Caveat emptor: Coloplast does not cover the cost of Titan revision surgery

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
JohnnyTooBad!

Caveat emptor: Coloplast does not cover the cost of Titan revision surgery

Postby JohnnyTooBad! » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:33 pm

"Approximately 30% of IPPs implanted in 2021 were revision surgeries, also increasing likelihood of infection among other possible complications." - Coloplast website

To this layman, that's seems like a very high failure rate for Coloplast Titan and indicative of a very unreliable product.

"I understand that you are looking for reimbursement, however, we would not cover the cost of the revision. If the device was deemed as malfunctioning, we would cover the cost of the device." - email from Coloplast representative

I recently underwent revision surgery for a Titan One Touch that failed after only 36 months of service. I requested of Coloplast and was denied without consideration reimbursement for surgery related expenses.

I often joked after my Titan failed that it was a good thing I had bought the Coloplast Titan extended warranty/service plan. If Coloplast begins offering service plans, at 30% failure rate and only a 36 month of service life, I'd strongly recommend men buy the plan.

Reiterated: caveat emptor when considering a Coloplast Titan

wolfpacker

Re: Caveat emptor: Coloplast does not cover the cost of Titan revision surgery

Postby wolfpacker » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:38 pm

You're right that it's important to know upfront that an implant is a lifelong financial commitment, and that the manufacturer's warranty only covers the cost of the device and not the other surgical costs.

But the "30% failure rate" you describe isn't really accurate. They said that 30% of surgeries are revisions. Could've been guys from 10 or 20 years ago getting their revision now. A better statistic would be average/median time to device failure.
Early 30s with ED for years from penis enlargement stretching and jelqing. Implant by Dr Eid on 24 June 2021 with a Titan 24cm with +1cm RTE on one side and -1cm cut off on the other side

My journal: viewtopic.php?t=17202

JohnnyTooBad!

Postby JohnnyTooBad! » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:43 pm

I agree that the 30% of surgeries are revisions statistic may include devices that have had a long service life. However, my device lasted 36 months, ergo, based on my experience, the 30% includes Titan devices that failed prematurely.

wilsonmill

Postby wilsonmill » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:12 pm

Got 5 yrs out of mine
Age 63, diabetic , heart disease, Married 20 years, Titan implant 27Feb2019, Duke Medical Hospital, Dr Lentz

JohnnyTooBad!

Postby JohnnyTooBad! » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:27 pm

Well guess what, wilsonmill. You just jinxed your device.

There’s a gentleman who posted earlier today, his second device in less than 12 months failed.

LastHope

Postby LastHope » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:34 pm

JohnnyTooBad! wrote:"Approximately 30% of IPPs implanted in 2021 were revision surgeries, also increasing likelihood of infection among other possible complications." - Coloplast website

To this layman, that's seems like a very high failure rate for Coloplast Titan and indicative of a very unreliable product.

"I understand that you are looking for reimbursement, however, we would not cover the cost of the revision. If the device was deemed as malfunctioning, we would cover the cost of the device." - email from Coloplast representative

I recently underwent revision surgery for a Titan One Touch that failed after only 36 months of service. I requested of Coloplast and was denied without consideration reimbursement for surgery related expenses.

I often joked after my Titan failed that it was a good thing I had bought the Coloplast Titan extended warranty/service plan. If Coloplast begins offering service plans, at 30% failure rate and only a 36 month of service life, I'd strongly recommend men buy the plan.

Reiterated: caveat emptor when considering a Coloplast Titan

Have you considered the Malleable option?

wilsonmill

Postby wilsonmill » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:02 pm

JohnnyTooBad! wrote:Well guess what, wilsonmill. You just jinxed your device.

There’s a gentleman who posted earlier today, his second device in less than 12 months failed.

Johnny, jinxed? Hell it failed in 5 yrs, maybe try jinxing at 20 yrs, I don't think I would get a Titan ipp for the revision.
Age 63, diabetic , heart disease, Married 20 years, Titan implant 27Feb2019, Duke Medical Hospital, Dr Lentz

JohnnyTooBad!

Postby JohnnyTooBad! » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:51 pm

My apologies. I thought you were boasting, wilsonmill. And I wouldn’t jinx, my suggestion was that boasting would bring the jinx itself, aka karma.

wilsonmill

Postby wilsonmill » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:04 pm

No issue Johnny, I really feel how you feel even if I have only my first device failure, it is still a hard pill to swallow (no pun). That is why I am looking at all others but the Titan IPP. Hope to hear alot from the group that is on this site.

JohnnyTooBad!

Postby JohnnyTooBad! » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:08 am

LastHope wrote:
Have you considered the Malleable option?

No, but if this device fails I would consider either joining or initiating a class action lawsuit against Coloplast, especially considering their unapologetic posture.

I haven’t considered a malleable option yet.

Return to “Implants”