Which implant to choose? AMS or Coloplast

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Jage64

Re: Which implant to choose? AMS or Coloplast

Postby Jage64 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:08 pm

There's no argument for personal experience 2435tjklAS, you're seeing gains so that's the good news!

You're right, I'm sure the 25% number is at the outer edge of what their lawyers say they can defend if they had to, based on some esoteric equation. I'm certain that the vast majority of men are enamored with the thought of their dick being bigger after implantation, didn't we all secretly wish that was going to be the case and we were disappointed to find out that the opposite is more likely true?

My assumption is that if Coloplast thought it was a marketing hustle worth pursuing they would have come out with a competing product that grew in length by now too. Seems it's just another product that may or may not work best in all the billions of different penises out there. No two are alike, so I suppose it's good to have a paltry 4 choices.
2/22/23 AMS 700 CX 21cm + 1.5cm RTEs. 58 yrs old, wife of 37 yrs. Penoscrotal. 100ml Conceal reservoir. Dr. Clavell. Pills failing and went right to implant, skipped the injections. 12 mos. later: 7 1/2" x 5 3/4"

misterecz

Postby misterecz » Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:15 pm

Guys, the 25% length expansion claim is because the AMS *contracts* the most. This is why the Titan can potentially give dog ears and a bigger bulge.
A way that would be better phrased is that "the AMS contracts 25%". A surgeon would not implant you with a contracted cylinder, but rather the maximal length of the cylinder. So a 21cm AMS will not go over 21cm.

At least this is my understanding from what i've seen over the years.

Now, the reason I think that 2435tjklAS is seeing more gains the usual is because of his use of VED and stretching the implant. In theory, due to the material of the AMS LGX this allowed it to expand more. But that is only because of VED usage.
Peyronie's From Rough Sex in 2020.
Developed Erectile Dysfunction, Dorsal, & Lateral Curvature.
Treated With Traction, VED, DMSO, & PGE1.
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@mrecz

Mark1974

Postby Mark1974 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:50 pm

My understanding is the dog ears come from the bioflex material that the cylinders are constructed from.

The AMS cylinders are made from silicone I think. Since most sex toys are made from silicone I think I feel best about that material
I was born in 1974. I've had venous leak ED since early 30's, but managed with pde5 inhibitors until mid 40's. I have fairly severe hour-glassing, but no hard plaques. My urologist is worldwide acknowledged expert Dr. Laurence Levine

Gt1956

Postby Gt1956 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:03 pm

I've heard the argument's that the LGX shrinks 25%. A study that has been quoted on FT a few times a year for as long as I've been a member clearly shows that the 18cm stretches to 21cm. The 21cm stretches to 24cm. It does NOT say that the 21cm shrinks to 18cm. Btw, it also shows that the Titan does stretch a little but no where near what the LGX does.
68yo, HBP at 40, high triglycerides at 45. Phimosis at 57. Type 2 at 60. Dr. William Brant May 1, 2023 CX 21cm w/no rte's penoscrotal 6" girth @ 6 months

misterecz

Postby misterecz » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:27 pm

Gt1956 wrote:I've heard the argument's that the LGX shrinks 25%. A study that has been quoted on FT a few times a year for as long as I've been a member clearly shows that the 18cm stretches to 21cm. The 21cm stretches to 24cm. It does NOT say that the 21cm shrinks to 18cm. Btw, it also shows that the Titan does stretch a little but no where near what the LGX does.

Are you talking about this study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... prostheses.

This part confirms what I said before the length changes between being filled or not. What would prove things one way or another is a study that takes an LGX 21cm cylinder and measures its length after a certain period of time with cycling. This would ideally be done outside of the body, but I wasn't able to find anything that tested that.
Peyronie's From Rough Sex in 2020.
Developed Erectile Dysfunction, Dorsal, & Lateral Curvature.
Treated With Traction, VED, DMSO, & PGE1.
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@mrecz

Gt1956

Postby Gt1956 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:02 pm

misterecz wrote:
Gt1956 wrote:I've heard the argument's that the LGX shrinks 25%. A study that has been quoted on FT a few times a year for as long as I've been a member clearly shows that the 18cm stretches to 21cm. The 21cm stretches to 24cm. It does NOT say that the 21cm shrinks to 18cm. Btw, it also shows that the Titan does stretch a little but no where near what the LGX does.

