Prostate Cancer survivor and a Future implant

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
CuzznClark

Prostate Cancer survivor and a Future implant

Postby CuzznClark » Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:05 pm

Per the subject line:
I had a radical robotic proctectomy 2.5 years ago. Surgery went very well but ED got worse. Pills no longer worked for me after surgery. VED helped but needed more help so tried Trimix and that has been working very well for me for the past 15 months. However; I am about to start my 2nd prostate cancer chapter. They have caught some bio-chemical recurrence at a very early stage. I have just begun a new 6 month treatment plan that includes ADT Hormone Therapy, plus 2months of radiation midway thru the ADT. I know that unless I am proactive I would experience shrinkage (and a further ED hit) during the next 6 months.

So my plan is as follows:
1) continue daily use of the VED
2) I have an appointment with Dr. Levin in Chicago next month for two reasons, A- to get his advice on a regimen for penile health for the next 6 months, and B- start the discussions on an implant once this next treatment period is complete.

2024 may be the year I join the bionic brotherhood. Frank Talk has been an excellent resource for me and I welcome any/all comments
67 yrs old, married ro my beautiful wife for 43 years..oral meds did the job beginning at 58 until undergoing RPS at age 64, Trimix worked until it didn't. Implanted with 20cm Titan (no RTEs) by Dr Levine on 3/18/24

Mark1974

Re: Prostate Cancer survivor and a Future implant

Postby Mark1974 » Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:41 pm

Dr Levine is my urologist and he's fantastic.

I also can't get my implant this year. In my case I'm completing and online degree and dealing with health issues of my elderly mother all while working full time.

I'm hoping 2025 will be my year, but he may be retired by then. Even if he is I'll get a recommendation from him

It's good youre making plans. This place is the best resource for making plans. Because of what I learned from this place I know I want

a)AMS CX
b)penoscrotal surgery
c) a plan for pain management explicitly strategized before surgery
d) a plan for infection prevention explicitly strategized for surgery
e) jock straps, baby socks etc purchased before surgery

You'll get a lot of good info here
I was born in 1974. I've had venous leak ED since early 30's, but managed with pde5 inhibitors until mid 40's. I have fairly severe hour-glassing, but no hard plaques. My urologist is worldwide acknowledged expert Dr. Laurence Levine

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:54 pm

I have been extensively researching prostate cancer ever since my diagnosis in April 2023. Biopsy found cancer extensively throutout my prostate and seminal vesicles with perineural invasion but PET scan showed no metastasis in lymph nodes or elsewhere.

What I have learned that I feel compelled to share with you is this: Radation inevitably affects healthy tissue as well as killing off cancerous tissue. So much so that surgeries (such as prostatectomy) after radiation are generally difficult to do (because healing of previously irradiated tissues is compromised and the tissues are more fragile). I can only suppose that implant surgery has a certain risk which is elevated after radiation. Of course, the implant surgery is further away from the radiation field, so may be less problematic than I am imagining.

The upshot of my post is my suggestion that you discuss getting the implant before the radiation therapy.

I am not a medical professional, so that second paragraph's assertions should be verified with your medical care team.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

CuzznClark

Postby CuzznClark » Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:06 pm

@mark1974 @Lost Sheep
Thank You both!
67 yrs old, married ro my beautiful wife for 43 years..oral meds did the job beginning at 58 until undergoing RPS at age 64, Trimix worked until it didn't. Implanted with 20cm Titan (no RTEs) by Dr Levine on 3/18/24

FinallyBionic

Postby FinallyBionic » Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:36 pm

LS, sorry to hear that you are diagnosed with Prostate cancer. I hope you recover very soon. Did you or your doctor consider the robotic surgery over the radiation?
Finally Bionic
1969. RP Oct. 2017. Pills and Trimix didn't work. Inguinal hernia repair on both sides. AMS CX 21 cm+1 RTE, by Dr. Kai Li at Kaiser, VA, Jan. 2021. FT member since July 2020 as AST2123. See my previous 457 posts.

