Implant dilemma

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
kbota53

Implant dilemma

Postby kbota53 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:20 pm

(I've also posted this on HW.)

Here's the deal; As most of you know, I lost both nerves from the RRP. The VED works, but....well...you guys know the hassles there, and I won't repost all my stories about injections. I do think I could make the injections work out by playing a little more with the dosages (Plan to try again in the morning with .2cc....) Anyway, both my uro, and my onco have suggested that an implant will be in my future.

I met with a Dr. Wayne Hellstrom yesterday morning at Tulane.

http://www.som.tulane.edu/departments/u ... strom.html

AFter a few minutes of discussion and a brief exam, he felt like I was a good candidate.
Okay, here's the pros and cons of my dilemma; Since I've already past my max out of pocket for the year, my insurance co will pay 100%, as long as it's done prior to Dec 31, 2010.

I started lupron two weeks ago. I can do the implant now, save the $, and have it ready for when I complete the lupron in two + years. Or, I can simply shelve the idea, and wait until T levels recover, and then reconsider the implant. Possibly something new on the market by then..... I'm basically a cheap bast**d, and would love to save the $2k, but even if I get the thing, it will only be a play toy for the next two plus years since the lupron will soon be killing off any libido I have remaining.

I solicit your thoughts, ideas, and opinions. Both on my primary dilemma, and if anyone has heard of Dr Hellstrom.

I had a fantastic dinner with Cajun Jeff last night. He and Pat were very gracious hosts, and we had some really great conversation. Jeff; I appreciate you buddy, and look forward to the next time we can talk, and share "guy" stuff. I just don't know why Pat puts up with ya.....lol

Julios

Re: Implant dilemma

Postby Julios » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:06 pm

Hi kbota

One thing to consider is that the Lupron may not take away your libido all that much, and you could be getting mileage with it the next two years. My med oncol says it effects everyone differently and some dont notice much of a change. Second, your significant other, or future ones, would benefit from it even if you didn't.

I think if it were me, and it probably will be one day, I would save the $2 grand. Especially if injections dont work. Sex is hugely important to me; keeps my mind off PCa.

Best
Age 54
RP July 2010. All nerves spared on right, 25% on left
Pathology: T3b, Gleas 9, Pos Margins, EPE
Currently on ADT
Using Trimix successfully: 0.08ml; 20MCG Alprostadil 1MG Phentolamine 30MG/ML Papaverine

Return to “Implants”