Are you talking about this study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... prostheses.
This part confirms what I said before the length changes between being filled or not. What would prove things one way or another is a study that takes an LGX 21cm cylinder and measures its length after a certain period of time with cycling. This would ideally be done outside of the body, but I wasn't able to find anything that tested that.

Nope, not that one. All I have saved is the length comparison chart. I'm fairly certain its in the suggested reading links on the main menu. I'll spend a few minutes to see if I can find it.
68yo, HBP at 40, high triglycerides at 45. Phimosis at 57. Type 2 at 60. Dr. William Brant May 1, 2023 CX 21cm w/no rte's penoscrotal 6" girth @ 6 months

Gt1956

Postby Gt1956 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:17 pm

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5654325/
I refer to table 1. Results seem self explanatory. Btw, it does show that the Titan grows in length when most peple claim that it does not grow.
Btw, Carrion & Hakky were involved in the study.

newbie443

Postby newbie443 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:42 am

Gt1956 wrote:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5654325/
I refer to table 1. Results seem self explanatory. Btw, it does show that the Titan grows in length when most peple claim that it does not grow.
Btw, Carrion & Hakky were involved in the study.

Jage64 wrote:
2435tjklAS wrote:If you want more length, AMS 700 LGX should help. It advertises as increasing length up to 25%, and I can confirm it did increase my length, so I believe you'd very likely be over 5" with good and consistent cycling/VED use

For me, this doesn't pass the smell test (not you 2435tjklAS, the AMS claims) . They advertise up to a 25% increase in length? C'mon man! Increase over what baseline? Flaccid? So if you have a 20cm implant installed you can expect to pump up to a 25cm implant? That's nearly 2" longer for us old school rubes. 25% of the distal portion of the implant? So if you're 10cm proximal and 10cm distal you'll have an additional 2.5cm of growth, or another inch on the business end of your penis?

It just don't make no sense.

Notice that they state the patient will have the "opportunity" to maintain or regain length, nothing about increasing length. That statement is a whole lot of nothing.

This study below, completed in 2018 (not 2010 like some AMS refers to in that ad) concluded this: "Implantation of the length expanding AMS 700 LGX cylinders are not sufficient for increasing stretched penile length." And their results after 12 months of the LGX being installed show "On average, there was a statistically significant decrease in stretched penile length (Figure 2b; 12.5–11.2 cm, P = 0.0016). There was no change in depth of prepubic fat and flaccid penile length across visits. An increase in stretched penile length was seen in only 6 (23.1%) patients" (emphasis added)

Most interesting to me is that AMS and Boston Scientific PAID for this study from 2018, yet they refer to studies from 2010 claiming the LGX will result in up to 25% increase in length, and also claim that patients had a median increase of 3cm in length, are doctors implanting 12cm cylinders somewhere? If the average cylinder implanted is 20cm (I don't know that), then a median increase of 3cm would be 15%.

25% increase makes me think of Inspector Gadget and his go go gadget arms.

There are also many studies showing that the rigidity of the LGX is much lower than the Titan or CX. I can only assume due to this "stretchable" portion of the cylinders.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6337945/

GT1956 I posted the same link back on page 2. Maybe you will have more luck with men looking at this. Jage64 What I look for in looking at these studies is things that don't make sense. Like why do a stretch test after a man is implanted? Just inflate the device. And how can you have accurate stretch tests at different times? Is there some machine that I don't know about? Talk about not smelling right. In table 1 of the published study linked to here and back on page 2 by me it is simple. The same amount of pressure was placed in each device and the results were recorded. Then you use the numbers for what they are. Now it is correct that the LGX is only capable of expanding that amount if there is room to do so. If there is not room for it to expand it will not. But if you have size loss and some of it is recoverable the LGX is capable of expanding the most. Are men going to be able to use all that 25%? Most likely not. But maybe so with a man who did not use VED therapy prior to surgery. However there is a lot of difference between that 25% and the amount the Titan will expand in length. Even in the other study I did not quote here that has lower expansion numbers (they did not define what full inflation was and how they did the test) it is still admitted that the LGX is best for men with lost size over the Titan.

Is it exploited with advertisement? Of course. AMS would be foolish not to do so. Coloplast exploits the Titans stronger cylinders. They used to say the cylinders were good for up to millions of cycles. Will men use those millions of cycles? Not even close. If you divided that number by the percentage of increase over the AMS cylinders and used the admitted AMS durability number, again not even close to men being able to use that number of inflations. And where do you think the money comes from for research for the publications we read. The one I posted on page 2 that is the same as GT1956 posted was actually a Coloplast backed research to show cylinder rigidity.

