Got implant on 9/30/10 - At home and recovering

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
hard drive

Got implant on 9/30/10 - At home and recovering

Postby hard drive » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:53 pm

I got my implant at the Salisbury NC VA hospital on Thursday. I did not go as expected but the final result will be fine I'm sure. My balls are the size of a baseball and I'm very bruised up and feeling it. Every was swollen right after the surgery and it looked really I was upset at first. I thought I went from 7 1/4" to about 2" but as the swelling goes away, I can see that it looks to be my normal size.

I had the surgery at noon but what bothered me was that 24 hours later, the assisting doctor deflated the implant. Why did that upset me? Well, it hurt so bad I was screaming at the top if my lungs and begging him to stop. It took about 3 tries before he got it to deflate and I was about to pass out with pain. I've never hurt so much in my entire life. HOWEVER, once it was deflated my PENIS (but not my balls) stopped hurting so much, and I actually rested better.

I questioned the doctor (the resident, not the head honcho) as to why and the only answer I got was "That's the way Dr. Terlecky (sp) does it". I was assured it would not result is shrinkage or fibrosis or other undesirable complications, except for my unusual sized balls which along with my penis are now such a dark purple they look black.

I also have pain in my abdomen but I'm told that is where the reservoir is implanted. I noticed 2 holes in the head of my penis and I asked why there were painful cuts in in the head. The resident explained that the doctor inserted wires through the head, and pulled the tubes up very very hard against the back of the glans. He explained that in doing this, he is able to stretch the penis to the absolute maximum length in ensure that shrinkage is minimized if not eliminated.

I'm told he's done this hundreds of times and has only positive results. However this was unexpected (the deflating on the next day) and I was very upset about it. I felt like it put me through unnecessary pain, and he could have waited a week or so to do this.

What's done is done and I think it's going to all turn out great, but the pain level through me off balance.

-Harddrive (previously known as floppydrive)
harddrive

Genome

Re: Got implant on 9/30/10 - At home and recovering

Postby Genome » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:27 pm

Dang bro......you got me really creeped out about my upcoming implant. :shock:

Minnesota

Postby Minnesota » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:57 pm

My first reaction to your story made me too confused to read the rest of the story and feeling the need to post questions immediately. What was your doctor doing deflating the implant 24 hours after surgery. Holy #$%@! There is no mystery why that was painful. Most men have a 4-5 week recovery stage before inflating or deflating the device. The device is at 30-40% when put into the body and should stay that way over recovery. My doctor made me wait 8 weeks before he deflated mine, leading to no healing issues or confusion about deflating or inflating on my own. After talking to different implant patients and with my experience, the biggest issue that men go through is not giving themselves enough recovery time.

Do yourself a favor, pump it up to 40% full and leave it for the next month and a half. No joke.
Diagnosed with ED at age of 19, Implanted with Coloplast Titan at age 20. Now 34 (2023)
Titan failed 09/2020, replaced on 10/2/2020 by Kolher @ Mayo Clinic in Minnesota

hard drive

Postby hard drive » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:10 pm

Genome wrote:Dang bro......you got me really creeped out about my upcoming implant. :shock:

Sorry, I didn't mean to creep you out. I was in a lot of pain and concerned about the early deflation of the implant. I'm still concerned about that. I'm sure your's will go just fine, I think I had an unusual experience. I'm sure mine is going to work out fine also.
harddrive

hard drive

Postby hard drive » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:22 pm

[/quote]My first reaction to your story made me too confused to read the rest of the story and feeling the need to post questions immediately. What was your doctor doing deflating the implant 24 hours after surgery. Holy #$%@! There is no mystery why that was painful. Most men have a 4-5 week recovery stage before inflating or deflating the device. The device is at 30-40% when put into the body and should stay that way over recovery. My doctor made me wait 8 weeks before he deflated mine, leading to no healing issues or confusion about deflating or inflating on my own. After talking to different implant patients and with my experience, the biggest issue that men go through is not giving themselves enough recovery time.

Do yourself a favor, pump it up to 40% full and leave it for the next month and a half. No joke.[/quote]

I'm not exactly sure what confused you unless it was my typo's in the original post. It was a mystery to me as well regarding the deflation before healing. I couldn't get a good answer for that one. I was under the impression that I would get shrinkage and scaring unless it was inflated for a bit of time. The pain was crazy bad, I thought I was going to lose my mind during the deflation and that procedure left me feeling upset.

After reading your reply, I did give the pump a few VERY PAINFUL squeezes and I felt a little inflation. However, ttseveral hours later it seems to have deflated itself again. Either that, or I've gotten used to the slight inflation.
harddrive

Minnesota

Postby Minnesota » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:28 am

Hmm so what % inflated would you say that it is at right now? Did you get the A OK from your doc to be inflating and deflating when you want to? If you could walk us through what instructions you have from your doctor for the next couple of weeks.

Oh and didn't mean to come of harsh in my first post if I did, my apologies.
Diagnosed with ED at age of 19, Implanted with Coloplast Titan at age 20. Now 34 (2023)
Titan failed 09/2020, replaced on 10/2/2020 by Kolher @ Mayo Clinic in Minnesota

hard drive

Postby hard drive » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:34 am

Hmm so what % inflated would you say that it is at right now? Did you get the A OK from your doc to be inflating and deflating when you want to? If you could walk us through what instructions you have from your doctor for the next couple of weeks.

Oh and didn't mean to come of harsh in my first post if I did, my apologies.

I was told not to touch anything and return for a check in 2 weeks. Since you told me to do myself a favour and pump it up to 40% I gave it about 3 partial pumps. I couldn't put a number on it because I don't know what fully pumped would be like. It's still very painful so I'm not going to mess with it anymore. I downloaded the coloplast brochure and it says it shouldn't be inflated post surgery during the recovery period, so I'm guessing the doctor was following the MFG guidelines.
harddrive

jackpTenn

Postby jackpTenn » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:44 pm

HardDrive

The standard today for most of the GOOD doctors is to leave you 20-30% inftated after surgery and leave it for 6 weeks. That way you have less soreness at activation.

I have no idea why your doctor put you through that, unless there was excess bleeding in the corpora's during surgery. As a normal course of procedure I would consider it barbacic. :x

Those of us on this forum that went to the real GOOD doctor had no such problems.

Jack
Peyronies 1995
Penile Implant 10/08
Dr. Douglas Milam @ Vanderbilt
Normal Again

hard drive

Postby hard drive » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:26 pm

jackpTenn wrote:HardDrive

The standard today for most of the GOOD doctors is to leave you 20-30% inftated after surgery and leave it for 6 weeks. That way you have less soreness at activation.

I have no idea why your doctor put you through that, unless there was excess bleeding in the corpora's during surgery. As a normal course of procedure I would consider it barbacic. :x

Those of us on this forum that went to the real GOOD doctor had no such problems.

Jack

That's about what I figured. I have some other concerns that I'm trying not to obsess on too. I literally had no choice of the doctor or his procedure since I have no private insurance. It was a very brutal episode, and it pissed me off and left me confused. If it all turns out to work well in the end it will have been worth the pain, and I won't cry about it. My other concerns have me a bit paranoid so I'm trying to take the "wait and see approach".

This guy has done hundreds of successful implants so I'm going to have to assume mine is just one more, and that he has a poor regard for patient comfort. The assisting resident DID tell me before the surgery that it would be deflated the very next day as a matter of procedure, however I didn't think this would actually happen after I protested. I should have believed him.

Also, since it is a government agency that did the procedure, could it be that they are bound by the MFG's procedure / govt. contract to follow the Coloplast guidelines.?
harddrive

Return to “Implants”