I think I am screwed for a good surgeon in San Diego

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
goose1235

I think I am screwed for a good surgeon in San Diego

Postby goose1235 » Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:46 pm

Hi, I’ve been going through urologists at UCSD, but mediCal doesn’t cover implants so I had to switch to my employers insurance which is with Sharp Healthcare. I’m now finding out that UCSD is not in network, so the surgeon I wanted wont be able to do my surgery…Does anyone know if there is even a good surgeon with Sharp?

My last doppler was also incorrectly done so it showed negative for venous leak. I was about to have it redone, but I’m afraid Sharp might get it wrong again. Then Ill be stuck in this process all over again for months.

I’m only 25 so my life has been on halt. Im tired of jumping through this snail-paced medical machine. I’m stuck with whatever surgeon they give me, and if they fuck up (reduced size, infection, and so on) I’m finished and will become a buddhist monk. Please let me know if there is a surgeon in the Sharp system.

Hillywilly

Re: I think I am screwed for a good surgeon in San Diego

Postby Hillywilly » Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:22 pm

I would highly recommend doing everything in your power to get a high volume well reviewed surgeon regardless of cost...
33 HG deformity now Titan OTR 24cm XL + 1 cm RTE's Length 7.25in/ Girth 6in (midshaft) Dr. Hakky 4/4/23

Quincy

Postby Quincy » Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:49 pm

It's worth traveling for to get the right surgeon, as well. I live in Idaho and traveled to Silicon Valley to get Dr. Edward Karpman, after interviewing several different surgeons. It was 12 hours by car, but worth it to me.

I don't know your insurance at all, but if they also handle surgeons in other geographies it might be worth it to expand your search.

Best wishes for a great outcome.

Quincy
71, Boise area, Married
ED from type 2 diabetes and PCa radiation.
AMS LGX surgery 6/5/18 with Edward Karpman in Silicon Valley, 18cm+3RTE

Txagq8

Postby Txagq8 » Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:36 pm

Insurance companies aren’t always evil. Neither are doctors.

Talk to doctor’s financial people first. Level with them. Tell them you’d like to use them, you’ve got an insurance network issue. How much would they bill the insurance carrier to do you.

Then talk to the insurance carrier. Try asking them who within network has the experience & reputation of your chosen surgeon. How much were they going to pay this in network guy?

It might or might not happen but it’s worth investigating. Your insurance carrier might allow you to go outside their network while paying your doctor the equivalent of what they pay in network. Your doctor might accept their payment against a bill of what he charges the insurance carriers in his network, and pass along a copay to you.

Reality is doctors like to think patients appreciate their work. In the big scheme of things insurance carriers are concerned about risk and exposure and paying for a surgeon a patient is happy with gives them better odds of a happy outcome.
Robust, adolescent 65 year old. Venous leakage forever. Used shots, shots+pills 30+ years. Married to same wife ~35 yrs. Implanted 31Dec2019 in Austin Tx. AMS 700 LGX 18 cm with 5 cm RTE.

returntocenter

Postby returntocenter » Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:04 am

goose1235 wrote:Hi, I’ve been going through urologists at UCSD, but mediCal doesn’t cover implants so I had to switch to my employers insurance which is with Sharp Healthcare. I’m now finding out that UCSD is not in network, so the surgeon I wanted wont be able to do my surgery…Does anyone know if there is even a good surgeon with Sharp?

My last doppler was also incorrectly done so it showed negative for venous leak. I was about to have it redone, but I’m afraid Sharp might get it wrong again. Then Ill be stuck in this process all over again for months.

I’m only 25 so my life has been on halt. Im tired of jumping through this snail-paced medical machine. I’m stuck with whatever surgeon they give me, and if they fuck up (reduced size, infection, and so on) I’m finished and will become a buddhist monk. Please let me know if there is a surgeon in the Sharp system.

If everything fails for me, my plan B is also to become a buddhist monk. Best of luck man.
26 y/o. Physiogenic ED.
Tried pills, injections, shockwave therapy, rings, healthy lifestyle, alternative meds.