The devices have differences and are better at different things. The Titan is better at straightening. It is considered better at girth but in some sizes the LGX was shown to match the Titan with the LGX size expansion. So I prefer that the Titan is as good as or better than the LGX for girth. Both are equally good for infection rates. The Titan pump has been posted as being noisy. Quacking is a term used. Titan is considered to have a better erection angle but again some LGX owners contend that they have just as good towel hanging erections. Titans are available in larger sizes that AMS. Largest LGX is 21 cm and largest CX is 24 cm. Largest Titan is 22 cm and Tital XL are 24, 26, 28 cm.

As I said before I let my doctor choose the best device for me. My doctor did both brands fairly equally. Most doctors are biased towards one or the other and a number of doctors are one brand only. And you can see men are also. Understandable that a man is doing well with something he will support it. Men on this site have problems with both makes. Mostly pump and tubbing problems. I have not had a Titan implant so I cannot compare. From what I have read I do not think I would have had gains out past 1 year with a Titan. I went from approx. 4", just under my stretch length, at activation to over 6.5" after 2 years. I was just under 6" at 1 year so I have made gains well past 1 year. First time I had sex with a partner I was barely 5". I am still short of my healthy pre ed size. So again this is not enlargement but just getting back some of what I lost. Had my doctor decided that a Titan was best for me I would be telling of my experience with a Titan.
Injections failed. Implanted 3-21-18 AMS 700 LGX 21 + 1 RTE 100 cc reservoir 6.5" L 5" G Dr. Kramer.

Proximal Perforation Sling Repair 4/13/21 Dr. Broghammer

66 years young.

Will show and tell and talk with others.

Gt1956

Postby Gt1956 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:59 pm

Newbie443, I do need to apologize to you. It was late at night & I looked throgh the suggested reading links in the general discussion part of the forum not finding anything that looked familiar. I knew that you had posted the link several times before so I just rifled down through your history until I found it. I had intended to give you credit but like I said. Late at night. Yes, I stole the link from you.
I've seen reference to that study many times but I've never known where it was found at. Doesn't really matter alot now that its in multiple FT threads.
To me, a study must have repeatable results. While I don't have access to test implants. I do have the ability to see the end results of the members here.
I remember a member that went from a 24cm CX to a 26cm Titan. He is still upset that he lost some serious length. The ONLY way that was possible was that his 24cm CX had stretched more than 26cm. So in my mind that proves that it is at least possible to get AMS products to stretch. But we do need to understand that the tunica is tough & it will limit growth outside of its range limit.
In that study, they used 20psi as a max test pressure. The first time I saw table 1. The forum had a discusdion about if the common pump sizes could generate 20psi. A member did some calculations & said 20psi was possible. Btw, he is a regular poster & I believe his calculations were correctly done. My related experience to small bulbs & pressure. In my ATV days. I had a friend that fashioned a tire pump out of a blood pressure cuff bulb. It inflated ATV tires very well.
Hype, even Dr. Krammer in 1 of his now deleted YouTube videos mentions that Titan was a great name. I'm sure that some mens egos want the model whose name equates giant.
At the end of the day. We are lucky to have the selection that we do have. There is an implant for every penis.

newbie443

Postby newbie443 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:25 pm

Gt1956 wrote:Newbie443, I do need to apologize to you. It was late at night & I looked throgh the suggested reading links in the general discussion part of the forum not finding anything that looked familiar. I knew that you had posted the link several times before so I just rifled down through your history until I found it. I had intended to give you credit but like I said. Late at night. Yes, I stole the link from you.
I've seen reference to that study many times but I've never known where it was found at. Doesn't really matter alot now that its in multiple FT threads.
To me, a study must have repeatable results. While I don't have access to test implants. I do have the ability to see the end results of the members here.
I remember a member that went from a 24cm CX to a 26cm Titan. He is still upset that he lost some serious length. The ONLY way that was possible was that his 24cm CX had stretched more than 26cm. So in my mind that proves that it is at least possible to get AMS products to stretch. But we do need to understand that the tunica is tough & it will limit growth outside of its range limit.
In that study, they used 20psi as a max test pressure. The first time I saw table 1. The forum had a discussion about if the common pump sizes could generate 20psi. A member did some calculations & said 20psi was possible. Btw, he is a regular poster & I believe his calculations were correctly done. My related experience to small bulbs & pressure. In my ATV days. I had a friend that fashioned a tire pump out of a blood pressure cuff bulb. It inflated ATV tires very well.
Hype, even Dr. Krammer in 1 of his now deleted YouTube videos mentions that Titan was a great name. I'm sure that some mens egos want the model whose name equates giant.
At the end of the day. We are lucky to have the selection that we do have. There is an implant for every penis.

