How can we ice post-op without getting anything wet?

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Bwtbbb

How can we ice post-op without getting anything wet?

Postby Bwtbbb » Fri May 05, 2023 7:49 am

I can't figure out how to ice in such a way that I can be certain everything will stay dry

ThailandBound

Re: How can we ice post-op without getting anything wet?

Postby ThailandBound » Fri May 05, 2023 7:58 am

What I did:

1. Use 2 Ziplock freezer bags. Good quality. (Ziplock brand).

2. Fill the first with ice. A lot. Zip up.

3. Put that filled bag in the 2nd bag. Zip up.

4. Put a small towel over your groin and then put the two bags on top. As the ice melts is will confirm to your body icing the penis snd scrotum, essentially encasing it. Leave it there as long as possible. I did it basically all day, for 4 days, replacing ice as necessary.

You won’t get wet and the encasement distributes the cold everywhere you need it.

For me, this helped a lot. I had very little bruising and swelling, and very little pain.
Active, athletic 63 years old. Sexually, still 33 in my mind and spirit. Pills and injections all worked, until they didn’t. Diagnosed with veinous leakage in 2022. Coloplast Titan. 22 CM. No RTE. Peno-scrotal. Implanted 1/4/23. Dr. Clavell.

Old Guy

Postby Old Guy » Fri May 05, 2023 8:21 am

Buy a couple bags of frozen peas. They will conform to your shape easier. Same method, in a baggie and use a towel.
Nov. 8, 2019
4+ years, Coloplast Titan OTR
Married 36 years to my beautiful young bride
Always here to answer questions if you PM me

Bwtbbb

Postby Bwtbbb » Fri May 05, 2023 8:28 am

ThailandBound wrote:What I did:

1. Use 2 Ziplock freezer bags. Good quality. (Ziplock brand).

2. Fill the first with ice. A lot. Zip up.

3. Put that filled bag in the 2nd bag. Zip up.

4. Put a small towel over your groin and then put the two bags on top. As the ice melts is will confirm to your body icing the penis snd scrotum, essentially encasing it. Leave it there as long as possible. I did it basically all day, for 4 days, replacing ice as necessary.

You won’t get wet and the encasement distributes the cold everywhere you need it.

For me, this helped a lot. I had very little bruising and swelling, and very little pain.

Thanks, are the gallon size ones ok? https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... NS44&psc=1

I don't think I understand your 4th step. Do you put the towel on top of the penis and the bag on top of it too so that it hangs down the sides of your penis? Would this not be heavy and a lot of weight on the penis?

Hillywilly

Postby Hillywilly » Fri May 05, 2023 8:54 am

Great question. I avoided icing just to not get things wet and it was not a good idea took much longer and a beta blocker prescription to get my swelling down a few weeks later. But at same time put a covering over the incision site.
33 HG deformity now Titan OTR 24cm XL + 1 cm RTE's Length 7.25in/ Girth 6in (midshaft) Dr. Hakky 4/4/23

newbie443

Postby newbie443 » Fri May 05, 2023 10:31 am

Bwtbbb wrote:I can't figure out how to ice in such a way that I can be certain everything will stay dry

I went to the store and bought 3 bags of dry beans. Then I put them in the zip lock bags to protect them. I used pinto beans because I like them and cooked them after I was done with using them for cold packs.

1. They are dry and do not clump up like ice or frozen veggies that have water in them.

2. They are dry and cannot then get anything wet if there is no water like melting ice or water in bags of frozen veggies.

You can use a thin dish towel or thicker hand towel around them. I used 3 bags so I could rotate them as they take a while to recharge or get really cold again.

I hope this helps. Worked great for me.
Injections failed. Implanted 3-21-18 AMS 700 LGX 21 + 1 RTE 100 cc reservoir 6.5" L 5" G Dr. Kramer.

Proximal Perforation Sling Repair 4/13/21 Dr. Broghammer

66 years young.

Will show and tell and talk with others.

Bwtbbb

Postby Bwtbbb » Fri May 05, 2023 10:35 am

newbie443 wrote:
Bwtbbb wrote:I can't figure out how to ice in such a way that I can be certain everything will stay dry

I went to the store and bought 3 bags of dry beans. Then I put them in the zip lock bags to protect them. I used pinto beans because I like them and cooked them after I was done with using them for cold packs.

1. They are dry and do not clump up like ice or frozen veggies that have water in them.

2. They are dry and cannot then get anything wet if there is no water like melting ice or water in bags of frozen veggies.

You can use a thin dish towel or thicker hand towel around them. I used 3 bags so I could rotate them as they take a while to recharge or get really cold again.

I hope this helps. Worked great for me.

Thank you. What do you mean by recharge?

newbie443

Postby newbie443 » Fri May 05, 2023 10:44 am

They need to get cold again or recharge. They just transfer the cold from being in the freezer to you so they are not as cold after you use them for a while. A 3 bag rotation gave the bags plenty of time to get really cold again in the freezer. Your doctor will have instructions on how to ice. That is how long and how often. Too much cold for too long can even cause problems. You need a break to warm things up a bit. At least that is what my doctors instructions were. Ask your doctor about this. This may be in your discharge instructions.
Injections failed. Implanted 3-21-18 AMS 700 LGX 21 + 1 RTE 100 cc reservoir 6.5" L 5" G Dr. Kramer.

Proximal Perforation Sling Repair 4/13/21 Dr. Broghammer

66 years young.

Will show and tell and talk with others.

dg_moore

Postby dg_moore » Fri May 05, 2023 10:53 am

Search Amazon for Ice Bags. They have dozens of them
Dave, 80, Maryland - Implant (Titan) 2008 by Dr. Andrew Kramer (failed Sept 2020) - never used due to a stroke that, among other things, ended my sex life.
Life is not the way it's supposed to be, it's the way it is.

Gt1956

Postby Gt1956 » Fri May 05, 2023 12:12 pm

Honestly, I used the hospital ice bag. Anytime you're using real ice you'll get some moisture. Even condenses out of the air. I had some thick dish towels called "bar keepers" clothes. Very cheap at restaurant supply stores, we already had them. I kept a pile of clean underwear set out. If I was wetter than I was comfortable with I just changed clothes. Kind of a therapy thing for me, kept my mind busy. Oh, I used lots of Aspercreme on my shaft, sack & groin bruising. That is mildly greasy so that provided some water resistance. So clean underwear was appreciated.
I know that they say to keep the area dry but where I was getting wet wasn't near my incision. So I think that I complied with the directions.
I ate lots of fruits to help with the constipation. I didn't have a serious problem so I think it worked.
Best I can say is be prepared. Each recovery is different. Be willing to adapt to your conditions.
68yo, HBP at 40, high triglycerides at 45. Phimosis at 57. Type 2 at 60. Dr. William Brant May 1, 2023 CX 21cm w/no rte's penoscrotal 6" girth @ 6 months

Return to “Implants”