4th Implant

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
woodturner

4th Implant

Postby woodturner » Tue May 16, 2023 10:08 pm

Last Dec I had a revision surgery to replace an implant that had sprung a leak after 8 years.

About 3-1/2 weeks later the surgical site opened up about 1" and a lot of fluid came out.
It seems I had developed an infection.
Strangely enough I never had any pain. About 2 days later they went in and found so much infection that they put a malleable in as a place holder.

5 days ago (5 months since the malleable), at my request, the malleable was removed and an IPP was installed.
This time there is a lot of bruising but the only pain is where they put the reservoir in. The pain is mild enough for Tylenol.
What I didn't realize was that Inflatable revisions carry a 10% chance of infection. I think the surgeon was more upset about it than I was.

Dec 2022; 22CM 2CM RTEs removed
Dec 2022 24CM 1CM RTEs installed Coloplast Titan
Jan 2023 IPP removed and replaced with 24CM Malleable
May 2023 Malleable removed and replaced with 24CM 2CM RTEs

I guess I can now claim that I've had 4 different implants over a 5 month period. I would have preferred to stop at the 2nd implant last December.
Total ED since a 6/2010 RPA. Pills and injections didn't work. 2nd revision with a Coloplast Titan (24CM w & 2CM RTEs)on 12/15/2022. 68 years old

Entourage

Re: 4th Implant

Postby Entourage » Wed May 17, 2023 12:29 am

Could you please educate us more about what happened.
You stated you didn't have pain But did you have fever. I am constantly checking my temperature I try feeling my scrotum I feel like there is hematoma or some fluid in there doesn't feel natural. I am in some pain in my scrotum due to the pump stuck to the tissue of the scrotum. I am two weeks out. I am in a lot of pain.
Did your scrum turn red and swell?
Did you have fever?
Did you notice anything else?
Did penile shaft swell up?

any information really helps thank you.
26 years old
PFS- HF/LF for 3 years
Implanted titan May 2nd
DR.Clavell

newbie443

Postby newbie443 » Wed May 17, 2023 4:46 am

woodturner wrote:Last Dec I had a revision surgery to replace an implant that had sprung a leak after 8 years.

About 3-1/2 weeks later the surgical site opened up about 1" and a lot of fluid came out.
Strangely enough I never had any pain. About 2 days later they went in and found so much infection that they put a malleable in as a place holder.

5 days ago (5 months since the malleable), at my request, the malleable was removed and an IPP was installed.
This time there is a lot of bruising but the only pain is where they put the reservoir in. The pain is mild enough for Tylenol.
What I didn't realize was that Inflatable revisions carry a 10% chance of infection. I think the surgeon was more upset about it than I was.

I guess I can now claim that I've had 4 different implants over a 5 month period. I would have preferred to stop at the 2nd implant last December.

For the last surgery did your doctor do cultures of the biofilm surrounding the malleable? Research I have found seems to indicate that the components of the device have a percentage of men with high amounts of bacteria in the biofilm that surrounds those components. For my repair I was given 2 full IV's of antibiotics (one after the other), and all the biofilm that was disturbed was cultured. I had my left cylinder removed and a sling made and then reinstalled. These cultures were checked for some months, and all came back negative. Some of the info I have seen indicated that the reason for the cultures is that the IV antibiotics do not cover all the possible bacteria. And if the cultures do show bacteria, then the proper antibiotics can be ordered. I was really impressed with this. Through my portal with the med center, I was able to see this in the doctor's or notes and kept getting notified every time the lab checked the cultures and sent a report to the doctor. This is the reason or one of the reasons that revision surgery has a higher infection rate. I was lucky in that all my cultures were negative for bacteria. Either they were clean to begin with or the IV antibiotics killed them all.
Injections failed. Implanted 3-21-18 AMS 700 LGX 21 + 1 RTE 100 cc reservoir 6.5" L 5" G Dr. Kramer.

Proximal Perforation Sling Repair 4/13/21 Dr. Broghammer

66 years young.

Will show and tell and talk with others.

Floridaspeedo

Postby Floridaspeedo » Wed May 17, 2023 5:50 am

woodturner wrote:Last Dec I had a revision surgery to replace an implant that had sprung a leak after 8 years.

For all that grief, at least they kept giving you a larger implant.

You sir have gone through a journey with your IPP.

Best of luck.
ED survivor 5 years. Tried pills, Gainswave, PRP, Bi-Mix/Tri Mix (worked 50% but very painful for 24 hours after injection.) 55 Gay - Single Titan Coloplast implanted June 1st, 2022, scrotal in Miami by Dr Billy Cordone..,very happy. Zero regrets

Frenchie

Postby Frenchie » Wed May 17, 2023 7:20 am

10% risk of infection for revisions seems terrifying? Is this really true? But at least they could still fit a IPP after infection, goes to show that infection is not the end of everything
Venous like since I was 20 years old. Pills don't work too well. Thinking of implant in the future

Old Guy

Postby Old Guy » Wed May 17, 2023 9:12 am

Dang, four in five months is more than any guy should have to endure. Hope this last one works for a long long time.
Nov. 8, 2019
4+ years, Coloplast Titan OTR
Married 36 years to my beautiful young bride
Always here to answer questions if you PM me

1380anthony

Postby 1380anthony » Wed May 17, 2023 11:12 am

Frenchie wrote:

10% risk of infection for revisions seems terrifying? Is this really true? But at least they could still fit a IPP after infection, goes to show that infection is not the end of everything

Scary

1380anthony

Postby 1380anthony » Wed May 17, 2023 11:13 am

Why so many revisions? Who is your surgeon?

woodturner

Postby woodturner » Wed May 17, 2023 12:16 pm

I am seeing questions from people about this. I will try to answer them.

Symptoms: The only symptoms I had when I had the infection was extreme exhaustion. I remember the one day
it took all I had to eat a 1/2 serving of yogurt for lunch. I did not have any swelling or pain of any type.
The incision location did not turn red.
I could feel the interior sutures breaking over several days. I thought it was because they were starting to dissolve.
I now know that it was the infection weakening the suture site.

Testing: I do not know what testing was done on the bio-film if any. However, I had ZERO problems with the malleable.
I just wanted it replaced with an IPP. For me a 24/7 boner becomes inconvenient.

Overall: I have had very little pain through all of this. For me, It was irritating and inconvenient. For me, It is a 2-1/2 hour drive to Salt Lake City. Where I live there isn't anybody that does implants. Given the circumstances I consider myself to be quite fortunate overall.
Total ED since a 6/2010 RPA. Pills and injections didn't work. 2nd revision with a Coloplast Titan (24CM w & 2CM RTEs)on 12/15/2022. 68 years old

Return to “Implants”