and my Implant surgery ... with great results.
http://dvurology.com/doctors/douglas-s-berkman-md-scm/

You can see my results here: http://www.franktalk.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1709
Robotic Prostrate surgery - Dec. 2011 - AMS 700 LGX Implant - 21 cm/3 cm RTE - June 2012

Return to “Implants”