Wow, my back MRI just got rejected.

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
HikerMan

Wow, my back MRI just got rejected.

Postby HikerMan » Thu May 18, 2023 5:29 pm

Heads up guys,

If your back needs an MRI you CANNOT get one with an IPP.
I was just rejected.

*MiND BLOWN*
AMS 700 installed 12/22/22
REAR TIP Extender 5.0CM MR Conditional
AMS 700 SPHERICAL RESERVOIR 100 ML.
AMS 700 LGX INFRA PUBIC 18 cm
Dr. Jeffrey Loh Doyle- USC KECK
Prostate cancer survivor- RP performed 8/20
56, Marathon runner, John Muir Trail fanatic.

Cnidium

Re: Wow, my back MRI just got rejected.

Postby Cnidium » Thu May 18, 2023 5:35 pm

I had an MRI done directly on my implant using special settings as per coloplast's instructions.

Maybe back MRIs require a setting not compatible with an IPP, but my guess is something can get worked out.
Titan OTR. Dr. Hakky - successful surgery and very happy with outcome.
My advice: choose a world-class surgeon and make yourself the healthiest you can.

Nestor

Postby Nestor » Thu May 18, 2023 5:52 pm

47; Considering an implant. ED for over a decade. Tested a decade ago for VL, negative. Not hormonal; may be dopamine reward dysfunction.

oldbeek

Postby oldbeek » Thu May 18, 2023 5:59 pm

WRONG!!! MRI lab has no idea what they are doing then. I have had several MRi's at USC Keck and Antelope Valley imaging on my back. I have the same implant installed by DR loDoyle. Besides the implant I have an AUS and a stainless hip socket.
82, good health, RP 7-2017, all nerves taken , PSA 0.05, 4-18,, .07 1/19,.05 4/19, .03 11-21, .04 11-23, implanted 4-1-18, Infra-pubic, AMS lgx 15 cm with 5cm rte. Implant at USC Keck. Dr Boyd and Dr Loh Doyle 6.5 x 5, 800 AUS 7-21-20

HikerMan

Postby HikerMan » Thu May 18, 2023 6:26 pm

As I write this UCLA research is trying to get an answer for me.
Apparently the reasoning is the "Tesla rating" on these new MRI machines are being thrown off by whatever is inside the IPP.

So they can't get accurate readings.

Hopefully, I can get an answer.
My back is really fried

HikerMan

Postby HikerMan » Thu May 18, 2023 6:34 pm

oldbeek wrote:WRONG!!! MRI lab has no idea what they are doing then. I have had several MRi's at USC Keck and Antelope Valley imaging on my back. I have the same implant installed by DR loDoyle. Besides the implant I have an AUS and a stainless hip socket.

According to the lady who was doing my MRI they are NOT allowing any back MRI's with an IPP in your body.
She informed me the brand new 2023; MRI technology doesn't work with IPP systems.

I called UCLA Research and they informed me that what she said was accurate.
They are now trying to find me an MRI machine that will work in my situation.

Nestor

Postby Nestor » Thu May 18, 2023 10:52 pm

Please try to find out more... Does your imaging provider have a website that talks about their MRI equipment?

3 Tesla machines are not exactly rare, but a bit uncommon. Like in my area I only know of one, out of like 20 - there are probably more that I'm not aware of, but not a LOT more.

What "back" areas were you going to get imaged? lumbar and sacrum?
47; Considering an implant. ED for over a decade. Tested a decade ago for VL, negative. Not hormonal; may be dopamine reward dysfunction.

HikerMan

Postby HikerMan » Fri May 19, 2023 9:49 am

Nestor wrote:Please try to find out more... Does your imaging provider have a website that talks about their MRI equipment?

3 Tesla machines are not exactly rare, but a bit uncommon. Like in my area I only know of one, out of like 20 - there are probably more that I'm not aware of, but not a LOT more.

What "back" areas were you going to get imaged? lumbar and sacrum?

Lower.back.
Upon first X-Ray Doctor said it looked like Jenga Puzzle.
He ordered an MRI, so I arrived at here the next morning, the paperwork they had me fill out specifically asked I had a joint.replacement and an IPP.
I answered Yes to both
The nurse then wanted to see the wallet sized card from Boston Scientific that lists the Dr. Name and the specifics of the device.
She came back after a few minutes and informed me that they couldn't perform an MRI on me.

Nestor

Postby Nestor » Fri May 19, 2023 10:04 am

Thank you.

I've had a LOT of x-rays over the years, and probably 3 MRI's of my lumbar region... No IPP at this time.

But due to my spine issues - mostly corrected in that area with artificial disc replacements at L4-L5 and L5-S1... I worry about if having an IPP would create MRI problems anywhere in the abdomen.

MRI's for that region are now quite blurry, say within about an inch of the prosthetics. So I'm already not really able to use MRI's for those specific disc levels.

But still would worry about not being able to get MRI's in any neighboring areas.

Return to “Implants”