I finnaly made a life changing decision

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Bigdog4all

I finnaly made a life changing decision

Postby Bigdog4all » Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:12 am

I have read, viewed, and studied as much as I could have about Penile Implants. And I stayed at a Holiday Inn. Here goes.......

AMS - 3 piece model

Pre Op.....
Jan 18th, 2024

Surgery.....
Feb 8th, 2024

No blood thinners week to 10 days before surgery

I am nervous as hell. Not with the Doctor or Hospital, but with the actual procedure. The difference between, slight discomfort, discomfort, some pain, Ibuprofen, to oxy. Help..... this thought is causing sleepless nights. It just seems like a very violent surgery on a very delicate area. I have had other surgeries before...Lower back & Rotator Cuff. My wife supports me, but she often ask, Are you sure you want to do that? My reply is usually, "I'm not going out laying on my back". I have interviewed my operation Doctor with over 50 questions. So I am comfortable him and his answers. Plus my female URO, says she will hold my hand through anesthesiology. She has been my support URO for the past few years. She convinced me to get this procedure and I trust her very much. I have prayed for a miracle many times, and this PE may be the blessing I have been praying for. Thank all you guys for your posts, replies, and comments.
72, AMS 700 LGX. Married to an Angel. Discovered ED at 67. Path = Diabetic, Supplements, Pills, Needle, Pump, and finally AMS 700 (2-8-24).

Witheringhog

Re: I finnaly made a life changing decision

Postby Witheringhog » Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:19 am

Bigdog4all wrote:I have read, viewed, and studied as much as I could have about Penile Implants. And I stayed at a Holiday Inn. Here goes.......

AMS - 3 piece model

Pre Op.....
Jan 18th, 2024

Surgery.....
Feb 8th, 2024

I am nervous as hell. Not with the Doctor or Hospital, but with the actual procedure. The difference between, slight discomfort, discomfort, some pain, Ibuprofen, to oxy. Help..... this thought is causing sleepless nights. It just seems like a very violent surgery on a very delicate area. I have had other surgeries before...Lower back & Rotator Cuff. My wife supports me, but she often ask, Are you sure you want to do that? My reply is usually, "I'm not going out laying on my back". I have interviewed my operation Doctor with over 50 questions. So I am comfortable him and his answers. Plus my female URO, says she will hold my hand through anesthesiology. She has been my support URO for the past few years. She convinced me to get this procedure and I trust her very much. I have prayed for a miracle many times, and this PE may be the blessing I have been praying for. Thank all you guys for your posts, replies, and comments.

You made the right choice, its not a bad surgery, at least not for me. But even most guys who had lots of pain still say it was worth it. Its a hard procedure to get information on because there is such a wide range in recovery. Expect the best and plan for the worst. The things that helped me most…. Ice/frozen peas, baby socks to shield the glands, sweat pants. You will want loose fitting pans and if you have to work, tighty white underwear or anything that can keep you dick in place. Stressing about it wont help, plan and know you have extremely high ofs of being happy.
49 - Coloplast Titan 22 implanted 5-2 Dr. Clavell in Houston

tomas1

Postby tomas1 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:36 pm

All I'll suggest is to just trust the doc and let it all happen. Sooner than you think, you should have great sex again. I'm coming up on my 5-year anniversary, and we use it nearly every day. After surgery, if you have some discomfort in the glans, you may even all a bit of length (I did). Ask the surgeon to be mildly aggressive when sizing you.
85 years
Inject testosterone weekly.
Implant on 1/22/19 by Dr Avila.
Scrotal, hor. incision just over 1"
18cm AMS 700 CX, 3.5cm RTE 100cc res
Gleason 6 prostate cancer. Monitoring it for now.
Update: On my last biopsies the cancer wasn't found.

Alex258

Postby Alex258 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:42 pm

Bigdog4all wrote:I have read, viewed, and studied as much as I could have about Penile Implants. And I stayed at a Holiday Inn. Here goes.......

AMS - 3 piece model

Pre Op.....
Jan 18th, 2024

Surgery.....
Feb 8th, 2024

However it goes for you, know that the day will come will you will be one happy guy. Im one year in and I'd do it over and over again. Titan Coloplast by Perito here. GL to ya.

Jage64

Postby Jage64 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:19 pm

I was apprehensive too, but what kept coming back into my mind was "are you comfortable with the alternative?" Meaning no working penis and a terrible sex life for the last 30 years of my life. No thanks. I'll take the risk (which in the hands of a proven surgeon, is minimal)

Keep in mind that FrankTalk is often sort of like an auto parts store, people go to the counter of the auto parts store pissed off that their 25 yr. old alternator stopped working. Rarely, does someone come in and thank the auto parts guy for the great O2 sensor he sold them 3 years ago that's still working great. FT represents a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of implanted men, and a very small fraction of those are not thrilled with their implant.