FinallyBionic

Postby FinallyBionic » Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:36 pm

CuzznClark wrote:Per the subject line:
I had a radical robotic proctectomy 2.5 years ago. Surgery went very well but ED got worse. Pills no longer worked for me after surgery. VED helped but needed more help so tried Trimix and that has been working very well for me for the past 15 months. However; I am about to start my 2nd prostate cancer chapter. They have caught some bio-chemical recurrence at a very early stage. I have just begun a new 6 month treatment plan that includes ADT Hormone Therapy, plus 2months of radiation midway thru the ADT. I know that unless I am proactive I would experience shrinkage (and a further ED hit) during the next 6 months.

So my plan is as follows:
1) continue daily use of the VED
2) I have an appointment with Dr. Levin in Chicago next month for two reasons, A- to get his advice on a regimen for penile health for the next 6 months, and B- start the discussions on an implant once this next treatment period is complete.

2024 may be the year I join the bionic brotherhood. Frank Talk has been an excellent resource for me and I welcome any/all comments

I also think getting the implant before the radiation is a better option to avoid size loss. Implant will preserve the size while you are in another treatment.
Finally Bionic
1969. RP Oct. 2017. Pills and Trimix didn't work. Inguinal hernia repair on both sides. AMS CX 21 cm+1 RTE, by Dr. Kai Li at Kaiser, VA, Jan. 2021. FT member since July 2020 as AST2123. See my previous 457 posts.

CuzznClark

Postby CuzznClark » Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:27 pm

FinallyBionic,

To answer your questions:

After getting x3 2nd opinions (including a radiation oncologist) opinions were unanimous that I was an excellent candidate for robotic surgery. Even though I now need some follow-up treatment - I still feel good about the initial decision for surgery.

I understand the logic for implant first and radiation later. However the wheels are already in motion I have already started ADT and radiation will begin in early August (I'm sure implanters are booked out many more months in advance)

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:44 pm

CuzznClark wrote:(edited for brevity)
I understand the logic for implant first and radiation later. However the wheels are already in motion I have already started ADT and radiation will begin in early August (I'm sure implanters are booked out many more months in advance)

Then I advise therapeutic vacuum erection device use. Apply vacuum to induce blood flow into your penis (to oxygenate tissues and expand/stretch tissues) twice a day for 30 minutes per session. Vacuum for a minute, then release (no use of constriction ring). This emulates the dailly (usually nocturnal) erections than intact men usually have that keeps penile tissues healthy, elastic and full-size.

And hope for a cancellation in the surgical schedule if you can manage that before the cancer treatments.

Good luck.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

FinallyBionic

Postby FinallyBionic » Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:39 pm

CuzznClark wrote:FinallyBionic,

To answer your questions:

After getting x3 2nd opinions (including a radiation oncologist) opinions were unanimous that I was an excellent candidate for robotic surgery. Even though I now need some follow-up treatment - I still feel good about the initial decision for surgery.

Of course, cancer treatment is a top priority. We can't always manage things as how want them to be. And yes, VED and/or traction device will help you maintain your size. All the best!
Finally Bionic

HikerMan

Postby HikerMan » Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:54 am

Mark1974 wrote:Dr Levine is my urologist and he's fantastic.

I also can't get my implant this year. In my case I'm completing and online degree and dealing with health issues of my elderly mother all while working full time.

I'm hoping 2025 will be my year, but he may be retired by then. Even if he is I'll get a recommendation from him

It's good youre making plans. This place is the best resource for making plans. Because of what I learned from this place I know I want

a)AMS CX
b)penoscrotal surgery
c) a plan for pain management explicitly strategized before surgery
d) a plan for infection prevention explicitly strategized for surgery
e) jock straps, baby socks etc purchased before surgery

You'll get a lot of good info here

LOL! :)
I found my Doctor here in FrankTalk.

This place and it's posters have been an incredible asset to me.
AMS 700 installed 12/22/22
REAR TIP Extender 5.0CM MR Conditional
AMS 700 SPHERICAL RESERVOIR 100 ML.
AMS 700 LGX INFRA PUBIC 18 cm
Dr. Jeffrey Loh Doyle- USC KECK
Prostate cancer survivor- RP performed 8/20
56, Marathon runner, John Muir Trail fanatic.

Return to “Implants”