Implant failure

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
JohnHC

Implant failure

Postby JohnHC » Fri May 05, 2023 5:17 pm

Well my Dr wanted me to see another Dr in the practice to get a second opinion about my implant failing ( right at 3 weeks post op ), this Dr has been doing them since the 80's and he also has never seen a case like mine. It will not inflate, after deflating while squeezing the shaft you get maybe 3 pumps and then the pump is flattened and won't refill. He said with the air that's obvious in the system from the squishing sound ( which they remove all air or purge the system during the operation ) that he thinks a line has come disconnected, the pump has failed, or maybe the reservoir has failed. At best he said it would be a disconnected line which they could fix, at worst they'll have to replace everything ( ughhh ). I've never seen a Dr get so giddy about it though, he said for them to let my Dr know he'll help out on this case, and to be sure to put that in the notes, then said I'll call him to tell him I'll help on the case but be sure to call and put that in the notes also. Have a CT scan setup to scan the reservoir to see if it's damaged then followup to discuss findings. After that followup it will be right at 6 weeks post op, then if I get expedited surgery it'll be almost another 6 weeks before I can use it. I can tell you my wife isn't a very happy camper right now, I told her you're not happy? I was hoping to be able to use it for my birthday in a few days and now that's not gonna happen for several more weeks. Nothing like being a case study for a failed implant that none of the Drs have ever experienced before, especially not one that has failed so early... Just so messed up, glad I get more than 2 weeks vacation for work or it'd be really difficult to get it scheduled. I just hope this recovery is even easier than the original surgery.
AMS 700 CX 21cm x 12mm with 1.5cm RTE, MS pump, and Conceal Reservoir. Implanted on 4-12-2023 removed and replaced 6-22-23 with the same, 1st implant surgery had pinhole leak in left cylinder. Now awaiting third surgery unknown failure.

Hillywilly

Re: Implant failure

Postby Hillywilly » Fri May 05, 2023 5:57 pm

John,

That's awful man I can only imagine how frustrated you are. I would be screaming top of my lungs at AMS or whoever messed this up.

Perhaps another Expert implanter can get you in sooner??
33 HG deformity now Titan OTR 24cm XL + 1 cm RTE's Length 7.25in/ Girth 6in (midshaft) Dr. Hakky 4/4/23

Jage64

Postby Jage64 » Fri May 05, 2023 7:54 pm

I'm very interested to hear what the ultimate cause of this malfunction is, but I'm happier to hear you're getting it resolved as soon as possible. I'm sure your recovery will be easier this time, your junk has already endured the insult, now it's "just" replacing things.

As a recipient of the very same medical device, I hope they're able to determine where the fault is. Hopefully they do some sort of forensic look at the device and are able to determine if it was doctor error or device failure. (and tell you the truth)

Godspeed brother.
2/22/23 AMS 700 CX 21cm + 1.5cm RTEs. 58 yrs old, wife of 37 yrs. Penoscrotal. 100ml Conceal reservoir. Dr. Clavell. Pills failing and went right to implant, skipped the injections. 12 mos. later: 7 1/2" x 5 3/4"

JohnHC

Postby JohnHC » Fri May 05, 2023 8:20 pm

I'm hoping it's quick as well and that they tell me what happened. I'm sure they'll look it over before sending it to Boston Scientific, I think since I've spoken to one of their reps and told them about it that they've already requested the device be sent to them if it needs replacing. I told the Dr that it's just my luck that after 2 plus years trying to get it ( because of the covid lockdown ) I end up with the bum one.
AMS 700 CX 21cm x 12mm with 1.5cm RTE, MS pump, and Conceal Reservoir. Implanted on 4-12-2023 removed and replaced 6-22-23 with the same, 1st implant surgery had pinhole leak in left cylinder. Now awaiting third surgery unknown failure.

