3rd Implant. I can’t afford this !!

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
robnine

3rd Implant. I can’t afford this !!

Postby robnine » Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:08 am

I’ve forgotten the brand names of these things, but my urologist here in Sydney Australia only does the Boston Scientific inflatables.
First one lasted about 5 years, and both cylinders failed by tearing right where I predicted they would, ie on the bend caused by fitting it , flaccid, into my underpants, and where ordinary walking causes it to be flexed back and forth, thousands of times.
I’m a materials scientist and know about fatigue cracking and this is “Fatigue Failure 1.01”.
I posted about this before, as I had come to the conclusion that it must be left ¼ ish pumped, at all times…. And if that means at least 6 or so inches to be accommodated in my trousers, then “so be it”
And I wrote all that up here, expecting so sensible comments, especially from the designers, but it seems no - one from “the industry” bothers to read this forum.
And, for all the outlay of money, there isn’t one suggestion of any guarantee, or warranty period.
The first”revision “ was done in November 2021.
That was when I implemented the semi-erection policy.
That revision STOPPED WORKING in only 15 months.
I’m now about 3 months into my 2nd revision.
Dr reported one cylinder torn, and something awry with the pump.
“Must have both been faulty”, was all he offered.

I must say that when I posted about the first failure, the most sensible comment, though not in the slightest use to me was along the lines of “Dr Eid says most failures are in the tubing and pump”. . . .
Now I just cannot imagine I’m the only man in the world burning up my old age retirement dollars in this way. . . .
And I’m shocked and disappointed that Boston Scientific , who had a rep there every time, weren’t at all pro-active with following me up to advise what their expectations and experience of other early failures is, or to ask me any questions based on their failure analyses. And tell me what they had learned from mine. . . .
The copper water pipe manufacturers know you will get fatigue cracks at bends where the cross section of extruded and cold drawn domestic Cu tube becomes oval due to poor bending techniques. The stressors here are forces on pipes caused by abrupt stoppage of water flow from washing machines, etc. Much advice has been distributed to plumbers.
I should watch what I’m saying here, as I’m waiting for a return phone call from the very person who witnessed at least this last revision.
When I was trying to glean anything from the Surgeon, he just said “I’m not an engineer I just put them in”
So my impression so far, is that there doesn’t seem to be any expertise being built up between the maker and the customer.
But, I should hold my further caustic comments back until I’ve been contacted next week.
I would have thought they should have been beating a path to my door, trying to find out what I’m doing wrong.
But what goes on inside a man’s underwear as he walks to work is still apparently a verboten subject.
Inside the skin, it seems an entirely different matter.
Of course,I am so privileged to live in an age to be able to have my impotence temporarily reversed.
In generations past, older men with sad old sleepy dicks just became mad, alcoholic or some other dreadful stuff happened to them.
But 15 months?? ?
That’s way too temporary. . . .
R
AMS 700 Implant 2015 Sydney Australia Dr L Carlo Yuen, and team incl Prof Stricker. Excellent. It changed my life... . . .Stopped working in 2020. Ripped both sides. Complete revision, 22 cm cylinders Nov 9. 2021. Prof Stricker

OhMyMy

Re: 3rd Implant. I can’t afford this !!

Postby OhMyMy » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:42 am

Me too! I had 2 pump failures with AMS 700. Each pump failed in 18 months or less. Now retired, and I just cannot put up $20,000 - I'm living on a pension now, no medical insurance. It becomes who can fix this mess at the cheapest. Not ideal when it comes to such a sensitive part of your body, but I'm getting depressed at this floppy thing. I DEFINITELY will not get another AMS 700. They are pure junk. If you are reading this and had decades of use from your AMS product, lucky you. The FDA actually recalled the AMS 700 for faulty pumps just before I had the pump replaced. It seems they just used the faulty pumps anyway. Thanks, FDA!

easymoney

Postby easymoney » Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:35 am

This is one of the reasons my surgeon put a Rigicon malleable implant in me ... one due to my many health issues ..my age ,.... and the health risk of ever having to do a revision .. is it perfect? .. no .. did I lose a little size yes ..but you lose that the longer you have ED and when you age. Did have an issue he is not sure why had to go back in thought it was infected but it was not.. opened it up the chambers were healed and sealed so he left it alone ..I go next tues to have the last of the stitches out .. The Rigicon will give me a 135% of downward bend to conceal it when it is healed .... it seems like I have heard of a lot of revisions on here ... I'm hoping at my age almost 70 this is a one and done deal .. the whole reason we do implants is to get back in the game .. if your young be concerned with size .. if your old be concerned with ease of use and no revisions .. just an opinion

aussiePeyronies

Postby aussiePeyronies » Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:43 am

"I'm not an engineer I just put them in"... My friend, speak to another surgeon.

I know, we are stuck for good surgeons in Aus. If you can afford it, try Eid, Clavell or Hakky.

J
34 Years Old...Peyronies for 4 years. 20 Degree left and upwards curvature, major dents and narrowing, ED.

Implant + Tunica Expansion Procedure, 7th Feb 2023, Titan 22cm + 1cm RTE

FinallyBionic

Postby FinallyBionic » Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:49 am

Robnine,
This case is very interesting. I didn't hear about such a thing before. These implants are supposed to last for about 15 years, unless a mechanical failure happens, such as pump or tubing connection. Boston Scientific should consider this an important case to study.
I don't think the kinks while in flaccid state could be of such a significant harm to the cylinders.
It might be related to some chemical reaction to a substance that your body absorbs, orally or topically.
For instance, before implant I used to use a shaving cream, which wasn't made for private area, but after implant, I didn't do it again. I am not sure about the negative effects, but just stopped it.
Finally Bionic
1969. RP Oct. 2017. Pills and Trimix didn't work. Inguinal hernia repair on both sides. AMS CX 21 cm+1 RTE, by Dr. Kai Li at Kaiser, VA, Jan. 2021. FT member since July 2020 as AST2123. See my previous 457 posts.

awb651

Postby awb651 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:41 pm

Well, this is interesting, I have disliked the flaccid state, it's not really flaccid . . . I was grower. The cylinders are bendy, the tips are a bit awkward and uncomfortable. After decompressing, t takes a few minutes for the penis and it's contents to find an equilibrium. I consulted with a surgeon in so cal who spent a great deal of time showing me the products (AMS vs Titan), and explained in technical terms what he did and didn't like about each product. He opined that the 3 layers of material in the AMS could invite failure and that the Titan cylinders are likely indestructible. He opined that the Titan pump was not as good or practical to use. Neither he nor the doctor (both volume doctors with good reps), would make the choice for me. I was steered away from the LGX, which supposedly has some length growth potential, have been thinking that this dynamic could be an advantage for a "grower", as I was/am.

Return to “Implants”