If your first implant fail prematurely, chances are the second and third one also will

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Rufian

If your first implant fail prematurely, chances are the second and third one also will

Postby Rufian » Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:49 pm

If your first implant fails prematurely, chances are the second and third one also may. I've noticed this pattern on forums and groups, I wonder why that is, even when implanted by "skilled" surgeons, some people have like 4 failures, can we honestly say is all the surgeons fault? I think is actually the patient's own physiology not agreeing with all those parts in the body.

The body surely realizes these parts are foreign and shouldn't be there, could it be possible that the body attacks these parts and causes them to fail? The patients own physiology could be causing the parts to fail, whether their abdominal wall, white blood cells, immune system? blood? the whole body does not want the parts?

This would explain why the failures continue to happen, the body is not happy with those parts and want them out. This is why some people never have any issues for years if not decades, and you have people who have failures left and right, one after another despite having it done by skilled surgeons.

Is it truly just luck? I don't believe it. I think is the patient's own physiology causing the parts to malfunction, maybe the body is not happy with all those foreign parts. maybe thats why the malleable is more long lasting, is only in the cavernosa space, literally occupying the space of cavernosa smooth muscle tissue.

Surely the body realizes this are foreign objects, eventually will accept it as harmless, though it may always keep watch and vigilant, watching it from afar, this is why doctors say as long as you have ANY implant in your body, of any kind, the risk of infection is never fully gone, there will always between 1-2% risk of infection for life, as long as you have the implant inside the body.

The body knows is a foreign object, though it may accept it as harmless and leave it alone, it will keep watch and not take its eyes from it. Chances are the bodies of some people could be truly unhappy with all the parts from an inflatable, not serving any real purpose to the body.

Ironically, the IPP failures are often caused by parts OUTSIDE the cavernosa tissue, the reservoir, the pump, the tubes, etc. Parts, that to the body, probably are useless and have no purpose being there. Whereas the IPP balloons or the malleable prosthesis, are actually serving a purpose, occupying the space, where the cavernosa tissue used to be.

JohnHC

Re: If your first implant fail prematurely, chances are the second and third one also will

Postby JohnHC » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:18 am

In my case no, first implant failed due to a pinhole leak in the left cylinder, my second failure I believe is due to the tubing to the reservoir coming apart, probably because it wasn't fully put together or seated ( I don't know how they connect some sort of collar system they either snap together or are glued ) so the first was a defect the second could be a defect or Drs error. I'm not sure which ( he did inform me that during his surgeries the device is prepped outside the OR and brought when it's time to place it, so no telling who could have screwed up )
AMS 700 CX 21cm x 12mm with 1.5cm RTE, MS pump, and Conceal Reservoir. Implanted on 4-12-2023 removed and replaced 6-22-23 with the same, 1st implant surgery had pinhole leak in left cylinder. Now awaiting third surgery unknown failure.

Rider1400

Re: If your first implant fail prematurely, chances are the second and third one also will

Postby Rider1400 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:04 pm

Would be interesting to hear more details as to exactly why the failures happened. Eid and perito both say the implants are virtually indestructible. Most failures are in the tubing and then pump and resivour. I can’t see how the body could destroy these components. Yes I can see where they could possibly reject them as in an infection or irritation. It could be a possibility that the manufacturer has defects as in the one touch pumps with the coloplast. My Dr wouldn’t even consider the one touch as he had several that had to be replaced due to malfunction. I would lean more on manufacturing issues than a body destroying them. Just my two cents.
58year old ED started mid 40s pills failed after 10 years. Injections works but diminishing results with pain. Implanted 5-22 Baylor,Scott,and White Dallas.Dr Michael Wierschem, infrapubic Coloplast 20cm and 1cm RTE. Going strong and loving it!

ED2013

Postby ED2013 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:29 pm

I do think there is something to this. But not from the body “attacking” the implant. Rather the patient’s individual anatomy and lifestyle.

TANGERINE

Postby TANGERINE » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:09 am

it is not the body "attacking" the implant. It is almost always because of a mechanical failure. And that has to do with the installation and the skill of the surgeon doing the installation. Yes, part of your anatomy might mean that there are tube kinks that could not be avoided, so i suppose there is something to this idea, but i think that 90 percent of the factor that determines if you have an early failure depends on the angle at which it was installed and the manner in which you beat on it over the years.
"Strive to find the best surgeon--experience really matters"
(63 yo, Titan 22cm implant Feb 2017 by Dr Eid) I'm super pleased with my length/girth/implant performance. See my story at "The road to becoming a bionic male: Answers ..."

Return to “Implants”