JohnHC

Postby JohnHC » Tue May 09, 2023 6:49 pm

I'll post a update after my Drs followup. I have a CT scan to check the reservoir on May 11th then follow up with the Dr on May 17th. They'll probably draw out the surgery for 3 to 4 weeks. First full week of June I have to be out of town the whole week so really hoping they can get it done before then, then I have to wait another 6 weeks before use so that'll make the wait from original surgery 13 plus weeks at the earliest, to which I can say my wife is not in the least bit pleased ( nor I for that matter )

Cnidium

Postby Cnidium » Tue May 09, 2023 7:46 pm

Do you mind telling us original surgeon and the revision surgeon?

Also, are your options dependent on your insurance?
Titan OTR. Dr. Hakky - successful surgery and very happy with outcome.
My advice: choose a world-class surgeon and make yourself the healthiest you can.

Jage64

Postby Jage64 » Tue May 09, 2023 7:55 pm

Cnidium wrote:Do you mind telling us original surgeon

That's probably not fair until they determine where/why the failure happened.
2/22/23 AMS 700 CX 21cm + 1.5cm RTEs. 58 yrs old, wife of 37 yrs. Penoscrotal. 100ml Conceal reservoir. Dr. Clavell. Pills failing and went right to implant, skipped the injections. 12 mos. later: 7 1/2" x 5 3/4"

Gt1956

Postby Gt1956 » Tue May 09, 2023 10:05 pm

Jage64 wrote:

I agree. But I will say that lots of members would be interested in hearing how the insurance handles the problem. That issue sure seems to come up frequently.
Btw, op. I do wish you the best of luck.
68yo, HBP at 40, high triglycerides at 45. Phimosis at 57. Type 2 at 60. Dr. William Brant May 1, 2023 CX 21cm w/no rte's penoscrotal 6" girth @ 6 months

Craigohbig

Postby Craigohbig » Wed May 10, 2023 7:18 am

Gt1956 wrote:
Jage64 wrote:

I agree. But I will say that lots of members would be interested in hearing how the insurance handles the problem. That issue sure seems to come up frequently.
Btw, op. I do wish you the best of luck.

It’s obviously fair to tell everyone about the person who is so incompetent (and doesn’t seem to be in a big hurry) that they’re ruining your life.
More than fair
42 ED for 9 years vl after a fall. Pre implant 8 1/4 bp x 6 1/8 ish
Clavell titan 26+1 rte…post op very excited: 8 5/8” x 6 1/4” (7” base)
Starting to lose some length

JohnHC

Postby JohnHC » Wed May 10, 2023 12:30 pm

I know that my surgeon did things right. They cycled the pump several times before closing me up and again after stitching everything up. They purged the air from the system and he fills the reservoirs to capacity ( he doesn't understand fill them.) I'm a bigger guy so maybe, just maybe he didn't make the reservoir pocket big enough and possibly added pressure from going to the restroom may have caused it to burst or leak, I'm not sure that that is the issue though and probably won't know for sure until they open me up to make repairs unless it's obvious on the CT scan tomorrow that the reservoir is to blame. As far as I know my Dr will be doing the revision probably with the help of the second Dr to assist / observe. As far as insurance goes, I have a high deductable ( which was met with original surgery ) and they do not require pre approval for anything that's covered, and this is covered so no worries there, although I probably have to pay the copay for the hospital and anesthesia but probably not for the device. My only real issue is going to be the wait for the surgery as I really wanted to be using this by now instead of having to wait another 6 to 9 weeks before I can. Again the surgeon I doubt had anything to do with it failing ( unless he forgot to glue or whatever they do to join the tubes ) because it was holding up great for right at two weeks before it pretty much started to leak down. The original surgery went well, swelling and bruising was pretty much localized to my scrotum, I was pretty much back to normal after about 8 days, and pretty much no pain, just discomfort from my scrotum being the size of a softball. But after I get the results when I talk to him next Wed the 17th I'll give another update.

Return to “Implants”