Implant T-Shirts: https://www.bionicbrothers.store
ED Discord: https://discord.gg/tdtu7WTa4a
Pump: https://tinyurl.com/57buc55e

Drhite

Postby Drhite » Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:16 am

returntocenter wrote:
goose1235 wrote:Hi, I’ve been going through urologists at UCSD, but mediCal doesn’t cover implants so I had to switch to my employers insurance which is with Sharp Healthcare. I’m now finding out that UCSD is not in network, so the surgeon I wanted wont be able to do my surgery…Does anyone know if there is even a good surgeon with Sharp?

If everything fails for me, my plan B is also to become a buddhist monk. Best of luck man.

Did you get on hmo medi-cal plan like Caloptima? I had caloptima before kaiser. UCI medical was part of it....

But if i were you, and NOOOO other option then I'd still get it done at Sharp... bro, at your age, this implant as bad as I've had it, is still worth it
45yo , AMS LGX 700 18.5cm 6/28 by Kaiser Dr. Moheydar - Baldwin Park, do not recommend. 12 wks LT cyl failure and bulge. Rev to Titan Genesis 11/6. Consulting 2nd doc for issues not corrected 1/11/24

ThailandBound

Postby ThailandBound » Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:44 pm

Hillywilly wrote:I would highly recommend doing everything in your power to get a high volume well reviewed surgeon regardless of cost...

Agreed. An implant with Dr. Clavell (to just name 1 reputable high volume surgeon) will set you back not much more more than an economy car. At your age, i’d take the bus/subway/uber and enjoy a proper sex life.
Active, athletic 63 years old. Sexually, still 33 in my mind and spirit. Pills and injections all worked, until they didn’t. Diagnosed with veinous leakage in 2022. Coloplast Titan. 22 CM. No RTE. Peno-scrotal. Implanted 1/4/23. Dr. Clavell.

Randalltx

Postby Randalltx » Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:12 pm

Your employer might have more than one plan available for 2024 and this is the time of year you can switch plans for 2024 (open enrollment). You might want to check and see what will be offered in 2024 andalso ask that UCSD be added as a provider to your Insurance Network. Many times for special situations you can force the insurance carrier to treat an out of network provider as a network provider and get benefits paid by insurance.
Good Luck
76yo, ED Venuous Leak since age 40. South Texas location.
02/09/2023 24 CM Titan Dr. Hofer, Stone Oak Meth San Antonio.
@OEM 7.5L x 6.0/Flaccid 2.0L x 6.0 (Grower)
@8 months 7.50L x 6.0/Flaccid 6.0L x 6.0
@14 months 7.50L x 7.25/Flaccid 6.0L x 6.0

jwitten567

Postby jwitten567 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:15 pm

I would not go with anyone at Sharp - they don't have any high volume implanters!! At your age, you really need someone with a lot of implant experience to get you the best result, don't gamble.
Radical Prostatectomy in 2015; failed pills, straight to Coloplast Titan in 2019 by Dr. Valenzuela in NYC, Replaced with AMS 700 CX in 2022 by Dr. Darshan Patel in San Diego, CA. Wish I jumped to an implant even before prostate cancer!

goose1235

Postby goose1235 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:18 am

Txagq8 wrote:Insurance companies aren’t always evil. Neither are doctors.

Talk to doctor’s financial people first. Level with them. Tell them you’d like to use them, you’ve got an insurance network issue. How much would they bill the insurance carrier to do you.

Then talk to the insurance carrier. Try asking them who within network has the experience & reputation of your chosen surgeon. How much were they going to pay this in network guy?

It might or might not happen but it’s worth investigating. Your insurance carrier might allow you to go outside their network while paying your doctor the equivalent of what they pay in network. Your doctor might accept their payment against a bill of what he charges the insurance carriers in his network, and pass along a copay to you.

Reality is doctors like to think patients appreciate their work. In the big scheme of things insurance carriers are concerned about risk and exposure and paying for a surgeon a patient is happy with gives them better odds of a happy outcome.

So I just ask and hopefully I get approved. If I tell my insurance that I dont trust the surgeons because they don’t do high volume I might be able to find a way for UCSD to perform the surgery instead. Another option Ive been considering is getting a private loan

Return to “Implants”