What to do and who to chose?

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
cth524

What to do and who to chose?

Postby cth524 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:56 pm

First off I was supposed to have the implant done in July but last minute insurance said it wouldn't cover it through my employer with cigna. So the new enrollment this year I switched to BCBS or horizon blue. Open enrollment has closed but still can make changes per hr help. I recieved a call from Dr nurse saying cigna has approved the procedure. Hahaha after I already switched now they say they will cover it, lol. Now here's the issues.
I can have it done by end of year with Justin Parker at USF or next year with my original dr Rafael carrion. I like the idea of Parker since I've met my out of pocket and i am still with cigna but downfall is I have no vacation days left and not sure he's as good as Dr Carrion. The bad with Carrion is I have to meet my out of pocket again and won't be til next year til I get it done and even if they say it's approved and I switch back to cigna and get denied then I have to wait til next January.
I'm going to call cigna and talk with the lady who said it was approved and get a letter. I'll just have to eat the out of pocket. What do you all think?

portageriver

Re: What to do and who to chose?

Postby portageriver » Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:27 pm

To hell with money/out-of-pocket costs, insurance, and/or time - you want the BEST surgeon of the two. That's where you focus, let the rest play out.

That's what I think anyway. I am unfamiliar with the surgeons mentioned so I can't help you there. At least a solution is on your horizon either way.
Age 55, Ohio - Implant AMS 700 LGX, 21+ 3 following RAP for prostate cancer (Gleason 6). Implanted June 2021 and loving it!

Gt1956

Postby Gt1956 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:54 pm

Hmmmm. Go cheap or go best? What could possibly go wrong with the cheap option? Let me think about it.
68yo, HBP at 40, high triglycerides at 45. Phimosis at 57. Type 2 at 60. Dr. William Brant May 1, 2023 CX 21cm w/no rte's penoscrotal 6" girth @ 6 months

cth524

Postby cth524 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:32 pm

I guess I'll just wait til next year and hope cigna doesn't reverse the approval on me. Granted carrion is the one I'd rather have do it but moneybis also a factor as im.single and not made of money

Mtnmirv

Postby Mtnmirv » Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:59 pm

This may sound impractical or impossible but you do not want to shop for this procedure on price alone. If you have to take out a loan to get the best surgeon you can get then find a way to do it.
67 years old, Peyronies for decades, robotic prostatectomy Feb 2009, Implanted 08-23-23 with an AMS 700 CX 21 cm no rtes. by Dr. Clavell in Houston.

cth524

Postby cth524 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:17 am

Dr carrion is a top implant surgeon. I just got off phone with cigna a d have the approval number so that is aeesome!!! I think I will wait until he comes back from vacation in January to schedule it to be done. My new Christmas toy, lol

SteveD

Postby SteveD » Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:26 am

Talk again with Cigna re: out of pocket impact with their initial disapproval and now approval. Will they do an exception and roll-over the out-of-pocket to next year for this one procedure? These policies are not law and you can reasonably - and calmly - explain that their disapproval / then approval has caused a significant financial impact.
Somewhere on the journey after prostate cancer surgery 2019 - AMS 15/5 IPP 2 years later - saved by a very supportive wife and a great surgery team at Johns Hopkins.

cth524

Postby cth524 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:37 am

That is a good point SteveD. This past July I was to have done and met deductible and out of pocket due to many hospital stays from my pancreatic cancer as well. Cigna beat me up and down for months prior to about the denial and approval. Then I complained that why is a woman can have breast implants after breast cancer and it be approved but yet I have prostate cancer and has caused ED and we are not a guaranteed approval whichbis discrimination!! There is even a breast cancer act called the women's breast cancer act of 1988.

rdnkbiker

Postby rdnkbiker » Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:53 am

I would be careful with Cigna they approved mine conformation # and all and last minute said no left me with a huge bill and still paying on it think you have the right idea by calling but like i said after it was done they said no so just make sure its all good don't be like me get stuck with a huge bill

jim
HBP since my 20s Full ED i was 55 when i received my implant January 17th 2017 sever scare tissue through corpora cavernosa clear to the glands (no blood flow) complete revision new equipment july 10th 2023 AMS CX 21cm by DR.William Brant very happy

Old Guy

Postby Old Guy » Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:25 am

I knew nothing about implants before my surgery except it would allow me to have erections again. Can't even remember how I found my doctor, didn't know if he had done numerous implants or I was his first. Bottom line is everything came out fine. Picking a high volume doc might be your choice but expensive. From all I have learned hanging around FT for 3 years there doesn't seem much difference in the final outcome no matter what doc installs the implant.
Nov. 8, 2019
4+ years, Coloplast Titan OTR
Married 36 years to my beautiful young bride
Always here to answer questions if you PM me

Return to “Implants”