Catheter Ablation for AFib with Implant?

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
warrenw

Catheter Ablation for AFib with Implant?

Postby warrenw » Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:27 pm

Guys, anybody here with an IPP who's also had a catheter ablation procedure for atrial fibrillation (AFib)?
During the procedure a catheter gets inserted into an artery somewhere in the groin, and I'm concerned the IPP reservoir or tubing could be in the way or get damaged.

Just curious if anyone has experience with this. -W
Implant - Dr Eid 12/2017, Titan Touch 20/21cm no RTE, 125cc reservoir

Gt1956

Re: Catheter Ablation for AFib with Implant?

Postby Gt1956 » Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:44 pm

warrenw wrote:Guys, anybody here with an IPP who's also had a catheter ablation procedure for atrial fibrillation (AFib)?
During the procedure a catheter gets inserted into an artery somewhere in the groin, and I'm concerned the IPP reservoir or tubing could be in the way or get damaged.

Just curious if anyone has experience with this. -W

I had some kind of fancy scan done of my heart arteries through my groin. This was to check to see if I had pulmonary hypertension. Now this was many years prior to my implant. But the entrance was on the right side of my penis. At least one inch away from my scrotum. It seems that most implant tubing is on the left side of the scrotum.
I think that by carefully feeling around you might be able to locate the artery that they'll use. If you locate it then that might give you a better idea how far away your artery is.
If my procedure was typical of what yours will be. I think you'll be safe. Just be sure that you mention that you have a prosthesis in the area.
68yo, HBP at 40, high triglycerides at 45. Phimosis at 57. Type 2 at 60. Dr. William Brant May 1, 2023 CX 21cm w/no rte's penoscrotal 6" girth @ 6 months

beachbum1

Postby beachbum1 » Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:48 pm

Hey. I've had two ablation done since my original implant. Both were done through the inner thigh of the right leg. There was no issues at all. I was concerned about it, like you also. I simply told my Dr that I had a penile implant and the resavior was on the right side. He said that it was no problem and he would be sure to watch out. He also orders live exrays at the beginning of the procedure. Afterwards I seen that they never really came close to any part of the implant or the reservoir.
I would just remind the Dr. that you have an implant right before they take you back. I did the Dr and some of the OR staff as they were prepping me.
Good luck
Had to join again as beachbum1. Was and am beachbum but chat has blocked me from a few members
First implanted AMS 700 CX 18+3, in Sept of 2016. Replacement AMS 700 CX 21+2 in August 2023

warrenw

Postby warrenw » Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:54 pm

Thank you both, I feel a lot better now!

Sounds like the implant won't be an issue but I'll definitely make the doctor aware of it.

Gt1956

Postby Gt1956 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:53 am

warrenw wrote:Thank you both, I feel a lot better now!

Sounds like the implant won't be an issue but I'll definitely make the doctor aware of it.

I'd like to warn you about my procedure. To ensure that the artery does clot. They used some kind of plug plus they put a sandbag on my right hip while I was in recovery & coming out of sedation. My hip socket was hurting. I kept wanting to shift my hip a little to ease the discomfort. Of course whoever was monitoring me kept nagging me to not get up. Several days after thevtest. I felt a small pain in the general area of behind my right knee. I quickly decided that I had a blood clot. They scheduled me for an ultrasound very quickly. Yes, I had a venous clot but arterial clots are very serious. I was told to take half an aspirin daily for life. I did it for around 2 years then quit. Please watch for legs pains in the muscles. An artery clot can be fatal in a few minutes if it travels up to your heart/lungs. I worked with a guy that dropped dead while mowing his lawn a few months after he retired early at around 56. Never had a chance.
68yo, HBP at 40, high triglycerides at 45. Phimosis at 57. Type 2 at 60. Dr. William Brant May 1, 2023 CX 21cm w/no rte's penoscrotal 6" girth @ 6 months

Return to “Implants”