Malleable and Penile Tissue Atrophy

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
LastHope

Malleable and Penile Tissue Atrophy

Postby LastHope » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:25 pm

Can anyone share more light about Malleables causing deterioration and thinning of penile flesh over the long-term?

Dr. J. Francois Eid, MD:
"What we’ve learned from the experience with rigid or semi-malleable implants is that over time the layer of scar tissue that forms around the cylinders, the pseudo-capsule will become looser, and so the erection will loosen up, it will wobble. The space inside the cavernosa chamber where the cylinder is located will expand from the motion of the patient. There is an atrophy that occurs of the flesh of the penis. There is actually an atrophy also of the glans penis."

Source:
https://www.renalandurologynews.com/exp ... y-options/

wilsonmill

Re: Malleable and Penile Tissue Atrophy

Postby wilsonmill » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:56 pm

Good read, makes me question bicycling whether that could cause some issues
Age 63, diabetic , heart disease, Married 20 years, Titan implant 27Feb2019, Duke Medical Hospital, Dr Lentz

Mark1974

Postby Mark1974 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:32 pm

This is the issue with the malleable. Pressure atrophy. I've seen Eid talk about it on a video that I can no longer find. Either he speaks about it in the video or on the comment section, but what he said was substantially the same as was quoted in the article.

I think this[i][/i]is the reason most of the top implant surgeons don't even bring up malleables. And I can't see a way around it, the physics of it are unfortunate.
I was born in 1974. I've had venous leak ED since early 30's, but managed with pde5 inhibitors until mid 40's. I have fairly severe hour-glassing, but no hard plaques. My urologist is worldwide acknowledged expert Dr. Laurence Levine

LastHope

Postby LastHope » Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:02 pm

Mark1974 wrote:This is the issue with the malleable. Pressure atrophy. I've seen Eid talk about it on a video that I can no longer find. Either he speaks about it in the video or on the comment section, but what he said was substantially the same as was quoted in the article.

I think this[i][/i]is the reason most of the top implant surgeons don't even bring up malleables. And I can't see a way around it, the physics of it are unfortunate.

Dr. Eid talks about that here:
https://youtu.be/7GRU1GrgW1M?si=DU_7Jb0xD3tYUySw

I've reviewed some papers on malleables, and it seems we lack sufficient long-term study data. I believe countries such as those in South America, Africa, Middle East and South Asia where malleables have a significant market share, would be ideal locations for conducting such studies on long term tissue atrophy.

Mark1974

Postby Mark1974 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:07 pm

That's the one!

It's pretty brutal

It's the best argument against the malleable
I was born in 1974. I've had venous leak ED since early 30's, but managed with pde5 inhibitors until mid 40's. I have fairly severe hour-glassing, but no hard plaques. My urologist is worldwide acknowledged expert Dr. Laurence Levine

LastHope

Postby LastHope » Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:48 pm

Mark1974 wrote:That's the one!

It's pretty brutal

It's the best argument against the malleable

Thanks for bringing his video up. I should revisit this as it has been a while. It would be great if we had a video that delved into this topic for an hour. If this penile atrophy were a significant concern, the FDA would likely withdraw its approval for Malleables for virgin implant or non-salvage cases. I guess it can't happen as there aren't still people with arthritis who don't want to do all that inflatable pumping. I'm curious whether Dr. Eid has a very conservative stance on this matter or if it's genuinely as serious as he suggested!

frank66665

Postby frank66665 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:45 pm

this article dates back to 2014, in any case it doesn't talk about malleables, it refers to inflatables with extenders, kindly point me to the point where he talks about malleables in that article
56, ED since 2010, pills work but not always and well, trt in progress improved but not so much, myocardial infarction january 2016, new stent september 2016, hypertension, venous on 1/23/23 titan one touch 22, no rte dottor Gabriele Antonini Italia

easymoney

Postby easymoney » Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:53 pm

One again this is one dr's opinion ...even thought he is a good dr. well experienced I'd like to see if his view has changed since 2014 when that video was made. I have skin in this game since I have had a Rigicon since 6-2023.

LastHope

Postby LastHope » Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:59 pm

frank66665 wrote:this article dates back to 2014, in any case it doesn't talk about malleables, it refers to inflatables with extenders, kindly point me to the point where he talks about malleables in that article

You can find the section under this header:

What is the downside of getting a penile implant? [06:44]

LastHope

Postby LastHope » Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:04 pm

easymoney wrote:One again this is one dr's opinion ...even thought he is a good dr. well experienced I'd like to see if his view has changed since 2014 when that video was made. I have skin in this game since I have had a Rigicon since 6-2023.

I'm seriously considering getting a Malleable as I can't afford the revisions that come with the unreliable IPP.

His stance didn't seem to change. His practice website says the same: "Causes deterioration and thinning of penile flesh over the long-term."

https://www.urologicalcare.com/types-of ... -implants/

Return to “Implants”