For me, the key to the worry was education. I read everything, I listed my questions, searched for the answers, asked Dr. Clavell, read FT journals, noted best practices, made a list of things I'd need and went in completely prepared and eyes open. Sounds like you're doing the same, don't stop. @Thailandbound had his surgery just before I did, and I followed his reports closely. I decided I wanted his recovery for myself. Turns out that's what I got, maybe even a little easier. Dr. Clavell's pain management plan worked like a charm, I never took a prescription pain killer, just alternated Advil and Tylenol. No bruising, no tenderness at reservoir site (I can't even tell where it is), and I'd say I had nothing more than about a week of discomfort, no pain. Surgery Wednesday, flew home on Friday, back at work in my home office on Monday. (Ice, ice, ice)

You'll want a pee bottle for each bathroom, baby socks to protect the tender glans, a jock with a wide band to wear at night to keep it strapped to your abdomen, and I bought the long refillable ice bag that would go from my taint to beyond the tip of my penis on the bottom side, and then another shorter refillable ice bag on the top of my penis and then I wrapped that tight with a velcro ace bandage. Basically a penis filled ice hoagie. :D

You'll be just fine, we've all been where you are, and we're all thrilled with the results.
2/22/23 AMS 700 CX 21cm + 1.5cm RTEs. 58 yrs old, wife of 37 yrs. Penoscrotal. 100ml Conceal reservoir. Dr. Clavell. Pills failing and went right to implant, skipped the injections. 12 mos. later: 7 1/2" x 5 3/4"

SWorks17

Postby SWorks17 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:49 pm

AMS - 3 piece model

Pre Op.....
Jan 18th, 2024

Surgery.....
Feb 8th, 2024

Bigdog, I thought I was the only person that used the phrase I stayed at a Holiday Inn :!: :lol:

It sounds like you have a great team around you. Everything will be fine, there is pain but the outcome is worth it. Remember that we all heal different so you might not have the same time line as other guys with how quick or how slow the recuperation goes.
It looks like you are getting the same implant that I have, I got the AMS 700 LGX 18cm with 3cm rear tips, or you might get the CX.
You will be glad that you made the leap. It's been 2 years for me and it's the best decision that I've made.
If you have more questions, ask away or you can PM me.

Good Luck,
S-Works
Age 66, Garden Ridge Texas, Progressive ED after Boston Scientific Rezum procedure for benign enlarged prostate 19 May 21, AMS LGX 18 w 3cm rear tips installed 5 Nov 2021 by Dr Shane Barney, Brooke Army Medical Center, San Antonio, Texas, Married 35 years

Gt1956

Postby Gt1956 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:09 pm

Lots of little tricks are available. I used a jock strap to keep my penis pointing up. I wore clip on suspenders for my pants. I would clip my jock straps band along with my pants band with the suspenders. Finally I would roll up a wash cloth or two to force my penis up & snug to my body. Many men find that keeping their penis vertical is the most comfortable plus most drs advise to keep it up also.

Buy a tube of skin numbing cream. I forget the name right now. I got relief by using it on my shaft & sack. I'd suggest to avoid any incisions.

Buy a bottle each of ibuprofen & acetaminophen. They can be taken together. Alternate between the two, not at the same time.

I got the best sleep with a heating pad nestled between my legs set on low. Of course this is after you move from ice to heat. Sleeping with the ice pack early on is a good idea also. It helps prevent swelling.

Sleeping on your back might be the best. I was able to transition to side sleeping with a small pillow between my knees.

Don't be afraid to experiment with your recovery. Either you or your wife might end up making a few extra trips to a big box store. Buy the cheaper brand stuff, save the receipt. If you don't use it, take it back. I have most of my foreskin, I didn't need the baby socks. My glans didn't rub on clothing so I never got sore.

Your wife, reassure her. Despite being on board for my getting an implant. The stress on the pre op day got to her. She was afraid of me dieing on the table. Once I was out & could talk & walk. She was a champ. She has had a lot of abdominal surgeries. She thought my recovery was slow but almost all the work is done in your penis. Not any surrounding tissue to help lessen the pain. Keep that in mind as you mentioned having other surgeries.

You'll do ok. Good luck.
68yo, HBP at 40, high triglycerides at 45. Phimosis at 57. Type 2 at 60. Dr. William Brant May 1, 2023 CX 21cm w/no rte's penoscrotal 6" girth @ 6 months

ThailandBound

Postby ThailandBound » Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:20 pm

You’re a grown-ass man and you admit you’re “nervous as hell”.

Brother, welcome to the club! :D

The month prior to my surgery was the longest month of my life. The day prior, alone in Houston, was by far the longest day of my life. I sat alone in my hotel room that night and had to admit to myself, “fuck. I’m scared”.

Today, i’m 11 months postop. Enjoying some of the best sex of my life. Was it worth it? Yes. Absolutely.

Here, you’ll find the support you need to get through this. I certainly did.
Active, athletic 63 years old. Sexually, still 33 in my mind and spirit. Pills and injections all worked, until they didn’t. Diagnosed with veinous leakage in 2022. Coloplast Titan. 22 CM. No RTE. Peno-scrotal. Implanted 1/4/23. Dr. Clavell.

Old Guy

Postby Old Guy » Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:05 pm

Bigdog4all- You are absolutely right about being nervous. I knew nothing about what I was getting myself into, had not found FT yet and didn't do a lot of research for fear I'd chicken out. It was my first surgery as an adult. Tough recovery for me but I would do it again for the satisfaction I've gotten these past four years.
Relax, trust those doctors, and in a few months you'll feel like a new man.
Nov. 8, 2019
4+ years, Coloplast Titan OTR
Married 36 years to my beautiful young bride
Always here to answer questions if you PM me

jwdetails

Postby jwdetails » Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:12 pm

Congrats for taking the first step. I was also a little nervous at first, but sex was just a very important part of my life so I knew I had to do it. You should have trust in your surgeon and a good working relationship. At least for many of the high volume implanters, they are going to do whatever they can to give you the absolutely best outcome. There's always the possibility of complications/issues/delayed recovery but its good to know that your surgeon will be there when you need them the most. Good luck1
62 year old with 37 year old wife, ED+PD got Coloplast Titan 22 cm no RTE in 2019 with Dr. Irwin Goldstein => pump failure, now revised with plaque excision/tunical expansion to Coloplast Titan 26 no RTE in 2022 by Dr. Darshan Patel. :D

Return to “Implants”