Best insurance, please help

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
tobenormalagain

Best insurance, please help

Postby tobenormalagain » Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:41 pm

56yo, health man (no meds, no health concerns, I'm fit and exercise) with long-standing ED. I am completely done with pills, shots, vacuum devices, traction devices.... My latest attempt with a shot last week was a complete failure (yes, I used good technique and a dosage that should have been effective). Anyhow, long story short, I have accepted a position with a federal agency and will be soon start the process for healthcare insurance enrollment. Does anyone have a recommendation for which insurance carriers are more inclined to approve a penile implant. I had Blue Cross Regence before and they were no go. Trying to ascertain online is a trip down the rabbit hole. Please help

Gt1956

Re: Best insurance, please help

Postby Gt1956 » Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:50 pm

Good news first. As a new hire you have a choice between all the health insurances available in your region in the FEHB plan. Best that I can offer is to call each of the top couple of plans available. Be honest about what you're needing done. See what each one says. Btw, there are some really basic plans on there. Its my opinion that they likely won't cover implants.
Remember, if the insurance denies your pre approvel. Come open season in October/November you can change carriers fairly easily online.
68yo, HBP at 40, high triglycerides at 45. Phimosis at 57. Type 2 at 60. Dr. William Brant May 1, 2023 CX 21cm w/no rte's penoscrotal 6" girth @ 6 months

Totitoti

Postby Totitoti » Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:33 pm

United healthcare in Florida approved me no issues, also to consider is a good doctor that knows how to submit your paperwork.
ED Since early 40's used injections for 1 year at 55, implanted by Perito April 19, Titan 24 + 2 rte's
Before implant After
6.75 length 7.00
6.5 girth 5.25

GoodWood

Postby GoodWood » Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:21 pm

I too am a federal employee.

I have not yet tried to get an implant approved but my Blue Cross Blue Shield Federal Employee Program plan specifically excludes implant for sexual function. I think if it was due to prostatectomy it would cover.

I’m going to have to investigate as well and consider a change next open enrollment as I’m in a similar situation r/t ED as you.

I think calling each plan and asking for their list of exclusions and be specific about urology and ED.
55yo, NYC. ED started at 40. 50 units BiMix + Atropine (Pap 30/Phen 6/Atr 0.2). Prostaglandins caused aching. Doses increasing. A cock ring helps. Phallosan Forte tension devise to maintain size. Eager to talk about implant experiences.

Gt1956

Postby Gt1956 » Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:56 pm

I would advise to ask if having peyronies is an acceptable condition to have in order to get an implant. I've read that an implant is pretty much the gold standard treatment for peyronies. If you have a minor case of peyronies? You might find it to your advantage to slightly exaggerate the syptoms to your doctor. I think his notes from your visits along with a treatment plan is submitted to the insurance company. So.....even if sexual function is an excluded reason. It might be to your benefit to harp on the peyronies diagnosis.
Good luck guys. Just an opinion.
68yo, HBP at 40, high triglycerides at 45. Phimosis at 57. Type 2 at 60. Dr. William Brant May 1, 2023 CX 21cm w/no rte's penoscrotal 6" girth @ 6 months

Rider1400

Postby Rider1400 » Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:39 pm

I have BCBS of Illinois and they do(did) cover it in May of ‘22 of course there was my deductible and max out of pocket. I was out a total of $2,000. At first I was denied by the phone call and later got the implant codes from Dr office and called insurance back and gave codes and they were immediately accepted. Not all BCBS insurance cover implants and according to your employer it can change year to year. So you’ll have to do your homework as nobody can tell you any particular insurance that does in fact cover it unless it’s identical to yours and covered by the exact same employer.
58year old ED started mid 40s pills failed after 10 years. Injections works but diminishing results with pain. Implanted 5-22 Baylor,Scott,and White Dallas.Dr Michael Wierschem, infrapubic Coloplast 20cm and 1cm RTE. Going strong and loving it!

CHIEF3

Postby CHIEF3 » Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:51 pm

I had BCBS of California and was denied at first. I had an interview with a representative and explained all the methods and medications I used to have sex and they were all failing. I also said, “we want to have children.” I am not sure what they wanted to hear but they approved coverage, after deductibles of course.

Best wishes.

squirrel

Postby squirrel » Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:41 pm

Take a look at Blue Cross Blue Shields benefit brochure. This is BCBS for federal employees. On page 58 under orthopedic and prosthetic devices it states as covered " Surgically implanted penile prosthesis limited to treatment of erectile dysfunction and gender affirming surgery". This is the Only federal health insurance plan I could find that stated they covered Implants. I had to wait for open season to change from GEHA to BCBS because GEHA would not cover it.
56 years old
E.D. for 6 years
Testosterone Replacement
Implanted 20 APR 22 AMS 700 LGX

tobenormalagain

Postby tobenormalagain » Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:04 pm

Thank you all for the info! You guys are awesome.

Return to “Implants”