I have saved any link that I found worthwhile in my favorites folder in a sub folder for FT. I do not put any of the ones in the Documents worth reading list as there is no need. Men can easily go to that thread and look for the information. No need for me to do that work for them and they may actually find some other worthwhile reading that helps them. But if the report is not there for men to look for I will post a link.

No need to apologize as I was merely pointing out the fact that others seemed to ignore the information for whatever reason. As far as the study it seems to have problems in other areas. At least it raises questions when I read the report for what it was intended. And I looked at the pictures of the tests being done. Again Hakky was a Coloplast COE doctor and is very biased for Coloplast. If you look at the photo's you will find that they appear to use different mounting systems for the implants in the test equitment. Look in figure 4 and you can see the difference in the mounting of the LGX top vs, Titan in the bottom. This study was the subject of a lot of discussion the first time I was on FT with a different user name. The mounting differences was pointed out as was the fact that the study shows 2 things. One the longer the device the less rigid. Two the AMS LGX devices used were longer than the counterpart Titan. The 18cm devices the LGX expanded in length to 21 cm and the Titan to just 18.5. And similar for the longer sizes. So, in fact a 21cm device was being compared to a 18.5cm device. That with the dissimilar device mounting that appeared to me to have the good possibility of offering more support for the Titan and less for the LGX would seem to not be a fair comparison. And why some men with an LGX report a 1 o'clock towel hanging erection the same as the Titan. I do think that the Titan has an advantage and it was not necessary to favor the method for the Titan but it looks very probable to me that it was favored because things were closer than were wanted by someone at Coloplast.

Another thing is that I have always wondered about device specifications. Just what pressure is each device operated. Does the Titan with heavier cylinders use a higher pressure? I know my LGX has a pressure release valve and will only pump up to a certain pressure. What is that pressure. It seems to be in place to prevent cylinder and other damage. Maybe the reason there seems to be less tubbing damage with AMS devices.

The point is that the device manufactures are in business to sell a produce and spend money for studies that show the device they sell is better. I would like to think that a Coloplast only doctor would refer a patient to another doctor if that man was much better suited for an AMS device and the same with a AMS only doctor. That I think is not the case. That is why we need to look at the reports and ask questions about anything we see that gives us pause.

The study with the comparison of stretch tests I guess just was a great big obvious red flag. One I have not seen any standard for a stretch. Two is that stretch tests are considered to be bull shit and some doctors do not even do them. With out a device to accurately apply a precise amount of pressure the stretch will very even by the same doctor from day to day. And to try to use this for a man pre op and 1 year post op just seemed way less than scientific and most like done to skew results. But that is what companies do. They come up with bs like that all the time. And they seem to hide the real information that would give us a clearer understanding of the differences.

In this case I took information from a Coloplast favored study to show an advantage that an AMS device has. That would seem to forego a skew in favor of AMS. The process of simply and accurately applying equal internal pressure to 2 different makes of devices and measuring the results seems to be solid research. Without evidence of different equipment use to inflate and or measure then these numbers are received with less questions. But we really do not know. Is it possible that different people used different devices to inflate and measure at different times and even locations? Maybe. I then look at the pictures in the other tests and it does seem to me that in those pictures the LGX is longer than the Titan. So it appears that the information of the expansion of the LGX is accurate.

I would like to think that I would be the same if the companies were switched. For example, if someone tried to say the Titans superior ability to straighten deformities was bs and the CX was better. Or if Titans advantage in larger sizes was BS. Or smelled bad if you will. I really hate to see men have to go to a brand specific doctor. What you get is men with a CX that should have had a Titan and men with Titans who really should have had an LGX. Not a lot but even a few is too many. The doctors should have referred men to other doctors.
Injections failed. Implanted 3-21-18 AMS 700 LGX 21 + 1 RTE 100 cc reservoir 6.5" L 5" G Dr. Kramer.

Proximal Perforation Sling Repair 4/13/21 Dr. Broghammer

66 years young.

Will show and tell and talk with others.

Return to “Implants”